It seemed like I had the whole place to myself. The station used to be a grungy zoo but over the past few years they have made some updates. Established . Chicago Union Station is the size of nearly 10 city blocks, is the third-busiest rail terminal in the United States, and is Amtraks overall fourth busiest station, serving about 140,000 passengers on an average weekday. The neighborhood is best known as the location of Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Studios, but this downtown neighborhood is also an up-and-coming spot for Chicago's trendsetters. I've not been to the museum, but the Wright homes are gorgeous. 201 E. Randolph Street, ~8-minute drive from Union Station. A family-friendly museum highlight tour is given daily, and hands-on learning activities are offered on the weekends. Today, the transportation hub runs Amtrak and Metra trains in and out of the city. Oops, forgot to tell you that the trip is in late December. If it were me, being the kind of person that doesn't like to spend a lot of money and enjoys walking, I would head east towards (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? 1200 W. Randolph Street, ~7-minute drive from Union Station. Not bad for a layover activity! If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. As for chow, if you are not in a Pizza or Diner mood, Al's Beef just around the corner on Adams tosses out an excellent Italian Beef Sandwich. Maybe it was a quiet weekend or time of day but very little people were walking through or sitting on any of the benches. Our mission is to serve the 50+ traveler who's ready to cross a few items off their bucket list. Amentities? It's kind of a giant food court. Open 7 days a week Union Station closes daily between 1am-5am. It's well worth a trip to Chicago. Besides, Chicago is such a vibrant city; it would be a shame to pass through without taking in any of the sights and activities. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. There is also the free trolley to some of the shopping areas such as State Street and Navy Pier. If youre a sleeping car or first-class passenger, spend some time relaxing in the Metropolitan Lounge (or, if youre a coach passenger, consider paying the daily fee for access) located in the Grand Hall. I'm going to look in to that too. We already have this email. The Pritzker Family Children's Zoo area provides children the opportunity to view snakes and insects at their eye level, and there is a treetop-themed climbing area for them to explore. Sounds like a nice trip! Interested in Chicagos diverse and iconic architecture? Not knowing where to go or what to see, instead of exploring the area, I filled the layover working on my laptop while eating at the food court, then sat on an uncomfortable wood bench in the Grand Hall for a few hours, waiting for my next train. the two floored amtrak club accommodations are also nice. We found 1,456 things to do for you near Union Station Skydeck Chicago - Willis Tower 17,661 Reviews 233 S Wacker Drive entrance on Jackson Blvd (south side of building), Chicago, IL 60606-7147 7 minutes from Union Station Experiences from $11 See 39 Experiences Chicago Riverwalk 3,034 Reviews Chicago, IL 60601 7 minutes from Union Station During my first train trip from Kansas City to Washington, D.C., I arrived in Chicagos Union Station on my first layover with several hours to fill before departing. Traveling to San Francisco via Amtrak's California Zephyr from Chicago will take you through two mountain ranges; along the way, you can relax and watch bald eagles soar over . Rmrmber to be back at the station one hour before train time to check in with the Conductor and get your Boarding Pass. Absolutely beautiful architectural masterpiece! It's a building that fits the purpose in a visually pleasing way: very comfortable inside with more than a few places to eat in the food court. Which places are best for bars & clubs near Union Station? The cruise, which lasts an hour and 30 minutes, will treat you to a view of the city from the water aboard Chicagos First Lady. Now, she enjoys travelingand writing aboutthe U.S. and Canada by train. Our newsletter hand-delivers the best bits to your inbox. On Second Citys three-hour foodie tour, youll sample classic Chicago tastes. According to Tripadvisor travelers, these are the best ways to experience Union Station: journey begins with a visit to the Founders Room to collect our Golden Tickets. Chicago Transit Authority (L Trains & Buses). We got there at the 30 minute mark and over 200 people were in line for our train. We will have about 6 hours to spend near Union Station. 520 W. Taylor Street, ~13-minute walk or 4-minute drive from Union Station. Good Morning! Acquainting yourself with the layout of the station ahead of time will help. Which places are best for bars & clubs near Union Station? December can be miserable in Chicago--really miserable. Jill is currently writing the first of 12 train travel guides: Ride the Southwest Chief. 10Best Says. And Lou Mitchell's at 565 W. Jackson is walking distance. Check with your hotel to see if they will hold your luggage until check-in. 97% of travelers recommend this experience. Take a brisk walk to Portillos Hot Dogs for a classic Chicago hot dog. Everything you need to know about visiting Union Station(225 S Canal St, Chicago IL 60606). We want to inspire you to explore new destinations, discover new experiences and savor the journey. Sign up to unlock our digital magazines and also receive the latest news, events, offers and partner promotions. To use our mobile site, please enable JavaScript. more. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. We found 1,736 things to do for you near Union Station Skydeck Chicago - Willis Tower 17,721 Reviews 233 S Wacker Drive entrance on Jackson Blvd (south side of building), Chicago, IL 60606-7147 5 minutes from Union Station Experiences from $8 See 38 Experiences Chicago Riverwalk 3,057 Reviews Chicago, IL 60601 5 minutes from Union Station Location Provided With Ticket Purchase, ~10-minute drive from Union Station. Divvy, Chicago's bike-share program, offers over 580 stations and 5,800 bikes across the city, available for rent 24/7. These are the best experiences near Union Station: These places are best for bars & clubs near Union Station: Which are the best experiences near Union Station? These reviews are the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Shallow: Great reminder. The Art Institute of Chicago 111 S. Michigan Avenue, ~8-minute drive from Union Station Founded in 1879, the Art Institute is one of the oldest art museums in the U.S. and boasts the largest collection of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art outside the Louvre. Study the map before taking off on a train trip with a Chicago layover. Find Divvy locations and rates. Also located on the north side of the city is the Lincoln Park Zoo. Indoor activities, like the city's many museums, ensure a respite from the windy winters while outdoor sights, like the Lincoln Park Zoo, offer a good reason to get outside. Originally a tiny hotdog stand called The Dog House, this relic was opened by Dick Portillo in 1963. This will be our 1st trip without kids in too many years to count, so we don't mind some splurges. I live in Chicago - Sears Tower, Greek Town for food are great ideas! Amata_(ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Chicagos Union Station is the third-busiest rail station in the U.S., with about 140,000 passengers passing through each day. This is the 1st leg of a total relaxation vacation. (Photo: Tim Boyle/Getty Images News/Getty Images ), Zoos & Aquariums Near Champaign, Illinois, Shedd Aquarium: Plan a Visit -- Hours and Calendar, Famous Tourist Attractions in the State of Illinois, Rock Climbing Walls for Kids in Central Illinois, Kids' Attractions Near Union Station, Chicago, Illinois, Privacy Notice/Your California Privacy Rights. Chicago, Illinois 60606. If your timing is right, you can take part in neighborhood events like the West Loop Farmers Market, Craft Beer Fest, or the Randolph Street Market Festival. lol. Open since 1925, Union Station remains Chicago's intercity rail terminal and the largest terminal for commuter trains. Yes, red caps service and handicapped transportation (wheel chairs or Tram carts) are available in the station. Things to Do at and near Union Station. It was late only 12 minutes from La Crosse and making it on time to Union Station, Chicago. Millennium Park is an award-winning center for art, music, architecture, and landscape design. But myself, I'd walk south on Michigan a few blocks to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? My aunt had a similar layover a few years ago. Travel writer and publisher of Evolving Magazine, Jill Dutton caught the train travel bug when she spent three months in Europe with a Eurail pass. I am bringing 2 elderly people (89 and 84) in late August for a trip to Seattle. The architecture of the Great Hall is worth seeing. After grabbing my luggage from the train, my first course of action was obvious: Follow the hoard of passengers from the tracks to the station. The station is huge and has many gorgeous areas. Considering this was a large transportation hub there was a lot of available metered street parking right along the street. The station is located at 225 S Canal St and the west side of the Chicago River between Adams Street and West Jackson Boulevard very close to the city center and just next to the Chicago Greyhound Bus station. Also Hemingway's house is there with a museum. Uber ride came in no time and Asan from Bulgaria was friendly and professional. We recommend booking Union Station tours ahead of time to secure your spot. Devastated our child, who was already dressed in his Polar Express pajamas and ready to go. These are the best experiences near Union Station: These places are best for bars & clubs near Union Station: Which are the best experiences near Union Station? Chicago Scavenger Hunt 1 Self-guided Tours from $8.00 per adult LIKELY TO SELL OUT* Chicago City Driving Tour Bus Tours from $595.00 per group (up to 1) Gangsters and Ghosts Tour in Chicago 2,223 Recommended City Tours from $35.00 per adult Big Bus Chicago Hop-On Hop-Off Tour 851 Bus Tours from $44.99 per adult LIKELY TO SELL OUT* 45 Credits, One Popcorn, and One Fountain Drink for One Person. Spend part of your layover on the Chicago Architecture Foundation Center River Cruise. Thank you so much for all the great suggestions & tips. You could go to the Sears tower or go to millennium park to see the bean or the magnificent mile. (Photo: Tim Boyle/Getty Images News/Getty Images ). Millennium Park is bordered by Michigan Avenue to the west, Columbus Drive to the east, Randolph Street to the north and Monroe Street to the south. Chicago is an ideal city for a family vacation, featuring many attractions for young visitors to enjoy in all types of weather. Any restaurant recommendations or ideas on places to go (& best means of travel to get there) would be so appreciated. You can check your bags through to your next destination (if you didnt do so on the first leg of your trip) or leave them for the day, freeing you up to check out the city without lugging bags around. Not an ideal way to spend a layover. more, You seem to have JavaScript disabled. I found the lounge to be an oasis. Her articles have been published on sites such as Goodkin, Go Green Street and Living the Healthy Way. It was beautiful. So callous and unapologetic in completely ruining part of our Christmas experience. The Great Hall with its soaring glass ceilings was quite spectacular. Film buffs will recognize the Great Hall from its appearances in movies like The Untouchables, My Best Friend's Weddingand Flags of Our Fathers, among others. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher. Youll find restaurants and concessions during the summer months, plus benches and lookout points, boat rentals, and water tours. We arrived early enough so I could wander around the Grand Hall and study everything. Millennium Park Chicago was most recently updated with new tips on June 28, 2017. W1612 Litchfield Rd, Lake Geneva. Grab a seat at the bar and order the "Fire-Bird" chicken sandwich, which is stacked with . Download a PDF of this Union Station is an iconic building and a marvel of modern transportation for nearly a century. 225 S Canal St, Chicago, IL 60606-5702 Neighbourhood: West Loop Fulton Market, Randolph Market, Jackson Boulevard and Greek Town make up the West Loop. Having a compartment allows entry. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. By the way Merlot, Since you are taking the Southwest Chief you might want to go to the train travel forum and do a search there for info on your train. With 90 minutes notice until the train departed, we were informed by text that our tickets would be cancelled and we would be refunded. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. These are free. So when it was in the school library it was still fairly new. Premier Chicago River Architectural Lunch Cruise, Chicago Favorites Ultimate Food & Walking Tour, Chicago in a Day: Food, History and Architecture Walking Tour, 45-Minute Chicago River Architecture Tour from Magnificent Mile, 90-Minute Chicago River Architecture Tour, The Escape Game Chicago: Epic 60-Minute Adventures. Here is what I would do: if you want to eat right away, breakfast at Lou Mitchell's is a good choice. 376 N. Michigan Avenue, ~8-minute drive from Union Station. Kids' Activities Near Libertyville, Illinois. If you have a business class ticket you can store your luggage for free in the Metropolitan Lounge - if not go near the Greyhound bus desk and across from there they have the baggage check. Go international with our nine tips for traveling Europe by rail. We will be arriving at about 3-4pm and leave at about 10pm. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. You could visit the Art Institute if that's an interest. I whiteness employees at the McDonalds twice a year giving these workers a hard time. The tunnel from Union Station to Northwestern Station. $$ - $$$ Mediterranean Greek Vegetarian Friendly, $$ - $$$ International Vegetarian Friendly Vegan Options, $$$$ American Vegetarian Friendly Vegan Options, Historic Sites Points of Interest & Landmarks, Points of Interest & Landmarks Monuments & Statues.