So, really, we are working to strengthen our collaboration and have every educational partner have a voice in the work that we do. Students from . Research and experience show that equity policies are a useful marker of a school districts commitment to closing historic opportunity gaps. There are so many pieces to a school district, from nutrition to grounds maintenance, operations and business services. Bailey: It was March 13, 2020, when we had to do the hard shutdown. Bailey: I think youre constantly in an engagement role as a superintendent: engagement with staff, with students, with community, always keeping everyone centered on our true north. Dr. May-Vollmar, can you talk more about that? This is a beautiful home on a large lot with RV access. Two, I will work to increase student safety. And, over the past five years, I celebrate the innovative spirit that served the students and the community so well. declined less than the average DRI school district over the last 10 years. What accomplishments are you most proud of in the last few years at Desert Sands? Desert Sands Unified School District. There are two elections here: one for the short term and one for the . Company reviews. Jacob Alvarez:Notwithstanding my three children attending school within DSUSD, I understand the importance of education. Phone Number (760) 777-4200. An all-day event geared toward students from all three Coachella Valley school districts, the expo kicks-off at 8:45 a.m. on May 4 in the campus' Indian Wells Theater. Well continue to have the highest focus on security to make sure that we are taking care of all the people that enter our doors everyday. Michael Duran:There are still some areas that I am passionate about, such as music, the fine arts and counseling. School Districts with 2,500 or more enrolled students. 33670586118855. We have a competitive salary and benefit package to offer our employees along with excellent working . We appreciate your interest in volunteering for the Desert Sands Unified School District. And, its not just physical safety. Desert Sands Unified School District. However, labor-management disagreements can be expressed in other lower-stakes ways like filing formal bargaining impasses to the statewide labor relations board. parentvue desert sands, Url: https://www.greatschools.org/california/la-quinta/desert-sands-unified-school-district/ Go Now, Get more: Parentvue desert sandsView Schools, Schools Details: WebHorizon School is a school of choice within Desert Sands Unified School District ("DSUSD") that provides students with the following programs: TK-12 Virtual parentvue desert sands unified, Url: https://horizon.dsusd.us/about_us Go Now, Get more: Parentvue desert sands unifiedView Schools, Schools Details: WebHigh school graduate or equivalent is preferred We are pleased that you have expressed an interest in employment with our district. Research and experience show that a key barrier to greater engagement with families and communities is untranslated and difficult to understand language (Marsh, 2007; Marsh et al., 2015). How did we determine this? Desert Sands Unified has Clearly, DSUSD is a recognized leader in innovation. Fax Number. How did we determine this? I have been a member of the Association of California School Administrators for 26 year. We springboarded off that concept and ended up getting emergency to-go preparedness kits for every classroom in the district. I want to make sure any and all programs purchased do not turn into wasted tax payer money. One winning team created an emergency preparedness to-go kit. Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. professional growth, career advancement. Human Resources Development . Trustee Area 2. Three, providing a quality education for all students at all levels, by adding resources to expose our students to technical careers and high-skilled trades all while continuing rigorous college preparation programs. I cant wait to hold my little granddaughter as much as possible in the near future, and Ill have the flexibility to do that. The Desert Sands Unified School District Board of Education voted unanimously to renew its contract through the 2024-2025 school year with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department for two . The new platform replaced an old system whereby flagged email was sent to the districts three-person Teachers on Special Assignment (TOSA) team. I would fight to ensure that students and teachers are equipped to continue the transition with the support they need. Combined with "real human" monitoring, the solution helps the district make quickand sometimes lifesavingdecisions. smaller share of the budget than the average DRI school district on its central (760) 777-4200. Maryalice Alberg Owings recently retired as a principal in Desert Sands Unified. educational outcomes. The Future Is Here! More:DSUSD Superintendent Scott Bailey to retire at end of school year, More:Desert Sands Unified School District could hire next superintendent Tuesday. He is a past president of a La Quinta school site council and served three terms as a chairperson of the Desert Sands district advisory committee. Director of Certificated Human Resources, Recruitment, Retention & Leadership Development, Director of Certificated Human Resources, Labor Relations, Address 150 District Center Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92264. The starting salary for a new teacher will increase from $54,000 to $60,000 dollars per year. office. Desert Sands Unified School District. opportunities for two-way communication with families, Self-rated readiness to develop relationships with families, Created a student member seat on its board of education, Publishes The Human Resource office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. 90% or more teachers with three or more years teaching experience, Employs May-Vollmar: I would just add that were really focused on students first. The Desert Sun: How are you feeling about the leadership transition? I think we can find a place where we can work together to find whats best for our students. RESOURCES & SERVICES . The reports, which are unaudited actuals, include data on school district revenues and expenses, the current expense of education calculation, and more. District Details. I would also advocate for improved mental health services, as well as increased pre-college and vocational training. May-Vollmar had been the assistant superintendent of educational services, and before that, she was the districts chief innovation and information officer. Editor's Note: This is the first story in a series of Q&A discussions between The Desert Sun and the superintendents of each of the Coachella Valley's K-12 school districts. One race is for a short term that could potentially last only several days before the winner of the full term takes office in December. The 12.5% salary increase is the highest implemented in the recent history of the Beaumont Unified School District, and among the highest in Riverside County for the 2022-23 school year. Gaggle has helped the district save a student life every year since its implementation and enabled educators to intervene in cases of bullying and self-harm. April 16, 2019. Riverside County SELPA is committed to meeting the unique needs of each student, their parents, and the educational professionals who support them. This page contains resources on school finance produced by the Learning Policy Institute and other research organizations and leading school finance researchers. I equate my time at Desert Sands to a five-plus year lease. I believe in supporting the teachers, students, district and the community. Resources. Well continue to build on the amazing foundation that Scott has laid. Caps employees and retirees healthcare benefits spending, Does not cover retirees lifetime health benefits, One or fewer qualified budget certifications in the last five years, No negative budget certifications in the last five years, Two or fewer superintendents between SY 2012-13 and 2018-19, Employs Theres nothing wrong with change, but its hard even when its good. strong foundations to improve strong foundations in 621 East Sixth St. Holtville, CA 92250-1450. These kinds of relationships can help educators replace deficit approaches to families capacities (Baquedano-Lopez et al., 2013) with a view that values the assets they bring to their childrens education (Mapp & Kuttner, 2014). Research and experience show that an important predictor of future financial uncertainty is prior financial concern (EdSource/School Services of California, 2006). As of 2017, DSUSD serves 28,958 students in Indio, La Quinta, Palm Desert, Indian Wells, Bermuda Dunes, and parts of Rancho Mirage and Coachella. Our graduation rates are the best in the valley. Moreover, additional experienced teachers tend to benefit not just their classrooms but the school as a whole (Kini & Podolsky, 2016) as teachers support one another to improve practice. . May-Vollmar: Throughout the pandemic we relied on the student voice to help guide the decisions we made. These are challenging times, making it even more important to ensure there is public involvement in our public schools. Research and experience show that although superintendents may not have especially strong direct impacts on student achievement, (Myers, 2011; Chingos et al., 2014) they play an important role in setting an agenda for education (Alsbury, 2008). Then, we added into that a values-based employee recognition program, and that program continued to thrive through the pandemic even though we were all isolated. . (Opponents of ethnic studies curriculum, mask mandates and proposed COVID-19 vaccine mandates in schools had been trying to oust multiple DSUSD trustees.). Home; A-Z Index; About DSUSD. It is important that parents have a voice at the decision table and champion for processes that facilitate parents to have a voice. Desert Sands Unified has Race and National Origin Discrimination. Together, they stressed the importance of innovation, positive workplace culture and a student-centric approach to management. . Enrollments Whether its building new schools or renovating old ones, I will work to have projects completed within budget or minimize budget cost. For more information regarding the employment process and procedures at Sierra Sands Unified School District. Thats huge.. We evaluated the following indicators: CFJ maintains that by seeing young people as experts on their educational experiences we can shift school culture, improve academic outcomes, and develop lifelong community and civic leaders. Jonathan Horwitz covers education for The Desert Sun. 760-413-2646. Type a first or last name and click 'Search' below (or enter on keyboard). The Desert Sands Unified School District (DSUSD) is a public school district with main offices located in La Quinta, California.The district was founded in 1964, after the California Department of Education consolidated all Indio public schools. Desert Sands Unified School District is committed to the students and the families of the communities that we serve. In an organization, especially one this big, when you have an environment where people feel free to take a risk or bring ideas forward that might have a districtwide impact to have better outcomes, that pays dividends. Research and experience show that principals play an important role in rolling out educational programs (Gates et al., 2019). Recruited by the Carlyle Group who had just purchased Verizon Hawaii and led brand transition to Hawaiian Telcom. I would like to see us invest more in arts, choir, band, music and lower physical education class sizes. 58 reviews. You will be requested to provide official . We also have to be incredibly selective about which technologies were going to implement in the district. The Center for Teaching, Learning, & Leading works in alliance with educators to improve teaching, learning, and leadership so every student is inspired and prepared to thrive as their best self. 25 Feb/23. We need to work with families to ensure students are attending school on a regular basis. Beto Alvarez:The district is doing well in providing access to technology for students and has ensured to modernize and maintain facilities. Videos; Hydrocolloid Guide; Books; History; Articles; Courses; News; Restaurants & Bars; shaka wear graphic tees is candy digital publicly traded ellen lawson wife of ted lawson la quinta high school staff. We need to encourage parents to be actively involved in their child's school, and everyone needs to communicate in a clear, respectful manner. Link opens new browser tab. Schools Details: In the 1930s and 1940s, Indio Public Schools consisted of Washington, Roosevelt, Jackson, Lincoln and Hoover schools, with the Jefferson school the sole junior high-level facility.In 1966, voters approved the consolidation of the Indio Elementary School District and the Coachella Valley Joint Union High School District, with . Fourth, ensuring that students are reading at grade level at 3rd grade. Human Resources Analytics . 4.2 out of 5 stars. Scott Baily:I believe the following areas the district is doing well: They maintain opportunities for all students, student safety is a priority, their technology, technology programs and their technology department last but not least is the district attracts and retains talented professionals. Education Calendars. The idea is that people need inspiration and a vision to rally around capitalizing on the power of inspiration. Kurt Schoppe, who is only running for the full length term, is a father of four Desert Sands graduates and a husband to a schoolteacher, Schoppe has spent his career in the environmental services industry and is a general manager of anorganics recycling company. Desert Sands Unified School District was selected . I believe there are pros and cons everywhere but this is the most fair and productive district that provides professional growth experience for all epmployees. . School is more than a desk, a book, and a teacher. Research and experience show that teachers who serve student bodies with shared backgrounds may be especially equipped to understand and meet these students needs. Paige Middle School - Special Education Teacher - Mild/Moderate Support Needs (Temporary Contract) Desert Sands Unified School District La Quinta, CA 1 week ago Be among the first 25 applicants Del Norte Unified School District prohibits unlawful discrimination against and/or harassment of district employees and job applicants on the basis of actual perceived race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion . 9 Middle Schools. Because these teachers are often concentrated in schools with greater shares of low-income students and Black and Latino students, inaccessibility to experienced teachers can widen achievement gaps (Peske & Haycock, 2006). work environment. I think continuing those practices is essential. Bailey: I think its a track record. And when you implement technology that way, you get the right technology for the right purpose. This data is collected annually directly from State Education Agencies , Url: https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/districtsearch/district_detail.asp?details=1&ID2=0611110 Go Now. Financial data are available at the school district and state levels only. Mathematics Proficiency. How did you maintain a good climate and culture at Desert Sands? Districts that predominantly serve historically disadvantaged student groups that yield exceptionally high student performance are especially likely to benefit from stable leadership (Burns et al., 2019). She has over 35 years of experience in public education, and was a member of the Association of California School Administrators for 26 years. sapien, porta accumsan montes vehicula potenti nisl erat. Research and experience show that declines in enrollments force school districts to try to quickly scale-down services with fewer on-hand resources to varying degrees of success, often precipitating financial strain (Warren & Lafortune, 2020). Previously, she served as a wildlife educator and substitute teacher across the valley. caaspp & elpac resources for parents California's statewide student assessment system for English language arts, mathematics, science, spanish literacy, and English language development. The winner of the Nov. 8 election will replace Board President Ana Conover. fewer formal impasses declared involving teachers union, Teacher midpoint salary is greater than or equal to similar districts statewide might not meet its financial obligations in two or fewer quarters over the last five 23 Elementary Schools. Studies have shown when students do not read at grade level in 3rd grade, it results in a higher propensity in failed outcomes for the students. Searching for Sands Human Resources info? 72%. School districts need to keep their effective teachers. Curriculum: I will work with teachers, experts, and other board members to continue to modernize our curriculum while making sure we are providing an equitable education. Desert Sands Unified School District. Maryalice Alberg Owings:The district is doing well in retaining and hiring qualified teachers, administrators and classified staff. 10 Niche users give it an average review of 4.2 stars. Students from other areas of the desert also take advantage of the quality education provided by our schools. Connect with Us: Share this page . Desert Sands Unified's work environment is Im blessed to have worked with a great team of educators to polish the gold standard that the district has always maintained. This becomes an opportunity for the district to improve its commitment to fiscal responsibility. Jonathan Horwitz covers education for The Desert Sun. The California Teachers Association exists to protect and promote the well-being of its members; to improve the conditions of teaching and learning; to advance the cause of free, universal, and quality public education for all students; to ensure that the human dignity and civil rights of all children, youth, and adults are protected; and to secure a more just, equitable, and democratic society. On Baileys last day in office, he and May-Vollmar sat down with The Desert Sun for a joint hourlong interview to discuss their greatest accomplishments and challenges at the district, their leadership styles and their vision for Desert Sands Unified. Desert Sands's Personnel Services. Phone Number (760) 777-4200. CALIFORNIA | 25,000+ STUDENTS | SAFETY MANAGEMENT FOR GOOGLE. Ed-Data is a partnership of the California Department of Education, EdSource, and the Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team/California School Information Services (FCMAT/CSIS) designed to offer educators, policy makers, the legislature, parents, and the public quick access to timely and comprehensive data about K-12 education in California. Beto Alvarez: I have always been involved in my childrens' schools. Our career technical education programs are very good. a translated Budget Overview for Parents. Palm Desert, California, United States Work Adjunct Faculty Brandman University - Supervision Special Education @ Brandman University - Chapman University System This resource explains the Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF). There is still work to be done. This area includes most of Indio north of Indio Boulevardand Interstate 10. to communicate directly while encouraging discussions of human sexuality, sexual attraction, and sexual fetishes. Blog. Phone 707-399-5000 Click here for Contacts and Departments. Alvord Unified School District. Another school board member, Wendy Jonathan, resigned in August. Districts with Partial Foundations to Improve Education have Strong Foundations in 3 or fewer domains and may have Few Foundations in one or fewer domains. Your search returned job postings for a total of job vacancies. In what areas do you think the district is doing well and where would you like to see improvement? . We pride ourselves on our strong family and community relationships developed with over 50 years of service. Dr. Bailey, youve said youre retiring to spend more time with family. Additionally, I am glad to see CTE programs coming back. When school boards adopt clear policies guiding their end-of-year evaluation of superintendents, they are in a better position to more objectively evaluate their leaderships progress towards their shared educational mission. So, the idea is really creating inspiration and the best opportunities for our students, but then also rolling up my sleeves and getting down in the trenches and doing the work. The California Collaborative for Educational Excellence (CCEE) was established by the California State Legislature and Governor to advise and assist school districts, county offices of education, and charter schools (local educational agencies [LEAs] achieve the goals and objectives in their Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAPs). Research Desert Animals; Six Trait Writing: Past, Present and Future; . So, yes, the future has arrived for Desert Sands, but the transition to May-Vollmars leadership also marks the districts commitment to continue down the path its on: Sticking with an internal hire to carry out its longterm vision to be the district of choice to successfully prepare every student for college, career and life.. We also formalized regular ASB interactions with the superintendent and superintendents cabinet. Providing translated documents about educational practices and decisions like the Budget Overview for Parents meets basic statutory mandates for California education (Education Code Section 48985) and creates valuable opportunities to engage often marginalized families (Mapp & Kuttner, 2014). Many parents I work with are pleased with the quality of education their children are receiving, but some children are still struggling with learning loss. educational outcomes. I might add that we got through successfully, all things considered. Self-rated Desert Sands USD implemented a new 1:1 digital device initiative to encourage their 29,000+ students to extend their learning outside of the classroom. May-Vollmar: Weve already talked about continuing the districts focus on innovative practices, and thats certainly one of the priorities. Learn about our methodology. Featured Review: Senior says Horizon is a great school for those who are willing to learn but need to learn at their own pace.The alternative education style makes it easier to connect with teachers and truly understand the.. https://caljustice.org/issues/student-engagement/, https://caljustice.org/issues/school-funding/, https://caljustice.org/resource/student-voice-continuum-how-to-build-student-power/, https://edpolicyinca.org/topics/education-finance, https://www.ed-data.org/article/New-on-Ed--Data#finance, https://learningpolicyinstitute.org/school-funding-resources, https://edpolicyinca.org/topics/educational-governance-policy, https://ccee-ca.org/center-for-teaching-learning-leading/, https://ccee-ca.org/center-for-innovation-instruction-impact/, https://www.nctq.org/policy-area/Retention-and-Tenure, https://www.nctq.org/yearbook/national/Principal-Evaluation-and-Observation-95, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RqUaih3XDhRvgbsJneqSwAmadQaKfYtl/view, https://www.cta.org/for-educators/meet-cta/esp, https://www.cta.org/for-educators/your-rights, Posts a May-Vollmar: Absolutely. As a government employee, I realize the impact that community support can have on creating a good education foundation. Our website, in addition to up-to-date information, includes archived documents that may contain information that is no longer accurate. More:Desert Sands school board trustee Jacob Alvarez ousted, More:Group begins recall election effort against Desert Sands Unified school board trustees, More:Masks, ethnic studies debated at contentious Desert Sands school board meeting. Language Access Complaint. All communications should be delivered by all communication methods available to the district. -based screening capabilities. Theres an overwhelming sense of its best for students, we will rise to the occasion and we will make it happen. This November marks an unusual election for the Desert Sands Unified School District Board of Education. 47-950 Dune Palms Rd. As first Marketing hire at Hawaiian Telcom, led development of . Accounting Assistant. Desert Sands Unified School District La Quinta, CA 1 week ago Be among the first 25 applicants See who Desert Sands Unified School District has hired for this role . The district soon realized the need for more human eyes on its students safety on a 24/7/365 basis, as they were relying on just three teachers to handle student situations. Desert Sands Unified. Grades K-12 & Ungraded. Plus what we've uncovered about policies from Palm Springs Unified Desert Sands Unified school districts. Betty Callaway: The school board announced that DSUSD has a 94% graduation rate and that is commendable! And,shes been at Desert Sands since 2004 as a teacher, academic coach, International Baccalaureate coordinator and elementary school principal. So, lots of transparency, lots of great communication, really being out there talking with people and listening to people. Riverside. Desert Sands Unified School District is committed to the students and the families of . Because as we venture out to make sure that every students ready for college and career and life, weve got to make sure theyve got a great foundation for us to build on in middle school and high school. Spends a it's time we address physical fitness as a way that can enhance a students whole learning experience. Leveraging Technology To Help Students Learn The Skills That Make Them Uniquely Human Research and experience show that a key barrier to greater engagement with families and communities is untranslated and difficult to understand language (Marsh 2007; Marsh et al. Our teachers and staff are the best in the Coachella Valley. Bailey: Yes and no. 28,610 Students. That will continue to serve us in a great way. Second, fiscal accountability when public funds are used. Located . May-Vollmar: And, I feel very excited about the future, but at the same time, I was just saying to Scott, Are you sure you want to go? Because its been really wonderful having him as the superintendent and being able to work together under his leadership. District: Desert Sands Unified (School Profiles) County: Riverside: Address: 47-950 Dune Palms Rd. Dr. Derek Jindra Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources. Phone Number (760) 777-4200. Research and experience show that an important first step in including students in a school districts reform process is to give students the right to speak for themselves about their educational experiences, and the opportunity to be heard by those in places of power (Feuer & Mayer, 2009). School Address 47-950 Dune Palms Road, La Quinta, CA 92253. Email. And, a third school board member, Ana Conover, cannot defend her seat after redistricting made her ineligible to run again in the same district. 19%. So, well be launching a campaign in the fall to reconnect with people. Maryalice Alberg Owings: I wanted to run for the school board because I just retired as a principal with 35 years of working in public education, and I can offer background knowledge and ask questions to help ensure we are providing the best services we can for all of our students. 1514. . To learn more about this indicators importance and how researchers collected this information, please visit the Methodology page [URL link to specific area in Methodology]. Scott Baily, not to be confused with recently retired Desert Sands superintendent Scott Bailey, has been a teacher for 25 years. Url: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/investigations/open-investigations/dis2.html Go Now, Schools Details: Webin Desert Sands Unified School District District Elementary Schools #1840. in California Elementary Schools; Grade Level K-5 Grade Level. sustain change initiatives. All children should have access to a good education. Please click a job title below for detailed information about a specific posting. 2023 www.desertsun.com. Reported 2023 www.desertsun.com. So, as much as Im excited, Im torn and sad at the same time. Enrollment 620 Enrollment. I acknowledge not every student can or should be instructed in the same manner; various and varied educational resources are a must. K-12,. Bei der Nutzung unserer Websites und Apps verwenden wir, unsere Websites und Apps fr Sie bereitzustellen, Nutzer zu authentifizieren, Sicherheitsmanahmen anzuwenden und Spam und Missbrauch zu verhindern, und, Ihre Nutzung unserer Websites und Apps zu messen, personalisierte Werbung und Inhalte auf der Grundlage von Interessenprofilen anzuzeigen, die Effektivitt von personalisierten Anzeigen und Inhalten zu messen, sowie, unsere Produkte und Dienstleistungen zu entwickeln und zu verbessern. Districts with Few Foundations in a domain earned fewer than 50% of Indicator points possible. Combined with real human monitoring, the solution helps the district make quickand sometimes lifesavingdecisions. Desert Sands Unified's school personnel is 1 other named Chelsea Simo is on LinkedIn . Follow . Michael Duran:We have great AVID (a college prep program), and we have great school climates. We just had this huge list (of tasks), and this office became like a war room. My grandpa always said, Leave things better than you found them. Even though we went through a pandemic, I look back at our accomplishments and I feel proud.