January 2529, 2021 Lori Vallow's trial for the misdemeanor charges was scheduled to begin. Because, by golly, he has to be dancing in heaven. September 9, 2020. Charles was so spooked by Lori he went to the police. You do it to keep them from yelling or talking. "Chad Daybell was a gravedigger for a profession when he was younger. In 2016, the Vallow family moved back to Arizona. Gibb handed that secret recording to authorities, and investigators launched a nationwide search but not just for JJ. REXBURG Court documents released Friday evening detail the horrific manner in which Joshua "JJ" Vallow and Tylee Ryan were found in Chad Daybell's backyard. Lori, Alex and Tylee were questioned at the police headquarters. Several weeks after their initial meeting, Lori's husband left town on a business trip and Lori held an intimate overnight gathering at her home. [42] Lori was indicted in June 2021 for conspiracy to murder Charles. MELANIE GIBB: I appreciate those words, but if you really love me, you wouldn't have told the police that I had JJ with me. In late 2019, he married Zulema Pastenes in, Daybell has been known by a variety of different legal names. Since the children's remains were found, they are no longer considered missing and the investigation is now focused on determining the circumstances surrounding their deaths.[60][61][62]. This finding was officially confirmed by Rexburg police on June 13. Tylee Ryan’s cause of death. May 25, 2012 Joshua Jaxon "J.J." Vallow is born, the son of Charles Vallow's nephew. Cox was never charged in connection to Charles Vallow's death. She remains incarcerated in Kauai awaiting extradition to Idaho. November 4, 2019 Alex Cox and Melani Boudreaux arrive in Rexburg. LORI VALLOW: OK, sure. [55], On July 17, 2020, in light of the two felony counts against Lori having been dropped, her bond was lowered by Madison County judge Michelle Mallard. On the same day, Chad Daybell had a closed hearing. And that there was a demon living inside of him. When JJ was there, you knew he was there. And when she actually got to talk with him, it, yeah, just escalated from there. [50], On February 20, 2020, Lori was arrested by the Kauai Police Department in Princeville, Hawaii, and charged by prosecutors in Madison County, Idaho with two felony counts of desertion and nonsupport of dependent children. "48 Hours" and correspondent Jonathan Vigliotti detail the investigation into the heartbreaking national search for two missing children, the life of their mother Lori Vallow, and what is ahead in the case against Vallow and her new husband Chad Daybell, who have each been indicted on murder charges for the deaths of Tylee Ryan and JJ Vallow. But this time he was only there for 17 minutes. Margaret Travillion: And just that growth of watching him come out of himself was just wonderful. DAVID WARWICK: She said that he was being a zombie and climbed up on the cabinets, climbed up on top of the fridge, smashed her picture of Christ down, and then climbed up onto the upper cabinets and got between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling. Julia Allen: He was a spitfire, for sure. The big sister who used to watch over her little brother was no longer there to protect him. JJ was found dead in a duct-taped plastic bag while Tylee's body was burned, dismembered, and left in a pet cemetery on the property. It it was in every classroom, in every environment. Investigators contended that "'Joshua and Tylee's lives are in danger. Margaret Travillion | LIFE co-founder: Our administrator came into my office. April Raymond met Lori in 2015 in Hawaii. Morgan Loew: It appears that Chandler Police believe Lori had something to do with Charles's death. Margaret Travillion | LIFE co-founder: I just started crying [cries]. "[41] Police did not pursue the matter further. Morgan Loew: Chad had this belief that some people who were on this earth weren't really the people they were supposed to be. MELANIE GIBB: He was in the family room mostly, and then outside some. So, what makes her a danger to herself and to others? On January 31, 2019, Charles Vallow is seen on police bodycam video tell officers his wife had become "unhinged," and had threatened to murder him. And with Alex Cox went a whole incredible amount of potential information that investigators could've used on this case. Cox was born Alexander Lamar Cox and was known by the diminutive "Alex". LORI VALLOW: Wow, this is a big mess, I just talked to the guy on the phone. November 27, 2019 Rexburg police search for children, to no avail, with search warrants to the three apartments of Lori Vallow Daybell, Alex Cox (aka Alex Pastenes) and Melani Boudreaux. September 29, 2022 - For the second time, Lori Vallow-Daybell's trial has been suspended due to competency concerns. October 8, 2021 - Judge grants Chad Daybell's request for a change of venue. Lori's brother, Alex Cox, the man she considered her protector, moved into the same complex. July 2019 Days after Charles Vallow's death, Lori learns her late husband had changed the beneficiary of his million-dollar life insurance policy from Lori to his sister, Kay Woodcock, who is also J.J.'s paternal grandmother. Because of the second ruling of incompetence, the January 2023 trial date was canceled. The thought of Tylee ending up that way was almost too much for Echo Itaaehau to bear. Echo Itaaehau: I didn't. Chad Daybell was also charged with first-degree murder in the death of his former wife, Tammy Daybell. [16], In October 2019, two Venmo payments were made from Tylee's account to her older half-brother, Colby Ryan. The way they found that body leads you to believe that JJ was still alive Because you don't go through all that trouble to somebody who's already dead. CHARLES VALLOW [to Officer Dorenbush]: She's psychologically, she's gone. September 8, 2019 Tylee is last seen in Yellowstone National Park, along with Lori, Alex and J.J. September 23, 2019 J.J. is last seen at his new school, Kennedy Elementary in Rexburg, Idaho. Vallow had two sons from a previous marriage, Nicholas and Zachary Chase. Chad and Tammy Daybell's five children remain steadfast in their belief that their father had nothing to do with the death of their mother, or the murders of JJ Vallow and Tylee Ryan. April Raymond: I feel like whatever story we were given about how Charles was killed was not the truth. April Raymond: I feel like they were a liability. LORI VALLOW: He's with one of my friends in Arizona. No post-mortem or autopsy was initially performed. April 19, 2022 - Lori Vallow is arraigned. July 2014 Lori and Charles officially adopt Joshua Jaxon "J.J." Vallow. Due to this, there is a stay in her case in Idaho. March 3, 2022 - Prosecutors in Arizona announce that they will not file conspiracy to commit murder charges against Chad Daybell in the attempted shooting case of Brandon Boudreaux. On May 25, 2021, Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell were formally charged with murder in the first degree in the deaths Tylee and JJ. Colby and J.J.'s grandparents pleaded with the Daybells to return the children, with the latter offering a reward of $20,000. [12][13] On May 25, 2021, Lori and Chad were charged with the first degree murders of Tylee, J.J., and Tammy. The police arrived and shot video of Cox on the curb outside the home. As CrimeOnline previously reported, the son of Vallow's subsequent . Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (September 24, 2002 - c. September 9, 2019) [a] and Joshua Jaxon " J. J. LORI VALLOW: My husband switched his life insurance policy to her right? I was not OK with it because she told something to the police that was not true So, I was I had a really bad feeling in my stomach, and I felt very shooken [sic] up by it. ALEX COX [bodycam]: She came out to defend my sister with her bat. After months of silence, they started speaking JJ's name and couldn't stop. [53], On March 24, 2020, NBC News reported on documents showing that Chad and Lori became convinced that Tylee and J.J. were "possessed" and had become "zombies". Her 17-year-old daughter Tylee Ryan and 7-year-old son Joshua "JJ" Vallow have not been seen since September, and Vallow has refused to cooperate with the police investigation into her children's disappearance. Chad believed the "Dark" individuals were from this earth but were followers of Satan. JJ was wrapped in plastic and. February 4, 2021 Prosecutor Lindsey Blake takes over the Fremont County case involving Tamara Daybell's death. CHARLES VALLOW: She threatened me, murder me, kill me. I never even considered that they weren't. [56] On May 27, 2021, Lori was found incompetent and unfit to stand trial, and her case was stayed. April Raymond: Part of her mission on Earth was to eliminate the darkness, the demonic the evil. 2007 Alex Cox (Lori's brother) attacks Joseph Ryan with a taser and threatens his life; Cox sentenced to 90 days in jail and 5 years of probation. It was then that they realized his sister Tylee was also missing. What turned out to be the remains of Tylee Ryan. Some believe Chad Daybell was the driving force; others believe it was Lori. OFFICER DORENBUSH: She threatened to murder you? Tylee spent what's believed to be the last day of her life at Yellowstone National Park with Lori, JJ and Alex. Morgan Loew: He said, "I need to report a shooting. January 25, 2020 Local authorities locate Chad Daybell and Lori Vallow in. They wanted to start over. Investigators were able to piece together what happened after this photo was taken thanks to Alex Cox. Lori and Tylee and JJ are there, and so is Alex Cox. July 29, 2021 Prosecution drops charges for counts of conspiracy to destroy, alter, or conceal evidence against Chad Daybell and Lori Vallow. Jonathan Vigliotti: Why do you think the children were murdered? Judge Mallard decided to decrease bond to US$50,000 on each charge, totaling US$150,000, but noted that Chad would still need to post US$1 million in neighboring Fremont County to get out of jail. He was initially reported missing by relatives concerned about not only the childrenwhom they had not heard from in weeksbut also several other suspicious incidents. Yeah. Jonathan Vigliotti: What went on in your mind when, weeks after Tammy died, Chad and Lori get married? 2020 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. And she was like, "Margaret, you're not gonna believe this. RAY HERMOSILLO: Under the bucket was a partial human skull. Noah Rodriguez. Everyone wanted to know what happened to them. A new trial has not been scheduled. He's the sweetest soul I've ever met. Vaisia Itaaehau: I loved being around JJ and Tylee. However, in June 2020, the remains of the two children were found buried on the property of Chad Daybell, who has been charged with multiple counts related to their deaths. Joshua "JJ" Vallow, 7, and sister Tylee Ryan, 17, were reported missing by extended family members to police in November 2019. . The judge lowered her bail to $1 million. It scared the crap out of me. And the FBI tracked the messages of Lori and her husband so they could find the real culprit easily. The couple was raising two children Tylee, Lori's teenage daughter from a former marriage, and their adopted son JJ, the grandson of Charles's sister Kay Woodcock. ROB WOOD | Madison County/City of Rexburg Deputy Prosecuting Attorney: And what did you observe when they did that? Vallow was married to Joseph Ryan, Tylee's father, until 2004 when the couple divorced. It just seems very unlikely. ROB WOOD: What did she ask you to do with that, again? And on January 25, 2020, she was formally served an order to produce Tylee and JJ within five days. 0:57. ALEX COX [bodycam video]: and he hit me in the back of the head with the bat So, I went to my room and got my gun, 'cause I always carry it. She was silent as her lawyers put in a plea of not guilty for her. DET. [16] The couple's biological daughter, Tylee, was born in 2002. November 27, 2019 Chad and Lori are seen packing. The investigation is being led by the . Those who were "light" were "followers of Jesus Christ". April 11, 2022 - Judge Boyce declares that Lori Vallow is now competent to stand trial. In the fall of 2018, Lori and her friend Melanie Gibb attended a "Preparing a People" event, where Lori was introduced to Chad for the first time. And his grandmother Kay Woodcock was the threat. [c] Cox tasered Ryan and threatened to murder him. April Raymond JJ was very difficult to take care of So I really admired how patient she was with him and how much care she took of him. Melanie Gibb testified, "She asked me just to pick up my phone and take a picture of random kids to make it look like it was JJ.". Lori became famous when she was arrested for killing her children, 7-year-old Joshua "JJ" Vallow and 16-year-old Tylee Ryan. Morgan Loew: Somehow, in 17 minutes, there was a grave dug and filled in. By the time the remains of 7-year-old JJ Vallow and his 16-year-old sister Tylee Ryan were found buried in shallow graves on Chad Daybell 's property in June 2020, they had become two of the. MELANIE GIBB: He brought JJ into the house during the middle of the podcast. he never hesitated to resort to violence if he believed he was defending his sister. Echo Itaaehau [in tears]: I just can't bear the thought of Tylee being scared and JJ being scared or know or knowing what was happening and by who. Both Tylee Ryan and JJ Vallow were found dead in Chad Daybell's estate in Salem, Idaho, and their cause of death is still not confirmed. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. They started by removing a top layer of earth on a 4 foot-by-2 foot patch of grass that was shorter than the rest. Especially Tylee was a liability for what she knew. To his sister. [49] When police reached Gibb by phone, she told police that J.J. was not with her and had not been there for several months. Chad later stayed at the Vallow residence in Arizona. [16], Shortly after, the Fremont County prosecutor's office announced they would be handling the case going forward. Cox alleged that he went to confront Charles about abusing his sister, whereupon "Charles Vallow struck him in the head with the bat, so he went to get his gun. February 20, 2020 Lori Vallow is arrested in Kauai and charged with two felony counts of desertion and nonsupport of dependent children. Lori Vallow Daybell and her husband Chad Daybell were set to stand trial on April 3, 2023, over the murders of her children, JJ, 7, and Tylee, 17, but at a status hearing, Judge Boyce severed the . [52] At least two local bond companies were reportedly unwilling to work with her. Nancy Kramer is the executive story editor. September 24, 2019 Lori informs J.J.'s school that he will no longer be attending and will be homeschooled instead. He dropped dead six months before JJ and Tylee were found. An aerial view of Todd Daybell's backyard, where the remains of JJ Vallow and Tylee Ryan were found in June. Conspiracy to commit first-degree murder in relation to the death of her first husband, Charles Vallow; The judge denied her request. Tylee Ryan autopsy report Obituary Tylee Ryan autopsy report By Samuel Sasu May 4, 2022 On June 10, 2020, the Woodcock and Ryan families confirmed that the human remains discovered on Chad's property were those of Tylee and J.J. A month later, Lori told them she got a new job in California, and sent an email saying she was taking JJ out of school. Kind of a heaviness on the campus. He's perfectly fine. They saw him several times during their stay. Tylee was last seen September 8, 2019, at Yellowstone National Park with her brother J.J., her mother Lori, and her uncle Alex Cox,[c] Lori's brother. 911 DISPATCHER: And is he hurt? August 10, 2019 The last time grandparents Larry and Kay Woodcock reportedly speak with J.J. August 30, 2019 Lori returns J.J.'s service dog, citing "a change in life circumstances". Autopsy performed on Idaho remains positively identifies JJ and Tylee | KUTV SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) - The autopsy performed by the medical examiner's office on the bodies found on the property. Another hearing set for September 8, 2021. Police in Hawaii searched Lori's rental car looking for evidence of the kids. Beneath the rocks, they found thin pieces of wood paneling. Somebody else must have helped with that. And I'll always remember them like that. [28] She and Lagioia had a son, Colby, in 1996 (who was later arrested on two counts of sexual assault in Arizona in 2022, charges that were later dropped without prejudice),[29][30] before divorcing on February 25, 1998.[16]. Cox says he came back and shot Charles Vallow dead. The evidence of course will speak for itself. It was a fresh start all right, but not in California. Morgan Loew: We know that in the spring of 2019, Lori started referring to Tylee as a zombie, to at least one of her close friends. Lori's estranged 4th husband, Charles Vallow, was shot and killed in July 2019 by Lori's brother, Alexander Cox, who claimed self-defense; Cox died of a blood clot on December 12, 2019. He's not moving. ", "Lori Daybell remains in jail on and may have problems posting $1 million bail", "Lori Vallow saw her now-missing kids Joshua and Tylee as 'zombies', court docs claim", "Bail lowered for Lori Daybell's misdemeanor charges, jury trial scheduled", "Chad and Lori Daybell indicted for murders of JJ Vallow, Tylee Ryan and Tammy Daybell", "Lori Vallow Daybell ruled unfit to stand trial on charges related to deaths of missing children", "Lori Vallow Daybell and Chad Daybell will be tried together in January, judge rules", "Lori Vallow is Once Again Competent to Stand Trial in Children's Murder, Judge Rules", "Human remains confirmed to be missing Idaho kids Joshua Vallow and Tylee Ryan", "Rexburg PD: Human remains found on Chad Daybell's property belong to JJ Vallow, Tylee Ryan", "Lori Vallow throws a pool party hours after her estranged husband was killed by her brother", "Charles Vallow had a $1 million life insurance policy he left to J.J.'s grandma, rather than Lori Vallow Daybell", "New court records, surveillance video pinpoint last days missing Idaho kids were seen", "How a Gilbert drive-by shooting is tied to the Idaho missing children", "Woman's death linked to missing kids with ties to AZ by Idaho authorities", "Sheriff sets record straight in Tammy Daybell death investigation", "Mother of missing children seen in video leaving their belongings in storage before fleeing to Hawaii", "Private Investigator Shares New Details On Missing Idaho Kids' Cousin, Family", "Mother of two missing children will fight extradition, remain in jail", "911 calls shed light on incidents related to missing Idaho kids", "Cellphone of missing Idaho teen found with mother, source says", "Report: Mom of missing Idaho kids leaves Kauai with new husband", "Lori Vallow, mother of two missing Idaho children, arrested in Hawaii", "Boudreaux Response to OP Petition to Modify LDM, PT and CS", "Court Documents: Lori Vallow's niece allegedly knows where JJ Vallow and Tylee Ryan are", "Human remains were buried on Daybell property in the days after JJ and Tylee disappeared, documents allege", "Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Chad Daybell", "Police execute search warrant at Chad Daybell's home", "Arizona police plan to file conspiracy to commit murder charge against Lori Vallow", "Chad Daybell, husband of Lori Vallow, pleads not guilty to concealment charges, trial set for January", "Fremont Prosecutor taking over case involving Tammy Daybell's death", "A string of family deaths surround tragedy of Lori Vallow's children", "Chad Daybell and Lori Vallow indicted on murder charges", "Maricopa County grand jury indicts Lori Vallow on conspiracy to murder ex-husband in Chandler", "Concealment of evidence charges dropped against the Daybells", "New attorney appointed as co-council for Lori Vallow Daybell", "Chad Daybell waives his right to a speedy trial", "Lori Daybell still incompetent for trial; court hearing set for September", "Daybell trial pushed back, Lori Vallow still mentally unfit, judge finds", "Idaho judge grants Chad Daybell, husband of 'doomsday cult' mom, request for change of venue in murder trial", "Lori Vallow Daybell's privately hired attorney kicked off the case", "Prosecutors will not charge Chad Daybell for attempted murder of Arizona man", "Grandmother 'relieved' after judge denies request to separate Daybell cases", "Lori Vallow Daybell restored to competency; murder trial to proceed", "Idaho judge sets date, location for Lori Vallow Daybell trial", "Idaho to seek death penalty for Lori Vallow, charged with murdering her 2 children", "Charges against Chad remain; Daybells' trials to be held in Boise", "Prosecutors to seek death penalty in case against Lori Vallow Daybell", "Lori Vallow and Chad Daybell case: A timeline of events", "Vallow-Daybell requests charges be clarified, separated", "Chad Daybell asks for trial to be postponed and wants it separate from Lori Vallow Daybell", "Lori Vallow Daybell trial suspended over competency questions", "New trial date set in Vallow-Daybell case", "Keith Morrison previews Dateline special on Daybell case that is nothing like anything else hes ever seen", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Killings_of_Tylee_Ryan_and_J._J._Vallow&oldid=1142501263, September 2019 crimes in the United States, Short description is different from Wikidata, Pages using infobox person with multiple parents, Pages using infobox person with multiple spouses, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2022, Articles containing potentially dated statements from September 2019, All articles containing potentially dated statements, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2020, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0. ", Margaret Travillion [reading aloud] "If you're working or playing or sitting with friends you can [cries] dance til you're dizzy." December 28, 2021 - Judge removes Mark Means from Lori Vallow's defense team because there is a conflict of interest relating to having previously represented her husband Chad Daybell. October 1, 2019 Lori rents storage locker in Rexburg in which children's belongings are later found. They tied yellow ribbons around the trees and waited for his return. He referred to others as light or "dark" and various gradations in between. Here is what we know. August 26, 2021 - Chad Daybell waives his right to a. August 30, 2021 - Lori Vallow still found to be incompetent, due to incomplete status update from mental health facility. On May 25, 2021, they were formally charged with murder in the first degree in the deaths Tylee and JJ. JJ Vallow and Tylee Ryan at Yellowstone National Park on September 8, 2019. Jonathan Vigliott | CBS News correspondent: How did you hold it together? This story previously aired on October 3, 2020. POLICE OFFICER [Bodycam video]: Hi, who are are you? Lori Daybell is a devoted mother and she resents assertions to the contrary. Morgan Loew: I don't know that regular people could begin to understand how he could live in that house All the while those kids were buried 50 feet away in the backyard. Patti Aronofsky is the senior producer. Investigative reporter and CBS News consultant Morgan Loew has covered this story since the beginning. Chad Cox talks with police after shooting Charles Vallow. Vallow Daybell's children missing children, Joshua "JJ" Vallow, and Tylee Ryan are . But it was Tylee's bond with JJ that Vaisia will always remember. April Raymond: I feel like it's difficult to conceive of a scenario where she didn't. Who got a million dollars when he died. Items are seen hanging on the fence in memory of Tylee Ryan, 17, and Joshua "JJ" Vallow, 7, at Chad Daybell's residence in Salem, Idaho on Thursday, June 11, 2020. And now we're gonna talk about it. And finally. April Raymond: There were people from all walks of life at that memorial And it didn't really matter our differences, but we were all there for Tylee and JJ. ', [] the children are not with Chad and Lori. So angry she was still talking about it when the Rexburg police first came to her door looking for JJ. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau. Tweet. Morgan Loew: What was striking about the footage that we saw was that There's no remorse. April 28, 2022 - Judge Boyce denied request from Chad Daybell's attorney to drop his charges. He also claimed he could read light and dark auras. [16], On July 11, 2019, Charles Vallow was shot and killed in Chandler, Arizona by Lori's brother, Alex Cox,[39][40] who claimed self-defense. This is an area the Daybell family called the pet cemetery. While JJ was missing, no one at his old school spoke his name as if that somehow made it less real. The whole school turned out to celebrate the little boy who loved to dance. MELANIE GIBB: Hi Chad. On Dec. 20, 2019, the Rexburg Police Department went public on their search for JJ and Tylee.