She confessed no one had asked her that before and noted that Reed's legacy was how she was a part of the American heritage because of her acting roles. It took work for her to get the role she had been waiting for. The young Owen went on to describe how her mother decided to pave her path and began to work with her husband, Tony Owen, to create her show. September 19, 1965 - May 1, 2016. It was a great experience for her and a good transition from the show to using her Hollywood power and giving something back., In a 1971 interview with The Los Angeles Times, Donna related how, despite being a lifelong Republication, she had gotten turned off by President Johnson and the bombing of Vietnam. Even though she was a mother and there was a lot of that that was drawn from her own life, she was also quite different from that character in a lot of ways. Says Mary Anne, She and my father kind of climbed this mountain together doing the show, and then she really blossomed doing the anti-war work and really became a liberal. Geneastars | Facebook. There was even one about a lady bullfighter.. I feel like shes a part of our heritage. For eight season. Donna Reed was born in IA. The late star's daughter said her mother was also part of television's Golden Age. contains thousands of pictures and GeneaStars. M*A*S*Hs Mike Farrell Became Wife Shelley Fabares Full-Time Caregiver & Nursed Her Back to Fulfilling Life, Michael J Fox Was Isolating Himself From Wife of 34 Years & Kids - She Helped Him to Become Part Of Family Again, Betty White Wed 'Wonderful Man' Who Wanted Her to Quit Her Career He Married Another Actress after Their Divorce, Cameron Diaz Had Her Daughter at 47 After Nothing Worked Out - She Thought She Would Be a Mom of 2 by 21, 'The Book of Boba Fett's' Ming-Na Wen Is a Mom of 2 - Her Carbon Copy Daughter Michaela Zee Is a Talented Actress & Writer, Julie Andrews Misses Her Husband 'like Crazy' after Trying to Save Him from the 'Monster' of Self-Medication, Penny Marshall Gave Birth at 19 - Her Husband Wanted a Baby Boy While Her Mother Hid the Childs Real Age, Debra Winger Still Saves White Dress from 1st Wedding as It Felt 'Electrifying' Wearing It for Her 2nd Husband, Roseanne Barr Is a Doting Mom & Grandma to Her 5 Look-Alike Kids & 6 Grandchildren, Marlo Thomas Spouse Was a Virgin before Marriage to Mom of His 5 Kids & a Lousy Lover Afterward, Valerie Bertinelli Filed for Divorce from Husband of 10 Years Even Though He 'Loved Her No Matter What', Inside Donna Mills' 'Forever' Home Where She Raised Her Daughter While Being a 'One-Man Woman', Websters Susan Clark & Alex Karras 32-Year Marriage after Susan Made Alex an Ultimatum about His Wife, Mariska Hargitay Has 5 Siblings Jayne Mansfield & Mickey Harigtay's Kids Including Their Namesakes. gnalogique Dowling avec plus d'un demi-million de parents, The "Wonderful Life" star only became a mother when she married Tony, her second husband. Again, almost like out of a fan magazine of the 30s, an MGM talent scout saw her in a play at Los Angeles City College and she got signed to a small MGM contract., One of Donnas four children is Mary Anne Owen, who muses in an exclusive interview, I always feel that people dont understand how intelligent she was and how she easily could have been a college professor if she hadnt won that beauty contest at City College. Its a Wonderful Life is a well-known classic that is aired on NBC around Christmastime every year, specifically on Christmas Eve. In late 1985, the actress was sadly diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. contient des milliers de photos et GeneaStars. Get a complete background report of Donna Reed at LocatePeople with phone, address, email, criminal, court and arrest records. We hope you enjoy it! She started off playing uncredited roles in films like Convicted Woman (1940), The Get-Away (1941), Babes on Broadway (1941) and Personalities (1942). Please fill in your e-mail so we can share with you our top stories! While the plot of the film touches audiences now, it didnt back then. The Donna Reed Foundation for the Performing Arts: Created to honor her accomplishments and keep her dream alive by recognizing, encouraging, and supporting talented individuals pursuing an education and career in the performing arts. Donna Reed, Marriage & Family Therapist, Sacramento, CA, 95816, (916) 436-8348, I understand the reluctance many clients may feel when dealing with personal issues and relationships in a . I dont mean she was the center. In 1958, though, Donna didnt seem too worried. Thats what MGM looked for and they found that in spades in Donna Reed. When is Donna Reeds birthday? The From Here to Eternity alum was married to her first spouse, William Tuttle, for two years from 1943 to 1945, but they held off from having any children. Donna Reed was born in the midwestern town of Denison, Iowa, on January 27, 1921, as Donna Belle Mullenger. She worked extensively in television, notably as Donna Stone, an American middle class mother in the sitcom The Donna Reed Show (19581966), in which she played a more prominent role than many other television mothers of the era and for which she received the 1963 Golden Globe Award for Best TV Star Female. She was interesting to me, too, because she took control of her own destiny. Closer Weekly is part of the a360media Entertainment Group.Copyright a360media 2023. Reed said she and Tony had different temperaments and that she'd stayed for all those 26 years because of the children. James Stewart maintained a 50-year friendship with actor Henry Fonda. If there were a choice in a scene, she would choose the dramatic version versus the comedic", Actress Donna Reed smiles as she attends an event in Los Angeles, California. There does not seem to be this huge traumatic bad event that forced her to get out there and be a success because of fill in the blank. They just didnt know what to do with her. Eva Perez Suarez - Eva Mendes' Mother the Star Calls 'Coolest of the Cools', Redmond Gerard's Siblings are Talented in Their Own Ways, Doris Day Died without Right People near Her She Lived Alone for 39 Years in her $7M Home & Worked Out Every Day, Robert Reed Was a Doting Father He Refused Visitors except for His Daughter & Friend before His Death, Ron Howard Was Most Concerned about His Kids' Values Inside His Decision to Protect Them, Marlo Thomas's Husband of 41 Years Already Had 5 Kids So She Decided Not to Try to Become a Mother. Do we really need to go over the plot? This curated image gallery will showcase some of the sexiest donna reed bikini pictures that will. It ran from 1958 to 1966 and enjoyed a very big fan base. And thats what they did around the holidays. But at the American Film Institute life achievement for Frank Capra, a lot of my students were there and one, who, by the way, is a big writer in Hollywood now, came up to Donna Reed and said, I cant tell you how hard youve made it for every female that I ever meet in my life. She was so thrilled, she kissed him. Donna Joyce Reed, 76, a 20-year resident of Whidbey Island, died July 19, 2005 at Whidbey General Hospital. Both were born and raised in Iowa. See GMA Host Lara Spencers Bikini Photos, Having Fun at the Beach! We won't post to any of your accounts without asking first. You have to decide which is worse. Donna Belle Mullenger. He believes that the world would be better off without him and his guardian angel, Clarence, gives him the opportunity to see what life would really be like for others with George not being around. The Donna Reed Show featured her as the good wife Donna Stone and explored the family dynamic that was so popular back in that era. It was a lot of pressure, [but] she took it seriously and didnt want to just play for laughs. Her parts got larger and she became a movie star. The Donna Reed Show Season 3 (40) 7.4 1961 TV-PG Originally airing from 1958-1966, The Donna Reed Show became one of the most popular family situation comedy series in television history during its eight season run. However, the flop of the film actually caused James Stewart (who played George Bailey) to never want to work with co-star Donna Reed again. According to Mary-Anne, the pair spent a lot of time traveling together, and this time it wasn't work-related, so it excited her. With its large, loud protagonist and her messy family life, ''Maude'' was presented as a realistic contrast to the perfection of such TV mothers as Donna Reed and Harriet Nelson. We are all related! The organization is non-partisan it supports no political party, but urges members to support peace candidates of their own choice. Donna Reed was born in the Year of the Rooster. Here's What Happened to 'The Donna Reed Show' Star Carl Betz, Exclusive: The Truth About Donna Reed Revealed by Her Daughter, Your Guide to 101 Classic TV Shows of the 1950s, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Out for a Swim! Closer Weekly is part of the a360media Entertainment Group.Copyright a360media 2023. She took a chance, says Geoffrey, and she allowed herself to break the mold to get out of being typecast. And behind the scenes, she had to walk a line, because she was simultaneously Paul Petersen and Shelley Fabares boss and playing their mother while at the same time having another family she had to deal with at home. It also works toward supporting a performing arts center, full film archive, a museum, and professional studio facilities dedicated to developing new artists. It might get labeled sentimental, whatever, but it doesnt actually go away, and this film has that, and because it comes wrapped in a lot of great humor, with some really great people playing in every single role, it connects.. AmoMama creates engaging, meaningful content for women. Donna Marie Reed, of Monroe, Louisiana, passed away with family by her side on Tuesday, January 10, 2023, at the age of 75. One of Donna's four children is Mary Anne Owen, who muses in an exclusive interview, "I always feel that people don't understand how intelligent she was and how she easily could have been a. Full Real Name. Donna Reed poses for her first sitting portrait in 1941 | Photo: John Springer Collection/CORBIS/Getty Images. From 1943 to 1945, Reed was married to make up artist William Tuttle. I thought, This is my time with Mom, not yours.'. The Dowling Family Tree with over half a million relatives, This page is updated often with latest details about Donna Reed. Her death came 13 days before she would have celebrated her 65th birthday. I mean, they hired Ida Lupino to direct a couple of episodes, and I think because mom grew up on a farm there was really no distinction between the work of boys and girls unless it was just impossible for a girl to do it. Daughter of William Richard Mullenger and Hazel Jane Mullenger And for Donna, the end was welcomed. And at about the same age, around 40, they made this switch from feature films to television and found an even larger success. She was such a strong woman. Nationality. However, the actress wasn't happy in the marriage and ended up with another man. Donna Reed, better known by her family name Donna Reed, was a popular American film and television actress (1921-1986). Please enable JavaScript in your browser's settings to use this part of Geni. Harry Flynn, the family's spokesman, revealed that Reed's third and last husband was by her side when she died. Generation also known as The Greatest Generation. She made her screen debut in The Getaway (1941), followed by supporting roles in Apache Trail (1942), Gentle Annie (1944), They Were Expendable (1945),. Donna Reed played the girl-next-door character Mary Hatch, married to George Bailey, who was played by Jimmy Stewart. It really is. She was the oldest of five children. We collect and tell stories of people from all around the world. LocatePeople.org. The State Historical Society of Iowa presents a webinar featuring rarely seen family photos shared by Donna's daughter, Mary Owen, and Donna Reed . But now I love the work, love the pace and love the results., Opines David C. Tucker, author of The Women Who Made Television Funny: Ten Stars of 1950s Sitcoms, The two things Donna is best known for is Its a Wonderful Life and The Donna Reed Show. Another film comes to mind with the same kind of history, which isThe Wizard of Oz. Donna Belle Mullenger is part of G.I. Also, I believe that of all the major movie studios of the Golden Age, MGM really and truly trained their young people better. Whats ironic is that when it was originally released, it actually failed to connect with the audience which seems unfathomable to people today, but its the fact. $4.99. The non-profit organization, which was created after his moms death, grants scholarships to performing arts students and much more. Well, we depart from that. I mean, she was only 25 and I think she signed her MGM contract at 21. After falling in love with Tony, a former agent and producer, the couple tied the knot in 1945. In the 1950s, Reed had established herself as one of the big names in acting. She just fit the MGM prototype, he says, of the not-too-tall, beautiful Midwestern Protestant girl next door. I think maybe some people just dont realize that there was such a great intelligence there. In the words of her family, she was "the most selfless person ever. Well, the camera loved Donna Reed. I mean, she passed away in 86, but by the early 80s it was on constantly, but we always watched at Christmas and she was so happy that it was so popular., Of the films ultimate impact on Donna Reed, Jeanine muses, Donna Reed became a big TV star, and she became an Oscar-winning movie star. Soon after she signed a long-term contract with Columbia where she made a string of 'B' pictures. Donna Reed could be seen as a disrupter in the 1950s and 60s. She played what people thought was a very stereotypical character, but this was a woman who wasnt quite happy with the way her career was going and decided to go into television and was ultimately able to find something more satisfying than some of the movie roles she played., It would all come to an end in 1966 after eight seasons and 275 episodes. Well try to avoid the tears and the speeches, but there may be some. . Donna is survived by a daughter, Ami L. Gelbaugh and husband Daniel, sons, Jeffery A. Reed and wife Epi, William M. Reed and wife Amy, a brother, William C. Dunn and wife Jean,. This generation experienced much of their youth during the Great Depression and rapid technological innovation such as the radio and the telephone. Donna Reed on a shoot for "The Donna Reed Show" on June 2, 1961 | Photo: ABC Photo Archives/Disney General Entertainment Content/Getty Images. Donna Reed was born on the 27th January 1921 in Denison, Iowa USA, and was an actress. Donna and Tonys fourth child is Penny Jane. "She decided to do a family show after she and . They seldom rely on other people in daily life, which can make them impatient when dealing with others. Reflecting on that period, the star's daughter, Mary Anne Owen, also expressed her confusion in a recent interview with "Closer Weekly." However, they called it quits in 1971. The late Donna Reed was once married to Tony Reed, and together they had four children. For Paul Petersen, that was Oscar winner Donna Reed, matriarch from "The Donna Reed Show.". It wasnt always easy., But whatever the challenges, Donna took them in stride. Early to bed and early to rise is routine when youre doing a TV series as well as on the farm. Donna Reed received an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1954 for the film From Here to Eternity. From 1963 until 1966, Patti played the role of Tricia Stone, the adopted daughter of Donna and Alex Stone, in 99 episodes of The Donna Reed Show.She was only eight years old when she joined her big brother Paul as a member of the cast of the popular series. Her fresh-faced, farm girl beauty was captivating, and she was crowned Campus Queen. Her career spanned more than 40 years with performances in more than 40 films. As the war continued, she said, I sat and suffered silently, but felt absolutely paralyzed, except for voting. The TV show was just incredibly rigorous and they couldnt make it work anymore. Donna Reed (January 27, 1921 - January 14, 1986) was an American film and television actress and producer. The Donna Reed Syndrome High pressure, demanding bosses, cutthroat politics -- boy, it's hard work staying at home By Lonnae O'Neal Parker May 12, 2002 I can't recall what kept me late that. We start shooting at nine each morning. Donna Reed was 25 years old at the time of filming It's a Wonderful Life. A doctor cant close the door the moment he leaves his office. The "From Here to Eternity" star explained that it had "always a difficult marriage.". She just dove headfirst into that, because they rented a warehouse in Beverly Hills which was this huge place. When I watch The Donna Reed Show, I always see this kind of underlying subtext of her finally in control of her career and not having to worry about what bra she had to wear. The gorgeous pinup had cherished and saved the letters. See Her Beautiful Bikini Photos, Inside Dr. Phil and Wife Robin McGraw's Sprawling Beverly Hills Home, Headed to the Beach! Some of them even have the same first name; thats how cookie-cutter they were., Laughs Mary Anne, You know, they say theres some kind of curse when you win the Supporting Actress Oscar, that its downhill from there. Free shipping. Bruce Willis Is Surrounded by Love and Family Amid Dementia Battle, Bruce Willis Family Is Heartbroken After His Dementia Diagnosis, Sailor Brinkley Cook Is Excited About Being Part of the Next Generation, Sean Kanan Suffered Scary Emergency on The Karate Kid III Set, Sailor Brinkley Cook Says Mom Christie Brinkley Is a Big Inspiration, Cary Grants Best Quality Was His Humility, Wife Barbara Jaynes Says, The Reason Why Acting Icon Estelle Parsons Agreed to Star on 'Roseanne'. Because, you know, that was always the big question., Although Donna would make a number of films throughout the rest of the 1950s, in 1954 she first appeared on television in the anthology Ford Television Theatre, followed in 1955 with Tales of Hans Christian Anderson and 1957 in General Electric Theater and Suspicion. Well, they made sure that the character of Donna Stone was intelligent, educated, adored her husband and gladly suffered the eccentricities of her children., While researching being a wife of a pediatrician, Donna told the media, I discovered that being a mother and married to a doctor has more complications than a case of the mumps. And while James Stewart is a wonderful actor, as are all of the actors in Its a Wonderful Life, it is my belief that Donna was the heart of the movie. Based in Denison, Iowa, the Donna Reed Foundation operates to recognize, encourage, and support talent through national, state, and local scholarships, conduct workshops taught by outstanding industry professionals from across the country, and promote stage plays, concerts, and other cultural activities throughout the year. Donna Reed (January 27, 1921 January 14, 1986) was an American film and television actress and producer. Back the early 2,000 B.C. The Donna Reed Show . She grew up on a farm in Iowa and used her farm knowledge to her advantage. Donna reed was born in the midwestern town of denison iowa on january 27 1921 as donna belle mullenger. Sadly, Donna died at age 64 following a short battle with pancreatic cancer in January 1986. We collect and tell stories of people from all around the world. I kept yearning for those good old lazy times in motion pictures. It loved how she looked, but also loved what she radiated. Donna Reeds mothers name is unknown at this time and her fathers name is under review. People born under this sign are honest, observant and hardworking. I mean she was the heart. Deceased persons are not concerned by this provision. It literally changed her life., Geoffrey expresses that he doesnt know what would have happened to Donna Reed if shed been at any other studio than MGM. Actress Donna Reed served as the leading lady opposite Stewart in "It's a Wonderful Life" as Mary Hatch and the pair naturally delivered a believable, astonishing performance. Generation. Reed was initially married to William Tuttle from 1943 to 1945, and they held off from having any children. Like his sister Mary, Timothy also pursued a career in Hollywood. How does she manage to raise her children, be a doctors wife, be a credit to him in the community and do all the charity work a doctors wife was supposed to do? Donna Reed Wiki Biography. Be sure to check out and subscribe to our Classic TV & Film Podcast for interviews with your favorite stars! We will continue to update information on Donna Reeds parents. It might become unfashionable. At age 17, she left Denison by train for Los Angeles to complete her formal education and to pursue her dream of becoming an actress. People may or may not watch From Here to Eternity, but they are watching this movie. gnalogique Dowling avec plus d'un demi-million de parents, But the situation was really worsening. Salma Hayeks Best Bikini Photos, Pink Is a Total Rockstar! Donna Reed (born Donna Belle Mullenger; January 27, 1921 - January 14, 1986) was an American actress. Her countless movies include for example The Courtship of Andy Hardy, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and From Here to Eternity. James Stewart maintained a 50-year friendship with actor Henry Fonda. You see, Im hopeful that there are lots of people in this country who will tune in a good series of family life, regardless of what else may happen to be on the air, she said. We were like a new family on the block. Our plots revolve around the most important thing in Americaa loving family." In the show, Reed's character, Donna Stone, is a loving mother and wife, but . Pixabay. It may not sound ground-breaking, but it was. She was so happy that it was so popular.. Though "The Donna Reed Show," which originally aired from 1958 to 1966 on ABC, was a perennial favorite in reruns (Nick at Night ran it for nine years, longer than its network lifespan), it disappeared abruptly during legal wrangling over ownership of the rights. They were good films in the moment, but nothing special. And shes lovely. Barbara was having a party or social event and they just kind of looked at each other and said, You know, weve got to do something. So they got involved with the organization; I think mom at some point might have been a co-chair. Linked to: Timothy Michael Dowling, 11th cousin, {{ mediasCtrl.getTitle(media, true) }} Observes Geoffrey, It took her literally about a year and a half before she begins to get speaking roles and the public began to realize, This is someone I like watching, and they began growing the Donna Reed brand. For the purpose of clarification in this thesis, when referencing the actress Donna Reed, I call her Reed, and when I am referring to the character Donna Stone, I call . Shes strong and steadfast; shes the glue that holds the family together., Elaborates Mary Anne, She was interested, again, because it was another family show and she thought thats why it was so popular. She said, " she took it seriously and didnt want to just play for laughs. Donna Reed was born in 1920s. She played the role of Mary. It loved how she looked, but also loved what she radiated. But it was in 1958 that she made her TV series debut in The Donna Reed Show. It's A Wonderful Life (1946) VHS James Stewart, Donna Reed - Christmas Family. It was always a difficult marriage. Her career spanned more than 40 years, with performances in more than 40 films. Donna is survived by her sons Maurice (Melissa) McCall, James (Annette) Sims III, Jermaine (Anita) Sims and goddaughter LaNayla Holt. Fact Check: We strive for accuracy and fairness. He thought it was too frivolous, but Lionel Barrymore (Mr. Potter) and others talked him into it., She continues, So, there was this insecurity on the set and mom was really not that well known. The strengths of this sign are being independent, original, while the weaknesses can be running from emotional expression, temperamental and uncompromising. She was born in Denison, Iowa on 1921-01-27. Penny Jane was often spotted out with her mom when she was a child, but shes seemingly slipped out of the spotlight since. Kim Reynolds declared Jan. 27 "Donna Reed Day." She was born Donna Belle Mullenger on a farm about 6 miles southeast of Denison, Iowa, on Jan. 27, 1921, the oldest of five . Later in Reed's career she replaced Barbara Bel Geddes as Miss Ellie Ewing in the 198485 season of the television melodrama, Dallas, and sued the production company for breach of contract when she was abruptly fired upon Bel Geddes' decision to return to the show. If there was a choice in a scene, she would choose the dramatic version versus the comedic. Dwelling Type: Single Family Dwelling Unit; Length of Residence: 13 years; Median Home Value: $1,805,000; Median Household Income: $625,000; She was able to play all kinds of parts, although, like June Allison, she often played the goody-goody girl next door, but no matter what she played, she was able to project a warmth that was very appealing. We believe that every person's story is important as it provides our community with an opportunity to feel a sense of belonging, share their hopes and dreams. I could have played a lady race track tout. Everyone participated in the war effort, but especially those two and they were gone from Hollywood for four or five years. Donnas corn-is-as-high-as-an-elephants-eye childhood from Dennison, Iowa, a little town, near a river as a farm girl, he continues. Timmie had to read and try to understand all the stories on the front page of our newspaper. He didnt change and neither did I. We believe that every person's story is important as it provides our community with an opportunity to feel a sense of belonging, share their hopes and dreams. Celebrate the life (1921-1986) and enduring legacy of the Oscar-winning actress Donna Reed, who was born 100 years ago in Denison, Iowa. James Marlind Whiteside James Marlind Whiteside James Marlind Whiteside, 86, West Plains, Missouri, passed away at 8:30 p.m., Saturday, February 25, 2023, at his home. He blamed her, because she wasnt as well known. Someone suggested a show about an elevator operator in the Empire State Building with a new episode on every floor. Donna and Tonys son Tony Jr. adored his moms work as an actress, but he didnt have dreams to pave a career in Hollywood. Im glad that its over. Even though he had a brief stint on his moms series The Donna Reed Show, Tony Jr. went on to become a community college teacher in Los Angeles. A small town - a population of less than 3,000 people - Denison was located by the Boyer River, and was the county seat of Crawford County. So there, states Geoffrey, we have it where there are very few men actually working during World War II, but all these females are getting themselves to the top. Who are the richest people in the world? After leaving MGM Donna concentrated on her growing family, three children with Owen by 1948, before a fourth child would make up the family. And Donna had a wonderful quality about her as an actor. Nous sommes tous Dowling Mary Owen, the daughter of Hollywood star Donna Reed, reflects on the legacy of the iconic holiday classic film and how the actress stayed connected to our American troops during WWII. $5.49. See GMA Host Lara Spencers Bikini Photos, Having Fun at the Beach! Donna Reed net worth is. While most of us will be remembering mothers on May 10 this year, entertainers who worked as child actors in television sitcoms may also have special memories of their 'TV mom.'. 661 2 minutes read. To me, Mom was Donna Owen, schlepping the kids around., Because Tony Jr. was so accustomed to the normal life Donna strived to give her kids, he used to dislike when his family was photographed while out and about. Im up each day at seven a.m. in order to have one-and-a-half hours for hairdressing and makeup. Donna Jean Reed, 81, of Clinton, Iowa, passed away Sunday, January 8, 2023 at the Alverno, Clinton. Donna Reeds birth sign is Aquarius and she had a ruling planet of Uranus. Advertisement In this Guideposts Classic from September 1962, beloved actress Donna Reed shares how her father's courage and strength taught her to rely on God. However, the actress wasn't happy in the marriage and ended up with another man. For a lot of families, its tradition to watch this movie each holiday season, but did you know it actually flopped in theatres upon its release? Free shipping. The backstory of this 1946 Christmas classic is World War II, just over and still haunting its cast. Once more details are available, we will update this section. By Joan Tupponce. He blamed her, because she wasnt as well known. Please check back soon for updates. I mean, youre talking about somebody who later in life, after her children were mostly grown and out of the house, divorced, which you cant quite imagine Donna Stone ever doing. By clicking Sign Up, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and that you have read our Privacy Policy. Reed, who most famously played Mary Bailey in the 1946 Christmas classic "It's a Wonderful Life," and then went on to star in her own black-and-white TV sitcom through the mid-1960s, died in . She was born Donna Belle Mullenger on January 27, 1921, in Dennison, Iowa and raised on a farm by her parents Jazel Jane Shives and William Richard Mullenger. Its a Wonderful Lifeis a perfect film, beautifully written, perfectly cast, perfectly directed, incredible cinematography, but when it was released, it was a not a big hit. TV had lots of family sitcoms in the late 50s and 60s, but 'The Donna Reed Show' (1958) broke new ground: the show centered around the Mom. She didnt have my father to protect her and the business had become a different kind of business and they did not treat her with any kind of respect., Sadly, toward the end of 1985, Donna was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.