Uh [sighs] Okay. lindbacken fastigheter . Are we always gonna defer to the richest, most powerful people? [Tristan] We were all looking for the moment when technology would overwhelm human strengths and intelligence. The Social Dilemma documentary transcript University Weber State University Course En Introduct College Writing (ENGL 1010) Uploaded by RedStoneMan2.0 Academic year2022/2023 Helpful? [Tristan] Were being bombarded with rumors. This documentary-drama hybrid explores the dangerous human impact of social networking, with tech experts sounding the alarm on their own creations. Its a marketplace that never existed before. Hi, as far as I know this is the full transcript as Im not aware of the existence of longer versions of the documentary. A lot of people think, you know, Oh, well, Googles just a search box, and Facebooks just a place to see what my friends are doing and see their photos. But what they dont realize is theyre competing for your attention. So, today, they are convincing the people that the Earth is flat, but tomorrow, they will be convincing you of something thats false. The underlying fundamental issues that need to be addressed to contain the spread of misinformation are: (1) the structure of the social networks and (2) the lack of checks and balances. [interviewer] Wanna start by introducing yourself? If something is a tool, it genuinely is just sitting there, waiting patiently. The EC is like any political movement in history, when you think about it. [Roger] The law runs way behind on these things, but what I know is the current situation exists not for the protection of users, but for the protection of the rights and privileges of these gigantic, incredibly wealthy companies. [Ben] Oh, there is. [Tim] Rewind a few years ago, I was the I was the president of Pinterest. Six months. [Blue AI] Yeah, Ben loved all of her posts. [Rebecca] Okay, well, Im gonna get a snack before practice if you wanna come. Subscribe, [vlogger] and also come back because Im telling you, yo. The Prisoner Dilemma is a simple but very effective example of social dilemma. And everyone else shes ever met in her entire life. GPS coordinates indicate that theyre in close proximity. Download and use BSPlayer to get the subtitles for your language. [Justin] When you go to Google and type in Climate change is, youre going to see different results depending on where you live. [Joe Toscano] This is the worst part, man. The Social Dilemma is a 2020 American docudrama lm directed by Je Orlowski and written by Orlowski, Davis Coombe, and Vickie Curtis. The Social Dilemma (2020) Movie Script 1 [eerie instrumental music playing] [interviewer] Why don't you go ahead? [reporter] An extraordinary election took place Sunday in Brazil. They are completely clueless. Even the wonderfully talented Skyler Gisondo cannot make a sequence work where he plays a teenager seduced by extremist disinformation, and the scenes with Vincent Kartheiser embodying the formulas that fight our efforts to pay . You dont have self-determination. Coronavirus is not killing people, its the 5G radiation that theyre pumping out. And its not like were lab rats for developing a cure for cancer. [Rene] What were seeing is a global assault on democracy. [Marco Rubio] We are a nation of people that no longer speak to each other. [Tristan] Im probably most addicted to my e-mail. A march. Gen Z, the kids born after 1996 or so, those kids are the first generation in history that got on social media in middle school. We We used to have these protections. These things have become digital Frankensteins that are terraforming the world in their image, whether its the mental health of children or our politics and our political discourse, without taking responsibility for taking over the public square. [Aza] People have the misconception its our data being sold. The AIs are gonna get better at predicting what keeps us on the screen, not worse at predicting what keeps us on the screen. [reporter 8] How do you handle an epidemic in the age of fake news? [interviewer] Youre recommending something to undo what you made. [Guillaume] The flat-Earth conspiracy theory was recommended hundreds of millions of times by the algorithm. So, you know, Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, companies like this, their business model is to keep people engaged on the screen. Youre not gonna get paid. [Tristan] Its not about the technology being the existential threat. It would be a lot easier to see the photo., [Tristan] When Facebook found that feature, they just dialed the hell out of that because they said, This is gonna be a great way to grow activity. Pull down and refresh again, its new. Whats not okay is when theres no regulation, no rules, and no competition, and the companies are acting as sort of de facto governments. If a title is long, it can be shortened to the first noun phrase in parenthetical citations. [Rene] Most of the countries that are targeted are countries that run democratic elections. By state actors, by people with millions of dollars saying, I wanna destabilize Kenya. [Joe] We could tax data collection and processing the same way that you, for example, pay your water bill by monitoring the amount of water that you use. [Sandy] Chamath was the head of growth at Facebook early on, and hes very well known in the tech industry for pioneering a lot of the growth tactics that were used to grow Facebook at incredible speed. Browse Catalog Grades Pre-K - K 1 - 2 3 - 5 [Tim Kendall] We often talked about, at Facebook, this idea of being able to just dial that as needed. Social dilemmas<br />"A social dilemma exists whenever a particular course of action or inaction will benefit the individual but harm the others in the group and cause more harm t [reporter 2] Its exacerbated by the fact that you can literally isolate yourself now in a bubble, thanks to our technology. Thats amazing. Absolutely not. [Tristan] But it wasnt about who you wanted to vote for. I dont hate them. As the groups got bigger on Facebook, Facebooks recommendation engine started suggesting to regular users that they join Pizzagate groups. [Cynthia M. Wong] Some of the most troubling implications of governments and other bad actors weaponizing social media, um, is that it has led to real, offline harm. [AI] Perfect. They were different when newspapers came in and the printing press came in, and they were different when television came in, and you had three major networks and. 130 Comments Please sign inor registerto post comments. I havent heard anybody talk about this. And I was feeling this frustration [sighs] with the tech industry, overall, that wed kind of, like, lost our way. If what you need is the official screenplay, probably its best to contact directly the producers/creators of the movie. [Joe] I dont think these guys set out to be evil. I was in the pantry, you know, typing away on an e-mail or sometimes looking at Pinterest. Two billion people will have thoughts that they didnt intend to have because a designer at Google said, This is how notifications work on that screen that you wake up to in the morning. And we have a moral responsibility, as Google, for solving this problem. This quote . [sighs] Ben? This cartoon super villain view of the world strikes me as a kind of mirror image of the right-wing. This timestamped, summarized transcript of The Social Dilemma is a versatile resource to support your use of this powerful documentary in your classroom. Well, you should be able to, cause thats exactly whats happening on Facebook. I mean, this one is less. And thats how Facebook works. All right, were on. You have to ask yourself, like, Is this normal? I get what youre saying. system is also played by a celebrity Vincent Kartheiser of Mad Men voices the . These services are killing people and causing people to kill themselves. Scanner. In simpler words, timestamps are included in the transcriptions to indicate when the adjacent text was spoken in the audio. At the time. Theyre ruining the fabric of democracy. For the last ten years, the biggest companies in Silicon Valley have been in the business of selling their users. [Tim] We are zealots about it. Creative things happened on the Internet,and certainly, they do still, but, like, it just feels like this, like, giant mall. Its not enough that you use the product consciously, I wanna dig down deeper into the brain stem and implant, inside of you, an unconscious habit so that you are being programmed at a deeper level. Its not something you can just decide to ignore. The film features interviews with many former employees, executives and other professionals from top tech companies and social media platforms, who provide their first-hand experiences of working in and around the tech industry. Their sentence depends on their level of cooperation. Thank you . the social dilemma transcript with timestampsbohnen fermentieren rezept. [Jaron] Never accept a video recommended to you on YouTube. We see Russia and China spreading rumors and conspiracy theories. [Alex] Yeah, these things, you release them, and they take on a life of their own. [Tristan] How does this come across on camera if I were to do, like, this move, [Tristan] Exactly. Nearing the end of his average session length. Nice, simple business. The Social Dilemma Movie 2020 (live stream), Nothing vast enters the life of mortals without a curse. Sophocles. [knocks lightly on door] Ben. For a TV show or movie, this will likely be the episode name or the show or the movie title. You can ALSO get everything you need from the library catalog. And why we wanna do that is because if you ask people, Whats wrong in the tech industry right now? theres a cacophony of grievances and scandals, and They stole our data. And theres tech addiction. This Google doc contains detailed notes with corresponding timestamps for every 5 (or so) minutes. On the ground! So, theres no doubt that a vehicle like social media, which optimizes this connection between people, is going to have the potential for addiction. Let us know what we can do by calling us at +1-203-413-2414 or by leaving us an email at transcripts@civi.com. [Jaron] A lot of people in Silicon Valley subscribe to some kind of theory that were building some global super brain, and all of our users are just interchangeable little neurons, no one of which is important. [interviewer] What are you most worried about? Every developers should read this. Thats the point. Facebook is in charge of your news feed. Whatever the time is, half an hour before bedtime, all devices out. So, the first rule is all devices out of the bedroom at a fixed time every night. Have Someone to Blame: Attributions of Causality Probably the cleverest element of persuasion was the translation of algorithms into what appears to be entitled, self-satisfied white male Millennials a reflection of the Silicon Valley stereotype. Because theyre controlling, you know, the information that we see, theyre controlling us more than were controlling them. And so, every day, it gets slightly better at picking the right posts in the right order so that you spend longer and longer in that product. We play the video.And then, Ladies and gentlemen, Tristan Harris.. Cause I need it back. Think about that compounded by two billion people, and then think about how people react then to the perceptions of others. I mean, this is just the latest new level that weve seen. Its absolutely absurd. Guys kind of a genius. [Roger] The way to think about it is its 2.7 billion Truman Shows. In certain cities, youre gonna see it autocomplete with climate change is a hoax. In other cases, youre gonna see climate change is causing the destruction of nature. And thats a function not of what the truth is about climate change, but about where you happen to be Googling from and the particular things Google knows about your interests. A reclusive, morbidly obese English teacher attempts to reconnect with his estranged teenage daughter. the social dilemma transcript with timestampsvsters friluftsomrde. Were just zombies, and they want us to look at more ads so they can make moremoney. [Dr. Anna Lembke] So, heres the thing. That is Thats a lie. It allows the readers to identify which part of the audio corresponds to which section. [Tristan] If we dont agree on what is true or that there is such a thing as truth, were toast. Yeah, its real. Open up, [Justin] And then you look over at the other side, and you start to think, How can those people be so stupid? If you can go to somebody and you say, Give me $10 million, and I will change the world one percent in the direction you want it to change Its the world! Theyre pulling people away from their kids. The number who have ever gone out on a date or had any kind of romantic interaction is dropping rapidly. I locked it for an hour, so just leave it alone. The other side of the screen, pointed at my brain, got me to watch one more video. [Roger] If everyones entitled to their own facts, theres really no need for compromise, no need for people to come together. Read full review. Its seducing you. Arms up. Theres the engagement goal: to drive up your usage, to keep you scrolling. Like, wheres the existential threat? [Tristan] What were seeing with COVID is just an extreme version of whats happening across our information ecosystem. lsrstider lund polhem support@lawfirmrankers.com; berkna hllfasthet balkong Facebook fortnox ndra kundfaktura Linkedin. Thank you for providing this transcript so I can more easily record and share insights with my students. It is stated that social media is a useful service that does lots of good with a parallel money machine. Explain. Some of the best quotes from The Social Dilemma are mentioned above. The model, once you have it, you can predict the kinds of things that person does. They cant know whats real or whats true which is why this conversation is so critical right now. This is a real change in a generation. Send a wave. Okay, theres the supercomputer. And I was like, Is anybody else thinking about this? [Tim] Well, I mean, its sort its interesting that knowing what was going on behind the curtain, I still wasnt able to control my usage. Exactly what image you stop and look at, for how long you look at it. [Tristan] We can demand that these products be designed humanely. On the ground. [Tristan] Theres this narrative that, you know, Well just adapt to it. Its Its manipulation. So, thats a little scary. Right? Its just not that big a deal. Now, down. The main argument made is that Social Media is Bad. Like, how do you wake up from the matrix when you dont know youre in the matrix? They know when people are looking at photos of your ex-romantic partners. [Green AI] Ive got a new vlogger lined up, too. And no one really understands what theyre doing in order to achieve that goal. Sep 10, 2020. Sold! Whats this video Mom just sent us? [Alex] When I was there, I always felt like, fundamentally, it was a force for good. [Guillaume] Im not using Google anymore, Im using Qwant, which doesnt store your search history. [AI] Follow that up with a post from User 079044238820, Rebecca. When creating an in-text citation, the information in the parentheses should always match the first item in your full Works Cited reference entry. All David has to do is place those temptations in the Kitchen Safe. [Growth AI] I calculate a 92.3 percent chance of resurrection with a notification about Ana. The Social Dilemma Your Undivided Attention 9,156 views 9 Sep 2020 Transcribe your podcast [00:00:00] Today on your undivided attention, instead of a podcast guest, we would like to tell you about something really exciting.