WFUN's oldies format was dropped in February 2001 for a standard news/talk format (Rush Limbaugh's show was the only one retained, as WFUN aired it since the early 90s), adding Dr. Laura, Jim Rome, Coast to Coast AM and Fox Sports Radio. By far Miami and South Florida's preeminent radio station at the time, baby boomers from Jupiter to Key West, and down to Havana, listened to WQAM for the latest in local and American pop music from the 1960s well into the late 1970s. Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood was talking to Drew Garabo of 102.5 The Bone, when he got caught up in a high-speed chase on I-95. WAXY (790 kHz) is an AM radio station licensed to South Miami, Florida, with a Spanish language conservative talk format. Carbon on Estamino was late to mature. Verified account Protected Tweets @; Suggested users --X1. Station 101.5 LITE FM Miami, FL. At that point, you could tune in about 10:45 and always hear Boys. (Shaw answers the ballot-stuffing question in our 1989 interview. The Beatles were . He sometimes went by just "The Cos". 2022. Their party was in turn spoiled by WHYI-FM ("answer your phone by saying 'I listen to the new sound of Y-100 and win!'"). I was on the original airstaff of The Mighty Bus when they first signed on the air. I remember long lines. Radio Brillance. The studios were with WMBM, but the transmitter was on the tower at the Deauville Hotel at 6701 Collins Ave. She Loves You took over No. I'm sure they'd love to hear from you on there. Recent Post by Page. While on 800, it was licensed to Miami Beach and was the first station in the area to hold the WMBM callsign, which is now on 1490kHz. However, MundoFox's affiliation with WJAN/WFUN would end on December 28, 2012, as the network moved its Miami affiliation to Key West-based WGEN-TV (channel 8). WFUN becomes WFIX (WFUN's call-letters go to Miami FL "FUN in the sun") WJOF-FM signs on in Athens 104.3. [5] In the immediate wake of Hurricane Andrew, which collapsed the Homestead tower, W27AQ remained on the air as WCIX's only broadcast signal. But unfortunately, I didnt reconnect with him in time to interview him for the three-hour special. Made sense I suppose, as it would be like you were routing for their rival WFUN. Now, all tract housing. Better still, WFUN's catchphrase 'Fun Radio' and 'The Fun . Both were pressed on vinyl (not styrene), and the labels match pretty closely (though the original is a very slightly different shade of orange). Id also tune in to WMBM, Miamis R&B station, for James Brown and Ike Turner and the most insane DJ-read commercials Id ever heard. He was 78. Here's a weird memory from around 1963. Ready to record a phoner on my cheapo portable cassette recorder with suction cup that sticks on the receiver (ancient technology, but it worked), I called the station, stated by business, and the receptionist put me right through tohim. WHBS-AM is sold and becomes WAAY-AM and goes Rock and Roll . Harvest Delicious Red Tomatoes with Red Rocket in Hot Climates South of Memphis, Tomatoes are a popular and versatile crop that can be grown in many climates, but it is important to choose the right variety for your climate. I really did grow up with these people. Instead, it was leased[4] to new CBS affiliate WCIX to serve areas of Broward County that its Homestead-based analog signal could not. It is the flagship station of locally based Sunbeam Television. This article is about AM radio station WFUN in Ashtabula, Ohio. This station was once WFUN, a legendary Top 40 station that competed with WQAM. 48.2 America TeVe. When underground radio was in it's infancy in Miami most of the stations on the FM frequency were throw-away formats. My date had planned to take me to a movie downtown, but when I saw the excitement outside where Elvis was to appear, I pleaded with him to change plans..went right up to the ticket window, bought two tickets and found good seating halfway in the middle section. So he kept Spirit in town for six more sold-out shows through the next weekend. It is one of five stations in Media One Radio Group's Ashtabula cluster, the others being WFXJ-FM, WQGR (FM) WREO-FM, WYBL (FM), and WZOO-FM. Find top stations in Miami, FL (40) United States. Somehow, some way in these stories, these relationships have evolved, because my thing here in South Florida its so unusual, he said. North Miami, I said, in town from L.A. visiting old friends.. . It was great to see what Bob Meyer, Pete Berlin and Bob have been doing. Thanks, Don Adams. Miami, FL It was on the roof of the Holiday Inn on Lauderdale Beach, big room, and it has a glass window overlooking the beach, he said. I remeber tuning into to WEDR (I believe predated the Bus as being Miami's first underground FM station back in the day) when they had one of their "hippie" newsman at the 72' Miami Beach Convention. Fast-forwarding to 1989, I was in my seventh year as a staff writer/producer for the Westwood One Radio Network, and the second year producing The Lost Lennon Tapes series, syndicated worldwide. March 1, 2023 / 3:17 PM / CBS News. Later We were joined by Mick Dean, Sandy Thompson, Boston Bob Perry and others I can't quite remember. The format of WFUN in Miami was used in part by Ron O'Quinn as the foundation for the hybrid mix of sounds that were heard over the 50,000 watts offshore pirate radio station Swinging Radio England between May and November 1966. Tiger Radios air talent also included local legends like Charlie Murdock (afternoon guy after school), Jim Dunlap (daytimes and program director during much of the 60s heyday) and a couple years later Roby Yonge (aka The Big Kahuna, who went on to even greater fame in New York City). Above the Olga Patricia sailing to her mooring off the Frinton Essex coast now shown registered at Lloyds to Peir-Vick Ltd a local dummy company formed by William Vick in London I'm sure I won $5.60 when I lucked out and got through despite the delay that Hialeah callers endured when calling from certain telephone exchanges. They had a disc jockey named the "Butterball" and they played great music in the 50's and probably into the 60's. I believe it was sung by Paul Peterson (Donna Reed Show?). Does anyone have any more info on that disc jockey or radio show? 105.9 FM is now WBGG-FM and owned by iHeartMedia with a Classic Rock format. I said "Gimme" and ended up with the second highest prize, $25.60. I loved that station so much. , Miami - Boca Raton Stephen Harlow Haas: WSDO, Miami - Ft. Lauderdale Beverly Fox Stephen Harlow Haas The RST series, Estamino, and Fortamino are all good choices for shorter growing seasons. Due to the changes, The Dan Le Batard Show discontinued the local-only hour it had historically produced (although it was allowed to air its local hour on WAXY one last time on August 5 as a "farewell"). I won this Radio back in the 60's WFUN 790 Miami Florida. Originally, the station was located at 800 on the AM dial, and was a daytime-only operation. Santa Clarita journalistStephen K. Peepleswas the original, award-winning producer of The Lost Lennon Tapes radio series for Westwood One from 1988-1990. On weekends, "Teveo" carries a "week-in-review" selection of its news programs. Interference from Cuba and temporary power increase, "HEAT signs Radio Contract with 790 The Ticket - Miami Heat", "Lincoln Financial Media Acquires 104.3 WMSF; Begins Simulcasting 790 WAXY", "Entercom Acquires Lincoln Financial Media", "Entercom Brings Alternative 104.3 The Shark To Miami", "Entercom Makes Major Lineup Changes To WQAM & WAXY Miami; Rebranding 560 As The Joe", "Audacy Shuffles Miami Sports Programming As Local Emphasis Shifts To WQAM", http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=34208, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=WAXY_(AM)&oldid=1114698201, This page was last edited on 7 October 2022, at 20:37. WGBS-LD, a low-power television station (channel 11) licensed to serve Hampton, Virginia, United States; WAQI, a radio station (710 AM) licensed to serve Miami, Florida, United States, which used the call sign WGBS until October 1985; WINS (AM), a radio station (1010 AM) licensed to serve New York, New York, United States, which formerly used the call sign WGBS At one point, the station was branded as "ESPN Radio 790", but then stopped carrying ESPN Radio programs in favor of Fox Sports Radio, then carried the Sporting News Radio shows of Todd Wright and David Stein, and is now affiliated with ESPN Radio again, since WQAM took the Sporting News Radio affiliation. WFUN recently had a reunion. 2,943. Station AM 560 Sports WQAM Miami, FL. February 17, 2023. Log In. Shaw booked Spirit for a weekend at The World, brought them to town, and they sold out all four shows. Newspapers.com makes these newspapers available for the purpose of historical research, and is not responsible for the content of any newspapers archived at our site. Perhaps with you commenting here it will attract some of your old buddies and maybe they'll leave some comments also. The once-proud Top 40 rocker would take the easy listening route, before re-e. Alan Margolis hired me, because I had all the records they would be playing. The late night shows were unbelievable. and still filmed local programming with only one camera. Towers in the Sand is the only comprehensive history of Florida's broadcasting industry, 1922-2016, the people who brought the stations to life, and the events that saw the state grow from boom to bust and back again to now the nation's third most populous. Stream online for free, only on iHeart! Share. Then come to the station and you can win a prize. It was that contest where you kept an orange styrofoam ball on the end of your radio antenna and the radio's car would spot you, stop you and give you prizes. Radio KCT. Dick Clark's in-studio guests are Tina Turner, April Stevens and Nino Tempo, and actor Dick Peabody. Miami, FL Stations. And I was, Shaw said. MYQ's afternoon DJ, Robert L Collins, would 'burrp' during the half-second silence after the classical intro of ELO's "Roll Over Beethoven" and close each show with "Sergeant Pepper." About halfway through the evening, a guy walks over and says, Ive got to tell you something You are the honorary godfather of my daughter., And I said, Im honored, but why? "Top 40" was the preeminent American radio format of the 1950s and 1960s. Performance & security by Cloudflare. 1 talking about this. Both shows were precursors of the location-based video programs on MTV in the 80s and 90s. I'll sent you an e-mail with the information today before I forget. Top-rated syndicated Radio Personality. The callsign was formerly used on FM at 105.9, until Jefferson-Pilot acquired the callsign. Welcome Johnny, I'm glad you found the website and I thank you for posting. WE WERE SO POOR THAT IN THE STUDIO I HAD TO PUT A PHONE BOOK UNDER THE CHAIR WITH A MISSING WHEEL TO BROADCAST. The counterfeit has the letters and numbers a little farther apart. It changed back to music and became WMRZ ("790 Memories") on October 27, 1990, running "AM Only", a Satellite-based Adult Standards format from the Unistar radio network (now America's Best Music from Dial Global).[4]. I was 7, going on 8 in that October. Democrats fear a new owner will use it to broadcast more right-wing disinformation. The most popular radio stations are on top of the list, and you can find something special for yourself by searching by genre or country. Sections of this page. Later I recorded him, after testing, saying this is "WQAM, Miami, signing off". Please help update this article to reflect recent events or newly available information. On Air 1961 - 1976 WFUN's format was copied by "Swinging Radio England" in 1966. For You; . Forgot account? [12] On August 2, 2019, Entercom announced that WAXY would introduce a new lineup on August 5, assuming WQAM's CBS Sports Radio affiliation and most of its local hosts, and moving ESPN Radio, including The Dan Le Batard Show and the network's overnight and weekend programming, to WQAM (which concurrently rebranded as The Joe). Hip-Hop Made: CeeLo Green looks back on The Fat Boys and his Hip-Hop beginnings 'I've been livin' ever since, look at me baby, representin'. Jerry Wichner, WINZ: There is some interesting information in this site's Guestbook on August 10, 2011, from Mr. Alan Jeffory who worked as an announcer at WINZ after World War II. That same year he appeared at The Polk Theatre in downtown Lakeland, FL which is a mini-version of the grand Olympia in Miami! Radio. Florida. Tune your home or car radio to 107.3 FM or 96.3 HD2. ltima reproduccin: Christian Miami, FL, United States. WFUN could refer to: WFUN (AM), a radio station (970 AM) licensed to serve Ashtabula, Ohio, . Shaw had a bunch of high school kids, mostly hot girls, from all over Dade (Miami) and Broward (Ft. Lauderdale) counties, interning with him at WQAM. ! he said. He is now VP/New Media Emeritus for Rare Cool Stuff Unltd. In the early 1960s, the station migrated down to 790, and went full-time as WFUN. When underground radio was in it's infancy in Miami most of the stations on the FM frequency were throw-away formats. South Florida Radio. Back then, there were open fields. See more of WFUN Tribute Page on Facebook. Create new account. The biggest difference is in the dead wax etchings, between the grooves and the label. Station POWER96 Miami, FL. He did work at the studio and he took me with him a few times. Nov 22, 2005 #1. WICA-TV signed off for good on December 26, 1967, with its license returned to the FCC. Shaws show-opening jingle ended with the singers chirping, in ascending tones: WonderfulW-Q-A-M! And as that rang out he would yell SWINGS! from inside his echo chamber, then launch into introducing the evenings first record. Yesterday at 9:11 AM. WMBM, WFUN: Switcheroo On Radio In Miami They look at me like an uncle or a brother or something, because I was there, Shaw said. Don Murray, In reference to your statement about WQAM never playing the B.B. WFUN's night DJ Jefferson Stone had his "how does a sweathog" jokes and anti-Donny-Osmond routines. Anyone who grew up in South Florida in the 60's remembers that song. In this conversation. In the fifties, Jerry Wichner of WINZ would play Rock-and-Roll on his program and also travel around town broadcasting at venues for dance contests. Shaw was the top-rated radio celebrity in South Florida in the 1960s, and among other accomplishments, was the first disc jockey to spin The Beatles' "I Want to Hold Your Hand" in Miami in early 1964, on top-rated Top 40 station WQAM, "Tiger Radio" at 560 AM on your . From the Vintage South Florida Radio Yahoo Group: I don't see any mention of Bobby Gorden DJ for a couple of stations early 70's. HD2 Party 93.1-HD2. I was there when Kennedy got shot, I was there during three hurricanes. 2395 NW 38th St. 93.1. Heis also aGrammy-nominated record producer (Monterey International Pop Festival box, Rhino/MIPF, 1992). The Miami Herald reported that the company intended to move the sports format to FM full-time (with 790 breaking away for a new format) after it completed the re-location of its city of license to within the Miami market. 77 WABC Radio: WBAP News Talk 820 AM: Family Life Network - WCIK . Movie Star. (Less than six months later, after moving to L.A., I was in Spirits backyard in Topanga Canyon, listening to them rehearse in a house tucked into the hills. Although several radio station group owners offered their own versions of the format, the AM stations owned by Todd Storz and his father were acknowledged as the principal developers of Top 40 radio, and the prime movers in making it a nationwide ratings and revenue success. Listen online to Miami FL radio stations including WMCU, 202.FM - My Country, Radio Brillance, Shake The Radio, RADIO LEPHARE and many more. It moved to UHF channel 48 and its call letters were changed to W48CI. Sign of the times, and thanks once again for the memories. Three that I remember were: HOW COULD I FORGET THE MAGIC BUS. We all saw him as the cool older brother we wished we had. Thanks, Bonnie, for the Elvis appearance at the Olympia memory. I worked at a bank nearby and some employees heard me on the air. We can also discuss the other Top 40 AM stations in South Florida (from WCKR to WAME to WGBS to. Rick signed off his final show with it on May 11, 2007, and it was played at his retirement party that night at Gulfstream Park. That was just after our journalist parents moved us all to Miami from the small town of Neenah, Wisconsin, where our mom grew up (thats another movie). I left there after a few years to work for WVCG in the Gables at a show that was supposed to be African American, but the DJ was white, although he did sound black. The station runs Teveo programming. About WBUS, 93.9 FM. Wild Honey to Salute Big Star #1 Record 50th Year in Joni Mitchell Archives, Rhino Box The Asylum Albums (1972-1975), Bergstrom Gathers Family Memories, SCV Musical Friends in Grandpas Yard. The next amount stated by Max was what you won. We shared some good times, we shared some bad times, but we shared an awful lot of time, no matter how you slice it. TEMP - DELETE when you figure it out right, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vintage_SoFla_Radio/, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhacQCYTi9U, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xo-PO5FUkE&feature=share, http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2012/02/onetime-disc-jockey-bob-green-anita-bryants-husband-during-1977-gay-rights-battle-dies-at-80.html#storylink=misearch, http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/86141/former-wlw-gm-owner-charlie-murdock-dies, http://news.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20110118/NEWS0104/101190355/, http://appleson.com/WFUN%20Reunion%20Main.htm, http://appleson.com/WWOK%20Reunion%20Main.htm, HI..I USED TO BE THE DJ ON WTTT IN CORAL GABLES FLORIDA BACK IN THE 50S..I WENT UNDER THE NAME OF SY THE GUY..AND DID A R AND B SHOW. The quality is not so great but they're still cool to listen to. Partly inspired by Dick Clarks American Bandstand and The Beatles A Hard Days Night, the show featured the cutest local teen cheerleaders, bikini babes and mini-skirted Mod birds like Linda Benson, filmed on location at beaches, pools, schools and more, lip-syncing, go-go dancing and gyrating to current hit records and behind occasional guest performers. [17] The temporary authority allows an increased power level of 25,000 watts both day and night. Source. WFUN RADIO MIAMI | FUN 79 | WFUN MIAMI FLORIDA - TRIBUTE WEBSITE, wfun, wfun79, wfun miami, wfun radio, miami radio, south florida . For over 20 years. [6], During the 201011 season, WAXY took over as the Miami Heat's flagship station due to a dispute with previous station WINZ. Shaw was still on the air spinning oldies and serving as PD at WAXY in Ft. Lauderdale, about 25 miles north of Miami Beach, up U.S. 1 or A1A or Interstate 95. Install the free Online Radio Box application for your smartphone and listen to your favorite radio stations online - wherever you are! Hooked on rock n roll the first time I saw Jerry Lee Lewis on American Bandstand in 1958, Id tuned in to rock n roll on the radio in summer 1959. The majority of WQAM's jingles were produced by PAMS of Dallas. It was a contest run by WQAM. >> TEMP - DELETE when you figure it out right >> Memories of MUSIC, Radio Stations, Musical Groups and Links to Oldies Videos Photo Gallery - click on image to view > 1964 - Miami News article about WQAM and WFUN plane trips to Jacksonville for the Beatles . There was also another hot stop at the Colseium bowling alley and I think it was off of 27th avenue. Newsradio 970 WFLA; Stand with Ukraine. This year, I am considering a few varieties for graft, Organic Fertilizers: A Natural Alternative for Feeding your Garden | Texas Tomato Food, GreenLeaf Nutrients & More, Fertilizers have become increasingly expensive in recent years, leading many gardeners to look for alternatives. For exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews, subscribe to hisYouTube channel. There are several good PAMS and TM jingles, too. Ron O'Quinn who had worked on Miami's WFUN had dubs of that station's entire jingle library. Were you aware of that?, Not as much then as I am now, he said. [citation needed][7], On August 29, 2012, the station began an FM simulcast on 104.3 WMSF as WAXY-FM, after the station was acquired by WAXY's parent company Lincoln Financial Media. 1959WAHR-FM starts on 99.1 FM (classical and jazz) Arnold Hornbuckle Radio WHOS-FM starts on 102.1 FM the station is a variety of formats over the years ,later Prior to that the transmitter site was on SW 127th Ave. just north of Kendall Dr. Looks like there's a park there now. Radio Miami Color. I remember meeting Charlie at numerous WQAM events in the 1960's and he was always nice to his young fans. I did production for a show called Requestfuly Yours. In 1948 I was hired by a little AM station located on SW 2nd at the river, called WWPB. Both are hand-etched, but the original has no spaces between the WQ and 1096. This is the TV report by Bob Mayer of WTVJ, channel four in Miami, on WFUN's demise. Clear Channel Communications sold their Ashtabula cluster, including WFUN, in September 2007 to Media One Radio Group (headed by Embrescia and dubbed "Sweet Home Ashtabula" as a placeholder). Paid programming is shown at other times of the day. Rickey Smiley is one of the most beloved performers in American media, earning a reputation for delivering boundless laughter on-air, on-stage, and on-screen. He invited us into his office, where we sat down and flashed back to late 1963 and early 1964 for about half an hour. Jump to. In early 1999, its calls were changed to WFUN-LP; the station license was later upgraded to Class A status and its calls were altered to WFUN-CA in 2002, before reverting to LPTV status in 2004. Facebook. Redirecting to http://www.adamsheirlooms.com/cnrm/wfun-radio-miami-florida Theyd answer phones for the nightly Top 10 survey and screen callers with special requests from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Tina Turner sings "Good Bye, So Long." Nino Tempo and April Stevens sing "Swing Me." Dick Clark interviews actor Dick Peabody of the TV series "Combat!" Dick Clark talks by phone with Doc Downey, a DJ at WFUN radio, Miami Beach, FL. I went into Lee's Dinette shop on S.W. You can see some of your favorite DJs from your past here: Great pic of Roby Yonge , ex- ocala boy . WQAM vs. WFUN: If ever there was any doubt as to whether the rivalry between radio stations WQAM and WFUN . Top 100 Stations. He drove a colorful Volkwagen Bug with fake rockets mounted on each side. Sometime in late 1967 or early 68, Shaw introduced a segment of his radio show called Ug, short for underground, where he eased up on the Top 40 frenzy and played the heavier, psychedelic stuff Top 40 radio wouldnt play. WFUN Miami (Tribute Web Radio) - US - Listen to free internet radio, news, sports, music, and podcasts. Take a boat ride through Biscayne National Park . Rick Shaw kept rockin the oldies at WAXY and then Majic-FM until he retired in 2007, and his last broadcast was videotaped. I went to Broadcasting school in '68' at Elkins Institute in Miami. During evening, the sound quality of WFUN would go down maybe they went to low power? Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday nights, The World was the place to be for high school kids to see the hottest local bands, like The Kollection, and visiting acts. This was about the time it became Love 94. . ORLANDO, FLA. (WSVN) - A Florida sheriff abruptly put a live radio interview on hold when nearby troopers were in hot pursuit of a suspected car thief. The DJ was Charlie Murdock. St Louis MO WFUN-FM 96.3. 105.9 FM is now . Rick Shaw segued to Top 40 WQAM in 1963, by which time Ruthie and I both had our own palm-sized Japanese transistor radios surgically implanted. Listen to all radio stations from Miami via internet radio for free. I had no idea what was going on out there every night when I pushed the button and started Goodnight My Love.. or. I remember the record 'Little Black Egg'!a big hit in Miami. She's piano player for our Kiwanis Club each Friday Hell of a lady..JimP. The station is owned by Audacy, Inc. Its studios are located in Audacy's Miami office on Northwest Second Avenue, and its transmitter is in Everglades National Park. In 2009, WFUN flash-cut its digital signal into operation on UHF channel 48. On August 13, 2012, WFUN-LD acquired the Amrica TeV programming and format from WJAN-CD (channel 41) after the latter station became a charter affiliate of MundoFox; most of the Amrica CV-owned stations that joined MundoFox on that date added the Amrica TeV format on their second digital subchannels, with the exception of Puerto Rico-based WKPV and WIRS, which broadcast TeV on their main channels. WGBS may refer to: . That's why WTMI finally sold out. I have a picture of him from an old 1971 Magic Bus newspaper that I'll need to scan. By the mid-60s he was also on local TV, hosting The Rick Shaw Show weekday mornings and Saturday Hop weekends on Miamis WLBW Channel 10. Whats the name of it? What a memory back in the day. Russ later showed up as a deejay with WQAM in the mid eighties. The Monkees emerged victorious in the 16-day competition with a total of 65,153 votes, compared to The Beatles . Worked with Roby, Sonny Hirsch, Larry King, Sid Knight.I moved to NC in 1973 but still think fondly of those days.Needless to say, hanging around those guys, I grew up quickly. The on air personality was Jack McCormack. Father of 6. A couple years before that, as a WW1 writer/producer, Id written Shaw a professional fan letter on company stationery, thanking him for the inspiration. 178.32.73.1 He pretty well fit the mold of an FM deejay at that time. Well, I saved it!. A couple of years of that and we were bought as a package to bring the show to Atlantic City. Also "worked" for him at WGMA n Hollywood some years later. Ultimately many listeners moved to FM for music, and in 1976, WFUN was sold and became News/Talk WNWS and later middle-of-the-road station WMRZ, followed by WAXY which was brokered talk. Tina Turner sings "Good Bye, So Long." Nino Tempo and April Stevens sing "Swing Me." Dick Clark interviews actor Dick Peabody of the TV series "Combat!" Dick Clark talks by phone with Doc Downey, a DJ at WFUN radio, Miami Beach, FL. Eventually killed by the proliferation of FM, WFUN officially went off the air on January 6th, 1976. Use the search to find your favorite internet radio or just choose something new that appeals to you. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a2ae3acfb5e99ee It is set to be branded as "Radio Libre 790" and carry programming from Americano Media.[16]. I posted the comment about Maximillian the Mechanical Money Monster. They would announce the contest, you'd call in and if you were the first caller you'd play. Bob Green, former WINZ disc jockey and husband/manager of singer Anita Bryant, passed away on January 26, 2012. Everybodys like, What? A radio show featuring a call with a Florida sheriff took an unexpected turn this week when the on-air interview was interrupted by a hectic police chase . Until then, WAXY would not be able to carry certain sports properties on FM due to rights conflicts with WEFL. Neighborhoods. Category:News & Reviews In May 2000 the Rowleys sold the stations and WZOO-FM to Clear Channel Communications. Quite a sight to see. O.K., I remember Rick Shaw, but! HD3 Freedom FM. Who is that? Morning man Bruce Bartley later moved to Atlanta at WSB as the voice of the news and later Program Director of WCNN. I was living in the Bahamas at the time and I could hear him real good (clear) at night. That letter looks real familiar, I said. The comments are about Peter Marshall, host of Hollywood Squares for 16 years, singing on a daily 15-minute show at WINZ. Clipping found in The Miami News in Miami, Florida on Jan 23, 1961. They can depend on me, and God knows Ive been consistent.. I have tapes of my last show on WBUS, but have not digitized them. WBUS-FM was a business news station but took the plunge into progressive "free form" radio. I know Russ Samuel was a disc jockey on WQAM in the early to mid 80's. It was a sad day for Miami radio when WFUN changed format on January 6, 1976. WFUN 79 - Miami's legendary Top 40 Radio Station. Zach Duarte hosts the weeknight shows and host such as Greg Likens host on weekends. Norman Barrington, a former Radio Caroline DJ, presents an insight into the world of Radio Jingles with audio and pictorial illustrations from one on the largest of such archives in Europe . But best of all was picking up Cousin Brucie nights on WABC 770 Chime Time in New York City. I also have some of China Vallace. [1][2][3], Since 2012 WFUN has served as the ESPN Radio affiliate for Erie, Pennsylvania due to WRIE taking the CBS Sports Radio affiliation. He was a record company PR executive for Capitol Records (1977-1980), Elektra/Asylum Records (1980-1983) and Rhino Entertainment (1992-1998). No one thought FM would take off. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. I heard it every night before I went to sleep (strict home rules). WFUN's programming changed on November 3, 2007 over to a sports/talk format affiliated with ESPN Radio, dropping all political talk programming and electing to go for a smaller, male dominated, core audience.