Founded, monitored, and run by college coaches. Reed transferred to Georgia Southwestern State University after her time at Hinds, where she led the team in scoring (finishing second in the conference) and earned the teams most valuable player award. With the Lady Tigers down 15, Reed got T'd up. Jackson State University is pleased to announce a four-year contract extension for head women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed. I think one of the reasons why we are so not valued and disrespected is because of the resources. Head WBB Coach, Jackson State University . Reeds emphasis this offseason has been to work on controlling her own as well as the team's emotions. Amid conversations about the challenges coaches at HBCUs face, a successful and veteran one chimed in. To learn more about the past and present of the BCA, and to register as a member of the BCA, clickhere. Jackson State University is pleased to announce a four-year contract extension for head womens basketball coach Tomekia Reed. However, Reed spoke with passion aboutof the importance of fighting to make things better at JSU. Thirty minutes later, Reed says, Williams sent back a picture of a pregnancy test. She'd decided she was done with hoops, with college. (via March Madness WBB account). We ask that you consider turning off your ad blocker so we can deliver you the best experience possible while you are here. How a regret in NCAA Tournament near upset of LSU changed Jackson State women's basketball, Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed balances sport, Christmas for her son, Why Kim Mulkey saying Tomekia Reed won't be at Jackson State long isn't the compliment she thinks it is, Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. She was chosen as an All-State first-team selection. A native of Jackson, Miss., Reed was Jackson States womens basketball recruiting coordinator from 2006-2009. We will continue to transform the lives of our young men and be champions on the court and in the classroom.. BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - A familiar face will head the Jackson State women's basketball program as Tomekia Reed has been selected as the new head coach for Lady Tigers. Tomekia Reed earns an extension after leading Jackson State to a regular season title. TR: For me, its just really important to stay classy, stay professional, be a model and just to show we can do this. All Rights Reserved |, Lee E. Williams Athletics and Assembly Center, Prospective Student-Athlete Questionnaire, Walter Payton Health and Recreation Center, Walter Payton Center Membership Application, Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium Map. "We have to continue to knock on walls to get respect.". I one day want the messages that I speak to be remembered and carried on throughout life as a legacy as Martin Luther King., TOMEKIA REED MEETS EMMITT SMITHJackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed meets Pro Football Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith. ", POSTGAME COMMENTS: Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed after loss to LSU: 'We're gonna keep knocking', WHAT HAPPENED IN BATON ROUGE: Jackson State women's basketball falls short of historic upset of LSU in NCAA Tournament, PLAYER OF THE YEAR: How a game of 1-on-1 basketball changed Ameshya Williams-Holliday's last name. In JSU's game against Texas, Longhorns coach Vic Schaefer chewed on areferee until he received a technical. We have to continue to fight for our culture. She was chosen as an All-State first-team selection. Tomekia Reed's scowls draw technical fouls and often help Jackson State women's basketball, Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed meets Pro Football Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. She replaced Micheryln Smith, who previously served the college in the same role for eight seasons from 2007-2008 to 2014-2015. She won SWAC Player of the Year. Mulkey will make north of $2.5 million this season. I think this has opened an opportunity for us to have that national attention. Reed comes to JSU after a successful three-year stint at Hinds Community College. And so with that being said, our focus is not just in conference, competing in conference, our focus is being dominant and having a voice and being competitive out of conference. But, it's the exact opposite of the kind of respect Reed said she wanted to bring to Jackson State and HBCUs as a whole after the game. Williams resisted. Develop Your Personal Mission Statement & Compelling Vision. The coaching staff films practices and games, and will go over the team's negative emotional plays. Choose a Staff Member: Tomekia Reed Title Head Coach Phone 601-979-2818 In four seasons as head coach, Tomekia Reed has led Jackson State University women's basketball to the top of the Southwestern Athletic Conference. We have to fight for our institution. Hinds CC won a combined 47 games under Reed, including consecutive winning seasons in 2016-17 and 2017-18. 3 min read Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed is not only a success on the basketball court, but she's a woman of deep conviction and emotions.. Tomekia Reed. And it's also why Mulkey's comment, while well-intentioned, may come off as tone deaf to those who take the time to listento what Reed had to say. Now, she tries to pass on the teachings of her parents to her young son, Carlon. The man behind those moves was Ashley Robinson, recently named AD of The Year and the recipient of a new contract himself earlier this month. Our conference. Reed offers officials "The Scowl" a combination. In making the program's second straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament, and the first as a #14 seed, Jackson State led in the fourth quarter in nearly achieving an historic tournament win over #3 LSU. The SWAC honored Reed as the Coach of the Year after. Coach Tomekia Reed is a native of Jackson, Mississippi, and a 1999 graduate of Murrah High School. So I just got to a point where I couldnt keep sitting on it. "Could you please respond to let me know that you're OK?" He is bringing more respect to the HBCU community, I will say that. She earned an associates degree in sports medicine from Hinds in 2001 and a bachelors in exercise science from Georgia Southwestern in 2003. SLAM: As a former hooper, was there a specific moment that paved the way for a career in coaching? If Im never afforded the opportunity to get to a higher platformits okay. She thinks back to seeing MLK's famous moments and seeing his speeches and what he believed in and for the reality for Black people to be living in it right now, and the feeling is great. She's helped me believe. SLAMhas partnered with theBlack Coaches Associationon a content series that will spotlight Black coaches from every level. Reed comes to Jackson State following a successful three-year stint as coach of the Hinds Community College women's basketball team. History beckoned. For Jackson State women's coach Tomekia Reed, living with the last part of LSU's 19-3 run in an 83-77 loss against to the Tigers in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament has been tough.. finley, 36, will make $450,000 in base salary a year, $175,000 more than her predecessor, cam . But it is obvious that Reeds star is on the rise, and true to Mulkeys words, her pay will have to rise as well. All had failed. "Coaching at an HBCU is not for the weak," Tomekia Reed wrote on Twitter. ", Get to know Jackson State women's basketball's Dayzsha Rogan. Especially not early in the third quarter on Saturday in Baton Rouge, when third-seeded LSU and its national champion coach led by 17. Reed led Hinds CC to the NJCAA Region 23 title game in 2017. Tomekia Reed always knew coaching at Jackson State was a goal she wanted to achieve. Williams responded that day. Follow. Mulkey bowed her head, then shook it, oozing relief. The Tigers' athletic department described his extension as a "multi-year" deal. This March Madness story, of a player-mother and her caring coach, who almost led Jackson State to an upset of LSU, deserves to be told. This past season Reed was named SWAC Coach of the Year and Ameshya Williams, Marneisha Hamer, and Dayzsha Rogan were named to the all-conference team. Jackson State extended Reed back in 2020 as she quickly put the program from the SWAC cellar to among its elite. They took a lead, then extended it and their fans who'd traveled down Interstate-55 roared. But if anybody could take anything away from it, it's that we can and we will. Her coaching career began in 04 at South Georgia Technical College, where she served as an assistant coach and recruiter for three seasons. Saturday's game was a prime example of where she can take a program. Head Women's Basketball Coach JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY 20, '22 SWAC Coach of the Year '20, '21, '22 SWAC Reg Season . Why are we not valued? They still exist. After nearly upsetting LSU in a first-round NCAA Tournament game on March 19, 2022, Coach Reed was asked what her message to her team was following the tough loss: "Honestly, my message after today's game was, we have to continue to fight for our institution. Kim Mulkey knew her LSU team was fortunate to come out on top against Jackson State, and she said as much in her post-game press conference.Its not that she was surprised, either. I don't know what y'all say but all I feel is a loss. Martin Luther King Jr., Reed said, I often think about all of the things he fought for. Lee made a deep 3-pointer and the basket went viral and the moment brought Jackson State its first ESPY in school history. After the final buzzer sounded Saturday, and LSU narrowly staved off what would have been one of the biggest upsets in NCAA Tournamentwomen's basketball history,coachKim Mulkeyhad a message for Jackson State coach Tomekia Reed. HOUSTON - Center Daphne White recorded a double-double with 13 points, 12 rebounds, and a block as the Jackson State Lady Tigers dominated the Texas Southern Lady Tigers 87-58 as 1,284 fans . But still we are walked over and thought less of. $290,000.00. I just know talent and I respect people from afar on a job well done.Mulkey is known for being a humorous, tell-it-like-it-is coach with the media. Theres an undeniable truth behind the words spoken by Jackson States womens basketball head coach, Tomekia Reed. They're still ongoing. But lets also shine a light on other sports and what other people are doing. She has guided JSU to four consecutive berths in the SWAC Tournament semifinals, three straight berths in the conference tournament finals, three straight SWAC regular-season titles, and two straight SWAC tournament titles and NCAA appearances. Learn more about the BCAhere. TR: He is just opening up the doors in so many ways for the community, for all sportsthe revenue, the resources that hes bringing. The upset of LSU was the storybook ending, the tale that would have overtaken the tournament. And I think that afforded me the opportunity to play four years on a scholarship. They'd talked about the "rise of the underdog." The turning point? It was at Hinds that Reed led the Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) in rebounds per game and was also second in the conference in scoring. We are doing the same thing other coaches are doing with less resources and sometimes a lot less talent. Jackson State pays its football coach Deion Sanders less than a fifth of that. HOW LSU CHANGED JSU WOMEN'S BASKETBALLHow a regret in NCAA Tournament near upset of LSU changed Jackson State women's basketball, When I am in the game, Reed said. Mississippi State Personnel Board. Thats why I am still single, Reed joked to the Clarion Ledger when asked about The Scowl. At Hinds, Reed led the Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) in rebounds per game and was also second in the conference in scoring. I had a very high basketball IQ and I was a great leader. And most of the end? Ameshya Williams-Holliday, their star player who doubles as a wife and mother, Reed had screamed when brackets were released, Six months after that, she gave birth to her son, Jace, met her husband by beating him in one-on-one basketball. Others are about getting her team going. Mackenzie talks with junior Lady Tigers guard Dayzsha Rogan to get to know what her pregame rituals are, her favorite music, and more. Turner Staci Ann. That I believe in them.. It doesnt matter what people say about us, it doesnt matter, the respect that we dont get. And it shouldnt change seeing yourself on a higher platform. And then, in 2019, with childcare support from her mother and grandmother, Williams, along with Reed, set out to build the Lady Tigers into one of the best mid-major programs in women's basketball. Reed is a two-time SWAC Coach of The Year (2020, 2022). One-hundred and . KING DAYJSU COACH MO WILLIAMS ON ML KING DAY. The comment was meant as a feel-good sign of respect. Coach. Tomekia Reed. Reed and her brother were. Jayvous McKinnis also won SWAC Defensive Player of the Year and Roland Griffin was thethe 2019-20 SWAC Newcomer of the Year this past season for the Tigers. Other transfers and high-school recruits followed. Reed, who is in her fifth season at JSU, has posted an 85-45 mark and 64-10 record in SWAC action, which includes tying the single-season wins record (23) last season, three consecutive. Always that one that was helping and I put my hands in everything and thats who I am as a head coach right now. SLAM: What has the impact of having JSU football head coach Deion Sanders on campus been like? Not with leaders like Reed; and players like Crump, who had 21 points Saturday, and who's just a junior. LSU coach Kim Mulkey said Tomekia Reed wont be at Jackson State long if they dont pay her. Reed began her coaching career at South Georgia Technical College, where she served as assistant womens basketball coach for three seasons. An anxious Jackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed tried to steal a victory over No. She signed two of Georgias top athletes and one of Mississippis finest Dandy Dozen players. When were going against Power Five institutions, or even high mid-majors or mid-majors, they always down us for what we dont have. We have to fight for our conference, Reed said. The one technical ignited JSU into a run to retake the lead from LSU. "I'm glad he called it," she later said of the ref. And that program's rise isn't finished. "Even though this is her last game for Jackson State University," Reed said of Williams-Holliday, "she is gonna continue to open the door for our conference, for our institution, for our HBCU community. All great coaches have their signature way to work officials during a basketball game. "Hey, Kim Mulkey got it coming baby!" Reed's extension is four years. Amid discussions about the challenges coaches at histocially Black colleges and universities face, two-time SWAC Coach of The Year, Tomekia Reed stepped in to set the record straight in a series of tweets on Wednesday. On Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, not only will her Lady Tigers play at Texas Southern, but she will carry a heavy heart into the game. 2023 www.clarionledger.com. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); HoopDirt is your source for the latest college basketball coaching news, rumors, and job postings. Him and I talk all the time, we meet all the time. 175 s.3rd street suite 200 columbus ohio 43215 [email . We're going to keep knocking until we get the same as other institutions," Reed said. Dps-State Medical Examiner. Reed knows what it takes to lead a program to success, both as a player and a coach. I took jobs all over the place at predominately white institutions, and the Lord afforded me an opportunity to come back. Design Your Ideal Work Environment & Work Day. The Jackson, Mississippi native, who originally joined the program back in 06 as a recruiting coordinator, has taken the HBCU program back to prominence after winning back-to-back SWAC regular season championships since being hired as the head coach in 2018. That should not change who you are, and how you carry yourself. Current Role & Salary Review. REED BALANCES CHRISTMAS AND HER SONJackson State women's basketball coach Tomekia Reed balances sport, Christmas for her son, We want to use our emotions as a positive, Reed said. It was not until Reed received a technical foul that JSU responded with a 10-2 run of its own.