During the interview process, candidates will have the opportunity to meet faculty, visit clinical training sites, attend a brief orientation to South University Anesthesiologist Assistant program, and receive financial aid information. Strong preparation in science is highly valued. Full Time position. 100% of South University AA Program students pass the NCCAA on the first pass. Students who have a positive drug and alcohol screen result during enrollment will be referred to the AA Program's Progress and Promotions committee. South University Anesthesiologist Assistant Program (info) School of Health Professions South University 709 Mall Blvd Savannah, GA 31406 With Nova Southeastern Universitys Dual Admission program, you can earn your bachelor's and your Master of Science in Anesthesia (M.S.) Master of Healthcare Administration-South University, Online Programs, Associate of Science in Physical Therapy Assistant-South University, Montgomery, Doctor of Pharmacy-South University, Columbia, Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management-South University, Richmond, Master of Science in Physician Assistant-South University, Savannah, Campuses offer flexible learning formats including: on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses*, Master of Medical Science in Anesthesia Science: 169 Credits, 9355 - 113th Street North, #7709, Seminole, FL 33775, www.southuniversity.edu/admissions/academic-catalog, ANS5081 Principles of Airway Management I, ANS5120 Introduction to Anesthesia Delivery Systems & Equipment, ANS5160 Introduction to Clinical Anesthesia, ANS5221 Principles of Instrumentation and Patient Monitoring I, ANS5345 Anesthesia Principles and Practice I, ANS5201 Cardiovascular Physiology for Anesthesia Practice I, ANS5222 Principles of Instrumentation and Patient Monitoring II, ANS5346 Anesthesia Principles and Practice II, ANS5421 Pharmacology in Anesthesia Practice I, ANS5202 Cardiovascular Physiology for Anesthesia Practice II, ANS5300 Pulmonary Physiology for Anesthesia Practice, ANS5347 Anesthesia Principles and Practice III, ANS5422 Pharmacology in Anesthesia Practice II, ANS5302 Pulmonary Physiology for Anesthesia Practice II, ANS5348 Anesthesia Principles and Practice IV, ANS5502 Advanced Anesthesia Systems and Monitoring, General Biology (200 or higher level Biology courses will also fulfill this requirement); Labs preferred but not required), General Chemistry (Full Academic Year) Labs are required, Organic Chemistry (Sophomore 200 level) Labs are required, Biochemistry (Junior 300 level); Labs preferred but not required, General Physics (Full academic year); (Sophomore 200 level) Labs are required, Statistics (Math or Statistics department courses), Cell and Molecular Biology, Anatomy, and Physiology, Full year of Organic Chemistry Trigonometry or Calculus based Physics. On the application, applicants must self-report their MCAT score in the "Standardized Tests" section and include their AAMC identification number. Applicants must submit the drug screen results to the program office prior to matriculation. You can apply for just about any combination of the following Premier Programs: You may apply for and be admitted into only one Dual Admission program for your first semester. Students using private health insurance must ensure that their plan covers treatment and monitoring for needle stick injuries and other documented exposure to blood borne pathogens for all clinical rotation locations. You've only seen one page. Columbia, SC 29208. Acceptance or denial of a request for deferral is at the discretion of the Program Director. Should I send official transcripts to the AA office? Applicant scoring is based on the following: GRE scores for verbal and quantitative (297 and above is preferred) Number of patient care hours. Complete the supplemental Premier Programs application for fall entry. In general, prerequisites cannot be substituted. These tasks include but are not limited to peripheral and central venous catheterization, arterial puncture and cannulation, breathing bag-and-mask ventilation, laryngeal mask airway insertion and management, endotracheal intubation. Safari and Chrome browsers recommended. Areas of consideration include interpersonal skills, personal motivation, knowledge and understanding of the AA profession and the Anesthesia Care Team, academic performance and level of achievement, life experiences, and recommendations. Acceptance into a South University program or its completion does not imply or guarantee that a student will be able to obtain subsequent licensure or certification. Effectively communicating in writing, and by record keeping, those data and information essential to the practice of anesthesia and the care of patients. The federal government recognizes anesthesiologist assistants as equivalent to nurse anesthetists in the anesthesia care team mode of anesthesia delivery. South University Savannah NCCAA certification exam first time pass rate for the Classes of 2019, 2020, and 2021. Please follow the instructions to complete and submit the NSU supplemental application and fee by the specific deadline. Having sufficient knowledge, motor skill, and coordination to perform diagnostic and therapeutic tasks, including invasive procedures, on patients in a timely manner so as to insure the safety and well-being of the patients. Maintain an accredited program with an innovative curriculum that prepares entry-level graduates for the contemporary practice of medicine. Performing or assisting in the conduct of diagnostic laboratory and related studies as appropriate, such as drawing arterial and venous blood samples. AAs practice under the direction of a qualified anesthesiologist. 709 Mall Boulevard We have lots more on the site to show you. However, we strongly encourage students to take a majority of their specific science program pre-requisites at NSU to highlight their competency in these critical domains and maximize their long-term profile for future graduate/professional school candidacy. General biology (Full academic year) Labs preferred but not required, Cell & molecular biology, Anatomy and Physiology, General chemistry (Full academic year) Labs are required, Biochemistry (Junior 300 level) Labs preferred but not required, General physics (Full academic year) (Sophomore 200 level) Labs are required. Graduates of NSU's anesthesia master's program are highly sought . The mission of South Universitys Anesthesia Science (MMSc) degree program (Anesthesiologist Assistant Program program) is to prepare competent entry-level anesthesiologist assistants in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains who will practice in the anesthesia care team model. Assisting in the use of advanced life support techniques such as high frequency ventilation and intra-arterial cardiovascular assist devices. This school has been approved by the the American Academy of Anesthesiologist Assistants (AAAA). South University, Savannah developed a Master of Medical Science in Anesthesia Science to provide education in current practices in anesthesiology and instill the highest standards of professionalism and service to patients. In response, the AA program is waiving the verification of familiarity with the practice of anesthesia requirement for the 2020-2021 admission cycle. If you dont appreciate it or agree, we live in a free country, so just close the tab and move on with your life. South University works very close with the Mercer University School of Medicine to award the final Master of Medical Science in Anesthesia Science (MMSc) degree to all AA students at graduation. The Admissions Committee begins interviews as early as September of the preceding year. Should the curriculum depart from that published above, on the recommendation of the curriculum committee, the Council of Deans and the Council of Presidents before matriculation, a letter identifying the changes will be mailed to all students that have been accepted into the incoming class. It is advised that all applicants check with their schools directly to determine if they need the scores by a certain deadline date. South University reserves the right to grant a one year enrollment deferral for the AA program to an accepted student under the following conditions: Basic life support certification will be accomplished during Quarter I. Three letters of recommendation are required to be submitted as part of the CASAA application. You must maintain a 3.2 cumulative and science GPA. Effectively communicating verbally with patients and their family members and with other healthcare professionals. Training and supervising personnel in the calibration, trouble shooting and use of patient monitors. The CAAHEP has accredited the South University AA program. Although the requirement is waived, anesthesia shadowing hours are highly encouraged, and every effort should be made to obtain them safely. Note:The Master of Medical Science in Anesthesia Science Program at South University, Orlando has a site visit scheduled for pursuing initial accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org). A minimum GPA of 3.2 is preferred. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Subscribe to our private mailing list and get monthly updates for your career. GRE scores will be submitted electronically to the CASAA directly from ETS using the CASAA-school specific GRE code of 7450. I've learned through my work at SCDHEC, and in my MBA program and Pharmacy School at South University, is laying a firm foundation for my career as a pharmacist., The staff was the heart of my experience at South. Send official foreign transcript evaluations to CASAA and also electronically to electronictranscript@nova.edu or via U. S. mail to, Nova Southeastern University Attn: EPS P .O. All students must complete each course in the curriculum. 5. in Anesthesia Degree is 117 credit hours and is a 27-month program. Email Kandee Griffith, your Admissions Counselor, or call her at (904) 245-8913. Students should refer to their state licensing bodies for requirements for licensure. By : american pilots association; A day long orientation will be held the Friday before the formal start of class. Does the Anesthesiologist Assistant program require applicants to have a specific undergraduate major? south university anesthesiologist assistant admission requirements. The South University AA Program, located in Savannah Georgia, offers a Master of Medical Science in Anesthesia Science Program. *All minimum test scores must be achieved on the same test attempt (no superscoring). Transfer students are not eligible to apply to this Health and Medical Professions Dual Admission program. An official setof scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service in Princeton, NewJersey, to NSUs EPS. Become an Anesthesiologist Assistant: CAAHEP-Accredited A.A. - Hybrid, Doctor of Occupational Therapy (Dr.OT), Post-Professional, Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.) Building 101, Office 301. . Earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 overall and science GPA on a 4.0 scale, and provide official transcripts of all . Do you require the GRE or MCAT for admission? During clinical rotations, I was able to apply what I had learned and gain valuable patient experience that has helped me today. Submit a minimum ACT Assessment composite score of 17. The program will be reviewed by ARC-AA for reaccreditation by CAAHEP no later than 2027. Students may obtain instruction through the NSU Student Microcomputer Laboratory or other training facilities. The Florida NSU AA programs matriculate students each May. Any new activity found as a result of such background checks in violation with the College of Health Professions Background Check Policy may affect the student's status in the program and the student will be referred to the Progress and Promotions Committee. 15. On the application, applicants must self-report their MCAT score in the "Standardized Tests" section and include their AAMC identification number. Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant's prior academic performance, potential, character, work habits, and suitability for graduate study leading into a career in clinical practice. Once your CASAA application has been verified and received by Nova Southeastern University, a supplemental application will be made available online. All general admission requirement coursework presented below must be completed prior to matriculation into the South University Anesthesiologist Assistant program. South University has partnered with the Central Application Service for Anesthesiologist Assistant (CASAA) to collect and manage applications to the Anesthesiologist Assistant Program. Admission Requirements. South University Application Deadlines Early Decision: June Regular Deadline: February Address South University 709 Mall Boulevard Savannah, GA 31406 Telephone: (855) 884-2408 AA Program Accreditation The CAAHEP has accredited the South University AA program. NSU is excited to be the largest educator of Anesthesiologist Assistants in the country with four programs located in Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa and Jacksonville, Florida and Denver, Colorado . Review important information for the admissions process. While it is advantageous that entering students have some kind of direct patient care, applicants that meet the minimum requirement prior to submitting an application may be considered for admission. Demonstrate the fundamental skills necessary for safe and efficacious delivery of anesthesia to a wide variety of patient populations and surgical specialties. Medical College Admission Test scores may be submitted for consideration if completed within five years of the application. The information below outlines the items necessary to complete the application process: Complete the Common Anesthesiologist Assistant Application - CASAA -. 14 Jun. Is a certain amount of health care experience required? A statement from a qualified physician describing any emotional or physical illnesses suffered by the applicant during the preceding five years, or certifying freedom from such illnesses (International Students only). Students will have the opportunity to learn to provide safe and efficacious anesthesia care to patients of all ages and degrees of illness for a complete range of surgical procedures. In the meantime, you can view some of our FAQs, If you want to talk to an admissions representative ASAP, please contact us at 1-888-444-3404. Click to schedule a visit. Due to the volume of applications received, the program has standardized the evaluation process to be both comprehensive and fair. Students finish a four-year undergraduate major and are awarded a bachelors degree before starting the anesthesia program. Applicants who are accepted into the Anesthesiologist Assistant Program must complete a drug screen at his/her own cost using the agency identified by the AA Program Director. The rigorous nature of the coursework prepared me well for the boards and the ability to be successful in my career. The applicant's name, date of birth, and AAMC identification number must match the same information listed on his or her MCAT exam. University of Missouri-Kansas CityKansas City, MO. It is the student's responsibility to keep these records complete and up to date. Students will be required to submit additional drug and alcohol screens throughout their enrollment, based on reasonable suspicion and as needed for clinical site placements. South University Savannah graduation rate for the Classes of 2019, 2020, and 2021. During clinical rotations, I was able to apply what I had learned and gain valuable patient experience that has helped me today. Documentation of this insurance coverage must be stored and maintained in the student's compliance tracking account selected by the program. If the applicant's information listed on the MCAT exam does not match the information listed on the CASAA, the scores will not post automatically to the applicant's account. Provide evidence of completion of an associate degree or above from an accredited institution with a minimum cumulative grade point . Once NSU approves your completed CASAA application, youll then get a link to the supplemental NSU application. The number of courses, level of courses, and performance are important considerations. Failure to successfully master the exam will result in remediation and necessary extension of the student's program by at least one Quarter. Admission & Graduation Requirements Programmatic Effectiveness Frequently Asked Questions Accepted Student Information About Us Learning Curriculum Resources Quick Program Details Tuition: $1,027 Per Credit Hour Next Start: June 5, 2023 (Auburn Campus) Time to Complete: 2.5 years Contact Us Follow Follow What Makes Us Different? By official request, special arrangements will be made for students who have religious obligations that may conflict with educational program activities. No other background checks will be accepted. South University-Savannah has financial aid counselors available to assist the students in finding adequate sources of financing during a students enrollment. Please note,applications cannot be reviewed until both the CASAA and the NSU supplemental application has been completed and received. Other than the South University AA program, there are currently 11 other anesthesia assistant programs in 9 U.S. States. AAs are permitted to perform regional anesthesia techniques. The Anesthesiologist Assistant program at South University is distinguished among Anesthesiologist Assistant programs by a tight temporal coupling between theoretical knowledge presented in the classroom and practical applications of that knowledge. Minimum clinical experience: 675 hours (anesthesia rotations in hospital), Minimum clinical experience: 356 hours (anesthesia rotations in hospital). Practice effective verbal and written communication skills needed to be an effective member of the Anesthesia Care Team. When does the program start each year? University of South Carolina Physician Assistant Program Admissions Committee will review and score all applications meeting our minimum requirements. on-campus, virtual instructions and online courses. Students applying for dual admission must interview during Shark Preview Weekend, an exclusive admitted student event. * Not all programs at campuses are offered Online. In addition to the General Admission Requirements (above) and the first three requirements of this section, the applicant who has been graduated from a college or university of a country for which English is not the primary language regardless of United States' residency status must do the following: The student has accepted a class position within the allotted time period and submitted the required deposit but has not yet begun the 1st quarter of enrollment. They were so accessible and I was able to have such a close relationship with themthat made me very comfortable and prepared me for my clinical year. Applicants are required to take either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test or the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). This dual admission program is ONLY for first-time in college students, although college credits earned through advanced high school program may apply ( see transfer credits through high school section below). Men The Nurse Anesthesiology Major requires one letter from each of the following: current nursing supervisor, CRNA or physician anesthesiologist, current or prior nursing faculty. In response, the AA program is waiving the verification of familiarity with the practice of anesthesia requirement for the 2020-2021 admission cycle. I liked the idea of having a faculty member mentor to guide a smaller group of students throughout the entire program. Depending upon state laws, an anesthesiologist may supervise up to four anesthetizing locations staffed by any combination of anesthesiologist assistants and nurse anesthetists. Learn more about federal financial aid and the FAFSA with these 9 fast facts. After earning his degree, Marcus excelled as a PTA and grew his career to include management responsibilities. Doctor of Speech-Language Pathology, S.L.P.D. A course by course with GPA calculation official transcript evaluation is required. Prior to matriculation, each person accepted into the Anesthesiologist Assistant program must provide an official transcript indicating degree conferred and show completion of all required course work. South University Savannah NCCAA certification exam overall pass rate for 17 years since program inception in 2004. Although the reputation of SU isnt perfect (as it is considered a for-profit school by the US Department of education) the statistics of the AA program speak for themselves. Please note, Discover our Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Pre-Anesthesiologist Assistant Studies, Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Pre-Anesthesiologist Assistant Studies, National Credentialing Examination Performance, Only program in the U.S. with four high-fidelity anesthesia simulators, Two fully functional operating rooms with high-fidelity simulation training, Adult and pediatric human patient simulators, Dedicated course and lab in regional anesthesia techniques. Assisting in the application and interpretation of advanced monitoring techniques such as pulmonary artery catheterization, electroencephalographic spectral analysis, echocardiography and evoked potentials. A Comprehensive Examination covering the material from the first five quarters will be administered to determine the preparedness of each student to advance to senior clinical year. Dual Admission is just one of NSUs distinctive Premier Programs. Last date for prerequisite transcripts to be received for August 2022 incoming class: July 15, 2022. Yes. The rigorous nature of the coursework prepared me well for the boards and the ability to be successful in my career. We applaud our alumni and the difference they make. The dates for early application submissions and final application deadlines for each South University Anesthesiologist Assistant program are posted on the programs' websites and updated annually. The Dual Admission Anesthesia program can be completed in a total ofsix years and three months (4+27). The program must receive an official score report directly from Educational Testing Services, Princeton, NJ. * Basic Life Support Certification and Advanced Cardiac Lifesaving will be obtained during this semester, Minimum clinical experience: 150 hours (anesthesia rotations in hospital), Minimum clinical experience: 144 hours (anesthesia rotations in hospital). Students entering senior year may be required to obtain an updated current history, physical examination, background check and drug screen depending on the rotation site.