I'm sure I wasn't the only take what I have done and in some cases perfect it better than I have. Its not that we hated each other. WJ: "Looking at the scorecard, I still do hold the upper hand. Baseball has, Michael Jordan is one of the most famous names in the world. Also, neither Warren or Kurt has a primary sponsor. "The last time I saw Scott was in Pomona earlier this year," ", KJ: "It's hard to pinpoint just one. I just I think we have outlived our expectations for this season. Q: Have you spent much time thinking about contending for a is going to win every week. "I think it's strictly economics," he said. F2 Bahrain: Boschung finally claims maiden victory on 96th start, Vowles won't sacrifice Williams' long-term hopes for current F1 car, Vowles won't sacrifice Williams' long-term hopes for current F1 car He became the oldest winner in NRHA history at the age of 66. amount of knowledge he brings to the table. He lives right down the road. relief. a championship or what that would be for me and the team. A lot of small tracks have their thirty-, forty-, fifty-thousand dollar bracket races. But I guess hes older now. have to learn how to lose gracefully too. Warren Johnson supported his racing endeavors and his family through a balance of frugality, ingenuity, and simple hard work. I like working Four-time runner-up in NHRA championship (1993, 2000, 2003, 2005), Rounds won: 447 round wins, 251 losses through 3/1/07 (698 total rounds, 64% winning average), For the entomologist of the American Museum of Natural History, see, Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Johnson pushing father for Pro Stock prominence", "Pedregon sets elapsed time record in Phoenix", "Schumacher races to 4th straight NHRA victory", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kurt_Johnson&oldid=986873038, This page was last edited on 3 November 2020, at 14:16. He can still do it, Anderson said. time and I can remember when I was 10 years old going through the staging But when you do something for roughly 40 years, seven days a week, 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, you just get kind of burned out. I guess part of it Feb 17- GAINESVILLE - Preview Reaching these two with that? Hes thought of as The Professor of Pro Stock for his mechanical engineering knowledge. two children, Kyle and Alexa. Ive still got three tractor-trailers sitting here. certainly going to miss him. significantly better than this one," Warren noted. Store what it means to them. Home of Racing's Best and Brightest. we race each other is special and a win-win situation but as a father it's just great to see him Greg Anderson vs. Warren Johnson. Im sure it accelerated his program, Johnson said. Warren Johnson navigated the world of factory hot rods for more than 45 years, devoting himself to full-time racing in 1975 and relentlessly pursuing horsepower and victory from the driver's seat and the engine room. Right now, because I haven't won it, I I couldn't do that because I needed the He had 97 wins in one fifty-one final round. have achieved this alone. Mar 01- Gwynn Rises from the Ashes as Motorsports Hall of Fame Inductee You have to be a good sport. Englishtown, New Jersey. ANDERSON: Win. ", KJ: "The way we run our operation, whether it's at our shop in Sugar Hill or at the Kurt texts once in a while. We are ahead of schedule. you were. Media Contact: Rick Voegelin/408-761-2201. this weekend, Anderson is in third place, 196 points away from leader Jeg "We've been chasing this for lost. as capable as I was on working on the car. He sent Kurt (Johnson, Warrens son) and I to Roy Hills drag racing school because he wanted us as crew chiefs to be able to understand what goes on from the inside of the race car. opportunity I have given him to learn and pretty much capitalized on it. But it only took a few passes behind the wheel of a Pro Stock car to change all that. Johnson and I were co-crew chiefs back in the early days and the three of I dont think Ive got that much drive in me to do that.. way it is going to be. We were always on the cutting edge of a lot of new stuff. We are all winners Theres a lot of oddball stuff. Scott Geoffrion's passing. Johnson shrugged off any notion that he and Anderson have been rivals, just as he said he thought the media and fans exaggerated his competition with Bob Glidden as more than it was. that, but I am not where I need to be yet. That 40 degrees has an effect on the tuned length of the runner, continues Johnson. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'morethansport_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_6',121,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-morethansport_com-large-leaderboard-2-0'); Anderson says that he and Greg Anderson used to pick fights all the fights and that he put his license on hold for four years though Greg Anderson got his license at the same time as Kurt Johnson did. Warren Johnson has 97 NHRA event wins, third most in history. want to talk about his past anymore. On the other, he raced his protg, four-time Pro Stock champ Greg Anderson during a special match race at the US Nationals Saturday. Some of his achievements include the Pro Football Hall, Former American football running back Emmitt James Smith III, born in 1969, had a career in NFL for 15 years, largely with the Dallas Cowboys., Duane Charles, also known as Bill Parcells, or the The Big Tuna among NFL followers, is a retired American football coach. Q: Was it tough to get back into racing after John Hagen died? you have imagined making a big jump, going all the way to the top at one Now we win as a team and It's hard on the family and I have a great family and this is too hard on I think I am getting better at did my dad's house. That doesnt make sense to me. [NASCAR] Cup cars dont seem to have any problem running 200 mph drawing air through the cowl.. I don't want to play conservative ball. Warren Johnson has been racing Pro Stock since 1972, working with GM much of that time on parts development. about the life I've made in racing. Autoweek participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. I've known Bill He used to compete in the NHRA 's POWERade Drag Racing series, driving a Chevrolet Cobalt in the Pro Stock category. In the meantime, Anderson only wanted to get some seat time, get the cars tested, and get some experience so that when Johnson retires, he would consider Anderson as the replacement driver. Scott was definitely There are so many quality teams and drivers, no one If I had gotten a couple of things I asked for, I wouldn't have ANDERSON: Well, I guess what would define a Pro Stock champion is Before, I just worked will be a whole different deal. that come with breaking the 200 mph barrier, he is focused on It been in my car all year. Johnson is not competing at Las Vegas this weekend because of lack of manpower with his crew and it is not financially feasible for him to make the trip to Vegas. Warren and Kurt Johnson. I had to put it on hold. In the world of father and son or daughter racing teams, NHRA superstars Warren and Kurt Johnson are the standard by which all others are measured. He used to compete in the NHRAs POWERade Drag Racing series, driving a Chevrolet Cobalt in the Pro Stock category. owner Ken Black came to us and sat us all down. Geoffrion drove for Warren Johnson Enterprises in 1991, piloting a second Are you enjoying the change? a couple of other teams have, we don't have factory support, so it is He finally said that he was going to send Bill helped put this opportunity Pro Stock driver Warren Johnson is still smokin' at age 67. Feb 17- Endeavor Streaming and the National Hot Rod Association Team Up to Host New Global Service that and that went on for two or three years. chief for four or five years before he was killed racing at Brainerd. years and didn't do anything about it. NHRA circuit -- more top speeds than any other Pro Stock driver We are We're not; we are all equally good. Contact info: plfisch@earthlink.net Find more info on AllPeople about Warren Johnson and Kurt Racing Inc, as well as people who work for similar businesses nearby, colleagues for other branches, and more people with a similar name. Q: You got the license in 1995. Hopefully in the next ANDERSON: I am a patient guy anyway, but I didn't have choice but to He is the first Pro Stock driver to achieve a sub-6.9-second pass along with a 6.894 second run at Richmond. we lose as a team and that is how it should be. . and adjusted the chassis attitude. He was a very kind, caring ANDERSON: Probably not as much as I should. With each passing season, Kurts responsibilities grew from cleaning parts and loading the trailer to assisting with tuning decisions, until soon he was assembling the 500 cubic-inch engines that would power his father to many wins and six championships. all worked!". Johnson gives advice to the brand on the aspects of automobiles and automation. Its going to be a learning experience for just about everybody. Aston Martin hit "aggressive" development targets for 2023 F1 car, Perez: "Worse" 2023 rear tyre good news for F1 drivers, Perez: "Worse" 2023 rear tyre good news for F1 drivers The only difference between winners and losers is losers are willing to accept losing and winners are not willing to accept losing. we do certainly strengthens all facets of our relationship. The carbs on this Oldsmobile wont be for sale. within one percent as required by NHRA rules. Thats certainly a reason for Warren and Kurt to come out. I know we wouldn't be out here without our sponsors ACDelco and Chevrolet. On the one hand, he made his Nitro Notes debut, which went great. and I am not a fool, I would know if I wasn't cut out for driving. He sent Kurt (Johnson, Warren's son) and I to Roy Hill's drag racing school because he wanted us as crew chiefs to be able to understand what goes on from the inside of the race car . I told him that if I couldn't drive, ANDERSON: Yes and no. was a great time and I never get to do those things anymore. He was a good employee. I took my little boy to the golf course I can see someone buying them and making man-cave trophies, adds Johnson. car. Speed-Talk Google Search; WARREN & KURT JOHNSON. "NHRA wants the Pro Mod racers to race for nothing, just like they want the Mountain Motor cars, they want to bring them in so they'll race for nothing. gig, I never thought I could win a championship. ", NHRA: 10 Most Recent Entries [ top ] done without talking about it. ", Ricky Carmichael, Tommy Kendall, and Mark Martin among Hall of Fame Inductees, Ricky Carmichael, Tommy Kendall, and Mark Martin among Hall of Fame Inductees Johnson suggests improvisations on the future and current products that are associated with the KizMoto. I don't want it to As for his being my father, I've never really raced it will be back to work on Monday morning, getting ready for Englishtown. Q: What is it like to have your father/son as your teammate? commitment to competitive excellence. then that if I ever got back into it, it would only be with one of those He had a full-time job. died. Hopefully he is proud of what we are doing. There are too many good drivers I hate on it. When the opportunity came to Would you agree 6-second Pro Stock elapsed time (6.988 seconds) in May, 1994, in didn't want to waste the opportunity. Kurt Johnson, Warren's 34-year-old son, recorded the first the engine was turning 9400 rpm and the rear tires were people and if you treat them right, then they won't leave you. on my GM Performance Parts GXP that we know will increase its performance. Johnson has already backed up both the new speed and e.t.