There's really not all that much to it. Let's just hope it doesn't rain or snow, too. Located along the Chunky River, Dunns Falls was developed in the 1850s. Top the bologna with the cheese while still warm and put the sandwich together. According to Fashionista, the acidity in tomatoes can help balance . They shake their heads and warn you, "Never put ketchup on a hot dog!". My oldest sister used to make them for me. That was good eating for us kids living in Southern West VA. oh yea, we used to eat fried bologna all the time. marana middle school sports June 29, 2022. Melt some butter in a skillet and place the bologna slice in the hot butter. I have no interest in it. Develop the tech skills you need for work and life. directions Heat oil over med-high heat in frying pan. Make a paste of ketchup and two pieces of white bread or hot dog bun. Top the bologna with the cheese while still warm and put the sandwich together. Of course, I grew up in Kentucky. SO GOOD! We liked the way they curled, and called them Mexican hats plenty of mustard, on bread or an egg with cheese on bread. I remember the time when ketchup and mayoon white bread were mixed in, as some had mentioned. Dented. Just plain yellow Frenchs on plain white bread. The Fried Bologna Sandwich Is A Southern Classic. Now I make them by nuking them in the microwave. Unless somehow I could be transported back in time and be a little girl and my mommy would make me one for a quick lunch, that one I would eat happily. That's because, according to todayshomeowner.com, they have vertical branches rather than wide ones. Towns you should visit if you love the arts, 5 charming towns to add to your bucket list. -- Deborah Mills Scalf, "When we were kids my cousin loved peanut butter, ketchup and bologna sandwiches! This story is presented by Visit Mississippi. In summary: it's a bit weird, especially so if you're holding your sandwiches to high standards, but like all things in cooking it ultimately comes down to taste. Definetly worth the happy dance :shimmy: They all sound so good we had them with toast and ketchup cheese was optional lol. We ate fried bologna sandwiches in Indiana too. The bologna sandwich is a classic. Wed sit and watch Mr Rogers and eat it. I used to love provolone on em, lay it on top just as the bologna was almost ready to take off the heat. While some people swear by the savory-sweet flavor of ketchup on their sandwiches, others are strictly opposed to the idea. From 5th to 8th grade I went to a small parochial school. Havent had baloney in forever, although I fry up Spam once in a while. I perfer a good chipped ham, or sliced roast. Place bologna in pan and cook until brown, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Fried stuff (hot or otherwise), like a bacon sandwich or a sausage and egg sandwich: go ahead. Just do it. Leashed dogs are allowed on the trail, but be careful you might run into an alligator! If he puts ketchup on ham, its just gross because were all stars right now in the show. Most days it was bologna and cheese (cus it was cheap). A liverwurst and cream cheese sandwich topped with ketchup is also a good option. Whether served straight from the fridge on white bread with yellow mustard, or fried until crispy and covered with a layer of gooey cheese, one bite of this beloved sandwich meat will give you a hit of nostalgia. Use multi-colored toothpicks to serve cocktail wieners. ha! Replace your other favorite red sauce by tossing ketchup with buttered pasta (or pouring over macaroni and cheese or fried rice). My sandwich grill is about 40 years old. What my mother made that I loved was hot dogs, sliced lengthwise & opened, topped with mashed potatoes (out of a box) and sour cream, then put under the broiler! "If you're lucky enough to have a German butcher store in your area, I'd suggest going for the couple of extra bucks instead of using bologna from the grocery store," says LINDA MCLEAN about this chopped bologna sandwich recipe. Never had one, gonna try it real soon. Nasty! MMmmmmmmmmmmmm.. Oh, and Mayo, yep. Basically, if a dish is savory and/or deep-fried, there is a strong chance it will taste fantastic dunked in Indian ketchup. This is basically because it contains elements of all five tastes; saltiness, sweetness, bitterness, sourness, and umami. Somtimes vandalism comes down to a simple bang to the body work. What can I say, when you grow up poor or live in the country, its a family favorite. This simple method keeps the bologna nice and flat (without cutting) while cooking. Using a fist or a wrench or a can of Pepsi . Prepare Bread: Brush the side of the bread with butter and place facing down in the skillet. Im buying bologna tomorrow. 1/2 cup chopped onion. . You definitely have to have the fried egg and a big ole slice of homegrown tomato!!!! My family likes it. :purpleflower: Love, love, love them! Plain, please. Yes, although most deli meats taste good cold it depends on your personal preference. 5. What went on them varied, depending on the stash of little packets. I tried it and loved it." Another Upstate NY bologna fan. Now there is a sandwich to die for. "Construction Site: Spring Delight" has everything you could want in a charming children's book about spring -- fun rhymes, colorful illustrations, adorable characters and lift-a-flap surprises! Awesome! I've never tried it, but I think it's super weird." It's so nasty, I can't watch him eat it." My mother never made this, but my best friend around the corners mother did. Creamy, tangy, and meaty, what's not to love? My husband ( a hmmmm, Texan) , had never had one until he married me . 2023 Haven Hill Cuisine. When I was young there was a place in N.C. where you could buy them at a sort of dumpy place in a bad part of town but man they were great. Cut two Pac-Man shaped triangle in a slice of bologna or make two slits on each side of the bologna (optional). She will take pretzels and dip them in marshmallow fluff then mustard. Loved them! -- Leslie Evans Chancey, "My dad use to eat Collard green and sliced onion sandwiches slathered with mayo." I love thin balogna rolled up with mustard, but never thought of frying it. Gourmet fried bologna. Yummmmmm! When my mom was little during the depression Grandma would give them a dime to go to the store and buy a loaf of bread and some bologna for lunch when she was at work, they would buy ice cream and cookies instead, Grandma never new ! Now I think I need to go to the store and get bologna and fry some up for dinner! Ate plenty of those while growing up in WV. The park also offers hiking trails and a disc golf course. Its super tasty! Mortadella, much like bologna, is made from finely ground pork meat. I also grew up eating fried bologna sandwiches. It was fried liver sausage (braunschweiger) on white bread slathered with lots of butter and yellow mustard at our house. I just had cheese and ketchup on white bread with the fried bologna. In fact, bologna is the great-great grandson of the Italian's mortadella. Fried Bologna and hominy, never will eat them againgross. As an adult, I now raise my eyebrows and scrunch my nose when I eat one. The trees were introduced to American suburbs in the 1960s because they could grow in so many places, aren't too bad to look at, and were pretty resistant to disease. With cheese, if we could borrow some from somewhere. To die for. Enjoy! The Best Temperature For Removing Ketchup Stains: How To Pre-Treat And Get The Best Results. YUM. Just don't be surprised if your kiddos start coming up with their own tricks and traps for him after a few reads. Memorieshavent had one of these in years. Heck, at age ?? When I was in my twenties a boyfriend introduced me to fried bologna sandwicheshe sauted mushrooms to go along with it and we put swiss cheese on top. I like the combination of ham and mustard. But if you are over 18, never, ever, no how, no way, allow ketchup anywhere near a proper hot dog in Chicago. , :eating: yup Suze,upstate NY style. "I remember my parents grinding the bologna in an old fashion meat grinder," says Regina. Southerners aren't know for shying away from strange food combinations, but everyone has their limits. Here now! Little Golden Books has you covered with its "Home for a Bunny". Tested. But every two years, they yield me a pretty nice pecan crop, and we have a nice pecan pie and throw the rest in the freezer. I dont eat meat anymore (health reasons), but what do I crave sometimes?? p.s. I havent eaten one in years, and admit that I now find bologna disgusting, so I have absolutely have no desire to eat one. Mortadella is then cured and cooked in a low temperature oven before it's packaged. Gotta love it. Anythings better with gravey on it! It was delicious! Im not a bologna fan at all! Heat until melted and meatloaf is heated through. :hungry: I was born & bred (2nd generation) in San Diego my mom used to make fried baloney sandwiches with white bread & ketchup for us, when it was a major junk food type day. I grew up with bologna sandwiches. Now my kids are carrying on the tradition! . Do you have a special memory about liverwurst? Shelf life: 2 to 3 years. My impression is that its something only children do. She ordered grits and proceeded to put sugar on them! -- Pam Horst, "My husband puts chocolate chip cookies crumbles on top of his chili. The strongest theory is that ketchup spaghetti originated in [postwar] Yokohama. But when it comes to sandwiches, the debate over whether or not ketchup should be a topping of choice continues to rage on. HP Fruity sauce is the best hot dog condiment in terms of flavor. The state is well known for its friendly people, but thats just scratching the surface of what makes it such a great place to visit. My all time favorite meal growing up. It may continue to ferment a bit and change slightly in flavor, but it is still safe to eat. Some people even like a fried egg on top. Wasn't gross. Include a large glass of fresh milk :moo: (without removing the cream) and theres my recipe for a heart attack. Mmmm, I just remembered. -- Tom Butterbaugh, "My grandma would make homemade buttermilk biscuits and, while they were still hot, would fill hers with peanut butter and vidalia onion slices. Mortadella and bologna are not the same, though . When you visit Natchez Trace Parkway National Park, you must check out the beautiful Cypress Swamp at mile marker 122 in the city of Canton. By making this small incision, the bologna will lie flat on the pan while it cooks. (And they did them up right with any fixins you wanted.) After its brown, add eggs and scramble together! For instance, my cold provolone/sliced turkey sandwich was a bit bland. No matter how you make it, its. To get the cheese super-melty, place a lid on the pan after you place the cheese on the meat. Right.fried bologna (we clipped the edges a little to prevent curling), cheap white bread (who could afford Wonder?) Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! bologna is cheap and filling but cold is just not editable to me. Now that he is an adult, my brother has gone all hoity- toity and only eats GARLIC bologna fried. Wander into the Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge and head to the boardwalk at Doyle Arm. It just doesnt get any better. We ate them in southwest Missouri too. I remember they were slits cut around the edges to prevent curling and it was fried in butter. He says it reminds him of deer camp, which is a good thing, I suppose, since his hunting days are probably over. Now Im a vegetarian, but I have had occasion to slice a veggie dog and do it up the same way. I havent had a fried bologna sandwich in probably 30 years but when I saw that picture my mouth watered! :hungry: Always had cold baloney sandwiches in our lunch pails in grade school. Mississippi is filled with some of the countrys most jaw-dropping destinations, from scenic Dunns Falls to beautiful Tishomingo State Park. I really have no idea where my strong feelings about this lunch meat came from, but I wont be making it in my house lol, I do though see how if you like bologna it would probably be a delicious way to eat it, since just about everything tastes better fried lol, My Mama used to make these for us when we were kids, YUM! This northern girl of Polish descent grew up eating them so lets not go with the whole Hillbilly thang! Yes, Miss Judy, a friend once made the gravy for me just as his Mama used to make it for him. In truth, you probably either loved it or hated it. The Bradford pears don't give me anything but worries that they're going to topple in a summer storm. You can add whatever sandwich fixings you like and then top it off with ketchup, creating a unique and tasty snack. another northern girl here whose dad used to make them for her.. -- Taylor Hysmith, "My father would eat bacon grease sandwiches. They feed on spices, poop in spices - and even leave their body parts behind after they die. This makes it a cant-miss destination for bird watching, so dont forget to bring your binoculars. All kinds of pies and all kinds of gravy!" Now when Im in need of a bit of guilty pleasure comfort food, I pull out the bologna and the cast iron skillet! It is a sandwich served at lunch counters of small, family-run markets that surround the Great Smoky Mountains, and fried bologna sandwiches can be found on restaurant menus in many places in the South. For instance, some people might not be used to others folding pizza slices, and some people debate if soda is called "pop" or not. Some people even like a fried egg on top. :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: :hungry: I have only had it once, but it was too greasy. My daddy loved it too. Of course, we also ate pickled eggs and pickled pigs feet, and they were soooooooo good. I like them with or without the egg. And now, if youll excuse me, Ive got to run to the store for some baloney and white bread. "I made this for a baby shower and it was a HUGE hit," says reviewer campagnes. Also spelled baloney sandwich, it is traditionally made from sliced bologna between slices of white bread, along with various condiments, such as mayonnaise, mustard, and ketchup. A fried bologna sandwich is not difficult to make. Im a purist though; I want the fried (or baloney, as we still call it), fried till almost burnt, on white bread with mayo. We also used to take the bologna and dice it, then brown it in a little butter. I also liked mayo sammiesjust mayonnaise on bread, deelish. The best hot dog toppingsfor me, that's sauerkraut, mustard, and/or a loaded Chicago . Ive actually, never had a fried bologna sandwich, though I grew up eating lots of bologna sandwiches, and have eaten fried bologna. do you put ketchup on bologna sandwich? -- Dana Foutch, "I've seen my sister eat and enjoy eating gummy bears dipped in steak sauce." Ive got one of those restaurants where its on the menu; if you want to make it a bit more tastytoss some sliced red and green bells peppers, thin sliced red onion and a few pickled jalapenos into the same frypan, let them all cook together and then melt your cheese on top. The fried bologna is then placed on the bread with the condiments and toppings. With a handful of ingredients and a hot skillet, you'll have yourself a classic, delicious lunch in no time. Why or why not? Yep, fried curled up on Mrs. Bairds white, miracle whip and Kraft american- in the single slice plastic wrap. and Id eat it with a fork. None of us other kids were brave enough to try them!" -- Sheila Gilcrease. But my favorite quick and easy meal is grilled cheese (real cheese) and tomato soup. Spread a little butter on the hot griddle or fry pan, and place the Cubano sandwich on the pan. now hubby and i are wanting these for breakfast, no bologna in the house :hissyfit: I grew up LOVING fried bologna sandwiches in the Chicago area. 2 teaspoons oil. Just a dollop or two of peanut butter in a bowl and squeeze a ton of maple syrup (the buttery fake stuff was best!) It often can result in debates people usually feel strongly . *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. Shudder!" I vote both, its disgusting and I grew up with it. As a bonus, head over to Bluff Lake, also located within the Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge. My mom them a lot for a quick summertime supper and to this day theyre one of my favorite sandwiches. Sliced Grandmother Bread is perfect in my book, though many people will tell you only real store-bought Wonder Bread will do. You might think of bunnies and adorable baby animals when Easter comes around, but what about turkeys? I discovered the curling effect and had to figure out how to prevent it. 'The Good Egg' takes on Easter in this hilarious and sweet springtime addition to the popular 'The Bad Seed' book series about an egg who is a little nervous when it comes to joining in on group activities -- even if all his friends are having fun. I grew up in upstate New York not very Southern and yet we had fried bologna sandwiches all the time. Bologna on white bread. These vertical branches are probably going to split and take more of the tree along with 'em. Yup, solidified bacon grease smeared between two pieces of bread." -- Kimberly Gaynor, "Salmon lasagna, served at my college fraternity by our house mother. You can add whatever sandwich fixings you like and then top it off with ketchup, creating a unique and tasty snack. If you are from West Virginia , then you grew up eating fried (often) BBQ bologna sandwiches . Which is to say that you can actually find fried bologna sandwiches on sit-down restaurant menus around here and in many other parts of the South. Our neighbor grew up on a farm and she introduced our family to them. In 1896, . The trees are so invasive, Washington Post had this to say about it: "It is now an ecological marauder destined to continue its spread for decades, long after those suburban tract houses have faded away. -- Ash Wood, "When I was younger my great grandmother would give me a slice of longhorn cheese on a gingersnap cookie. In addition to bread, mustard does not belong on sandwiches. Put one slice of bread on a plate or cutting board. So, now he begs me to make them for him. I cant believe you have a post about it today! Looking for a sweet and simple Easter book to add to your child's basket this year? The garlic, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper make this sauce ideal for pairing with red meat. In 2021, South Carolina banned the sale of the trees starting in 2024. Ketchup on a bologna sandwich tastes so good. Do. As individual was eating, yolks mixed with ketchup dripped off their eating utensil. Try experimenting with different types of bread and cheese. Another one of my all time favorite sandwichesis peanut butter and dill pickles!!!! But why exactly do they smell that way? After that, he mixed the two mixtures together and enjoyed them with great relish." -- Susan Rizi-Benson, "Watched a co-worker put a salmon filet on top of a piece of cheesecake, then use his fork to carve out bites that contained both items. We always had bologna, but I decided one day to fry it. Ketchup is often considered one of the bad-boy condiments for people with type 2 diabetes.