"My students can't get enough of your charts and their results have gone through the roof." Hi Abby, Once again you have given detailed examination of the authors use of language. 0000039010 00000 n Mom sits Josh down. Rebounding / is the art / of anticipating, / of always being prepared / to grab it. When the game starts, Josh looks up to his parents, but theyre not there. Kwame was also the 2018 NEA Read Across America ambassador. And while Dad is telling us another story for the hundredth time, Mom removes the saltfrom the table and JB goes to the buffet.He brings back three packages of duck sauce and a cup of wonton soupand hands them all to me.Dad pauses, and Mom looks at JB.That was random, she says.What, isn't that what you wanted, Filthy? First Quarter Quotes To get ready for the season, I went to three summer camps. How are family relationships depicted? Recently, he lead a delegation of twenty writers and activists to Ghana where they delivered books, built a library and provided literacy professional development to teachers. What, isn't that what you wanted, Filthy? When JB and Josh are in a fight, she takes JBs side without question because this is the expectation for her as a girlfriend. can you help me heal, run with me, slash with me like we used to? The Crossover Quotes and Analysis .I knew one day I'd need my own wings to fly. JB is standing there and saying nothing; his eyes are looking past Josh. And Im so thankful. game against Olive Branch Junior High, and that the team seemed unhurt by Josh's absence. This belief helps me to experience family dynamics and conflicts both similar and different to my own. Teacher Editions with classroom activities for all 1699 titles we cover. Creating notes and highlights requires a free LitCharts account. His favorite player is Michael Jordan, but he doesn't want people to think he's sweating him. He admits he is empty: he is the goal with no net. 10. The fact that Josh was driven to (unintentional) violence at all speaks to the intensity of his feelings, which are made even more intense by the fact that Josh is entering puberty and starting to grow up. Excitement--like what Dad might have felt upon receiving this letter--likely raised his blood pressure and made him vomit, which indicates that Dad is even sicker than he's letting on. When JB asks for seconds of salad, it shows that he recognizes that eating well is a good way to impress girls. The realization that JB is masturbating in the shower again shows Josh that JB is developing much faster than he is, though the lack of judgment in Josh's tone suggests he's becoming more used to the idea of JB changing. Josh hugs Mom and tells her how grateful he is for her loving him, Dad, and JB; he says that she is the best mother in the world. Generally, this type of poem focuses on personal moments or feelings or image laden scenes (Tunnell et al. Can JB run with him, help him heal, slash with him like they used to? Keen editors and support staff will supervise the task for you to guarantee Quality and ORIGINAL . 0000044218 00000 n When Dad shifts the conversation to make it about losing his cool rather than his poor health, it shows that he's still trying to ignore his hypertension and wants to keep it a secret from his sons. Its called Booked. Theyre not alone. Can JB run with him, help him heal, slash with him like they used to? Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. More books than SparkNotes. But then, things start to unravel as JB starts to get more interested in girls. Assign this text to deeply engage your students! And when I was born he was a PhD. 1090 0 obj <>stream His voice is as loud as thunder. Josh does not know how he went from annoyed to grumpy to churlish. Kwame Alexander "Dear Jordan" from THE CROSSOVER by Kwame Alexander. This book presents a realistic view of family life; the constant cycle of joys and hurdles. The Crossover is the story of twins but seventh grader Devon Kibbey noticed that readers get the point of view of only one brother. denly giving just brief visual descriptions and using lots of ellipses? Now can you go make my French toast please?. At the end of the chapter, why does the writing style change so drastically from what it was before, to sud His mother made him cut off the rest. How Do You Spell Trouble? After two hours, Mom kicks the relatives out and after they leave, Dad calls. There is so much to unpack in this wonderfully written book that it would be easy to stop and analyze every single page; the figurative language, the formatting, the authors message. And then, of course, I thought, 'What middle grade kid, or teacher for that matter, is gonna know what that word means?'". I am writing a prequel to The Crossover. (LogOut/ This indicates that coming of age can happen suddenly and horrifically at times. All rights reserved. At 7:45, she asks about the score and how. Josh realizes that sometimes its the things that arent said / that kill you (156). 0000007293 00000 n You'll be able to access your notes and highlights, make requests, and get updates on new titles. like two stars stealing sun, like two brothers burning up. His family unit is strong, though it is not always perfect. Yes, what attracts the junior high boys to her immediately is her pulchritude, but she quickly reveals herself to be smart, opinionated, talented at basketball, and a caring friend. Exploration of this text can be a gateway into students writing. Both are skilled basketball players. Mom and Dad argue. Joshs life and his humanity, as opposed to just reading about it. 0000007875 00000 n 5. Zip. Ruth Bishop said that poetry "has a kind of magic and can help the reader see ordinary things in new ways." Cha c sn phm trong gi hng. Josh and JB made a bet.. Josh lost, and JB got to cut off five of his dreadlocks. Josh and JB generally get along; but they have very different personalities. One day in school, JB passes a note to Josh to give to a girl he really likes, who Josh nicknames Miss Sweet Tea. Josh states that somewhere betweencamaraderieandimbecile I tap her beige bare shoulder with the note (pg. hbbd``b`$n zb1LL@k# #@ # _ By analyzing how Alexander is able to use voice, word choice, sentence fluency and original ideas to write a powerful story, students will be able to create a story that reflects their own original idea. Now that Josh's actions have hurt someone, his sense of loneliness gets even worse. We see how extended family fits into the puzzle and what feelings the main characters has at this time. Vondie is suffocated by the defense and JB cant make the shot; the Wildcats are down at the end of the first half. gives a fry each to Josh and Vondie and then tells Josh that he and, Sweet Tea's divorced parents are estranged. How does the structure of the poem convey the speaker's message? His dad revives and spends nineteen days in the hospital as Josh tries to get used to his new existence alone without JB who used to be his best friend. Males are mostly depicted in the role of sports hero; strong, popular and at the center of society. (LogOut/ Mom's reminder that behavior like this could land Josh in jail one day again points to the state of race relations in the US--as a black man, Josh is more likely than a white peer to end up in jail for a crime. JB only went to one. Climax: Dad dies during the championship game Antagonist: Hypertension and death; change Point of View: First-person Extra Credit for The Crossover We see the shock wave ripple through the family when all their attempts to help Dad take ownership for his health fails and he dies. At one point, Josh begs his Dad to intervene and talk to JB, to which he replies, Filthy, if some girl done locked up JB, hes going to jail. The two-column structure used in the Crossover's poem "Dear Jordan" stands for; The two-column structure used in Dear Jordan symbolizes the broken relationship between the two brothers Josh and JB. He suggests writing him a letter, and Josh thinks that could work. 0000001668 00000 n I think it was very insightful inThe Crossoverto include the relationship Josh had with his coach. The score is tied and clock ticks as. When I walk onto the court I prefer silence so I can watch, react, surprise. They are teammates in every sense of the word; able to wordlessly communicate on the court to become the stars of the team. Josh's assessment that Vondie's girlfriend (who he appears to think little of) is better than being single speaks to Josh's intense desire to join his friends in reaching this milestone. And after that type of success, Rutland Town seventh grader Joe Anderson wanted to know it theres more to come. a7[6se7U>rcf[,+*@j3(9 0000013468 00000 n As his relationship unravels with his brother, he finds himself at odds more and more with his parents. At first, Josh doesnt love the nickname, but it takes on a special meaning when it becomes a code between him and his Dad when he is on the court; a signal he is doing well. are down by seven. Full Title: The Crossover When Written: 2009-2014 Where Written: Unknown When Published: 2014 Literary Period: Contemporary Genre: Young Adult Novel; Verse Novel Setting: An unnamed town in the U.S. We raised nearly 7000 in our online auction! Complete your free account to access notes and highlights. And, eventually after maybe a draft of it I knew that I wanted him to have a twin brother. JB and his attacker stare at each other. Want to help more children attend our events in the future? His preferred nickname is, the game. At the stoplight, JB and Josh look out the window at the same time, and Josh knows what his brother is thinking. Joshs Dad gives him the nickname Filthy McNasty. As Josh plays in the final game of the season, his Dad dies from a massive heart attack. I mean, because basketball is poetry in motion, and so I thought lets use verse. Dad reminds the boys of how, when they were seven, asks when the big game is, and Josh asks why he never took him and, points out that the big game is tomorrow, Dad wants to know if he and, goes to the library alone, shoots free throws and eats donuts alone. Asked by jayionna m #1050276 on 9/23/2020 9:09 PM Last updated by jill d #170087 on 9/23/2020 9:41 PM Mom insists that Dad call Dr. Youngblood. I was going to sort of remember what I went through during that age and I sort of knew that that was going to be the point of view, from his perspective. Teach your students to analyze literature like LitCharts does. Dad's message does much the same thing, though it seems much more in character for Dad. He's nearly six feet tall and has a twin, JB. This implies that Josh dropped the proverbial ball when he passed to JB. The characters listen to the same music as they do, covet the same shoes, use the same slang. Because the only thing that matters is swish.Because our backboard is splintered. 1086 0 obj <>/Encrypt 1080 0 R/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<61646262373637383037366663616638366338393836303261386561666634336264323463323264316164333866373366333835346439303963633665616633>]/Index[1079 12]/Info 1078 0 R/Length 55/Prev 879473/Root 1081 0 R/Size 1091/Type/XRef/W[1 2 1]>>stream Coach gives the team a pep talk. Da's pulse is gone. "I love that word! 0000008243 00000 n Again, Dad's willingness to call Josh by his name shows that Dad respects that both of his sons are growing, changing, and taking control of their identities in perfectly normal ways. 23-12. However, I will tell you this. Vermont Public's News CoverageGovernment & Politics | The Vermont Economy | Criminal Justice & Public Safety | Arts & Culture | Education | Health | Energy & Environment | Food & Agriculture | Series & Specials, Investigations | Brave Little State | Vermont Edition | New England News Collaborative (NENC) | VPR Archive. Seventh grader Dylan DiPietro wonders how that feels. It doesnt help that his Dad keeps having health issues, but wont go to the doctor because he thinks this is a stupid waste of time. 0000057497 00000 n Detailed explanations, analysis, and citation info for every important quote on LitCharts.