But its biggest advantage is the mower will hang on slopes because the front wheels steer and both transmissions drive all the time. Additionally, I dont have to do the mowing which is hard to quantify. An issue during the transit process could damage the mower. The mower has a stamped deck (like your Husqvarna) and the Toro engine. The blades can be sharpened many times before they need to be replaced. The only Country Clipper dealer within 100 miles is 17 miles from my home, and he has 2 Boulevards in stock: a new 2018 and a used 2016 with only 38.5 hours on the meter. Sorry for the long post but I have NO EXPERIENCE at all with any of this. Last year I used 50 of those large, compostable yard bags and only about 85% of my leaves dropped before our first snowfall. Its the best choice in your price range. By the way, Home Depot is not going to carry Ariens mowers. Should i go kubota, scag, or exmark (if the latter are even available in that price range) and is it ok to cut maybe 2 foot tall weeded area. Awesome site and comments. Adding a range of accessories allows the gardener to put the tractor to multiple tasks around the yard, a tractor doesnt just cut and collect grass. trans) Might be able to get an entry level pro machine for the regular price of a consumer unit though. That said, You can get armrests for the XT1 and install them yourself. Lastly, Toro is a 100 year old company that has been making zero turns for decades, including those which have been engineered and built for Exmark, the industry leader in commercial mowers; they know what they are doing. I also like the toro my ride and ariens ikon x john deere and cub cadet ultima. The Gravely ZT HD 48 991152 is the best zero-turn lawn mower. I suggest taking a look at the Exmark Radius E and Radius S before you look at the Scag. (Its been flawless) It also has a fabricated 42-inch deck. There are two companies that make good flip-up deck mowers. More recently, he has been showing up with a Scag zero turn, with a slightly larger deck. For the Toro, the front tires are 114 inches and the large rear tires are 18 x 7.5 inches. They will also mow that taller pasture with the mulch plate installed if you lift the deck up as high as it can go. When the mower is out of service, should the deck be at a specific height, like all the way up or all the way down? While its a good mower a rough lawn will shake it apart sooner than all the others Ive mentioned. Also, the price for their 1 time leaf collection last year easily justifies a better solution there. Hi Shane, Yes, Deere has made a lot of improvements in their decks in the last 10 years. Hi Paul, have you looked at the new Scag residential zero turn yet? Going green The Best Electric Riding Mowers, Lawn Tractors and ZTRs. About to own 1.5 fairly flat property with some trees and become first time ZT owner, too. They are the same price. never go flat front tires !!! Durable, advanced polymer seat suspension A rubber floor mat to dampen vibrations Industry-exclusive overmolded hand grips Removable floor pan for easy deck access 17 quarter-inch deck height adjustments, including transport mode Offset front axle for precise trimming Maintenance-free sealed ball bearing spindles Premium Turf Master tire set The lap bars are very adjustable to fit your driving style. The Toros and the ZT X use the ZT2200 transmissions. Seems to be the biggest difference is the forged deck? Residential ZTRs are rated for no more than 15-degree slopes. I own a 48 Bad boy MZ 2011 now Looking to upgrade with suspension. The smaller deck may let you trim more areas of your woods also. Dealer did mention that Cub Cadet is the hottest mower they sell now, even though he had a Toro shirt on ha ha. The 75746 also comes with the U.S.A.-made Kohler engine. Im going to be down in the Bradley, Il area the middle of June. The cheap ones are also flimsy and the spouts break after the first year. My understanding is he was originally a part owner in Bad Boy mowers he didnt like the direction Bad Boy was heading so he started his own brand of ZTRs. Hi Ryan, I actually recommend the John Deere Z355R. A good size for lawn tractors and zero-turns. (There are a lot of small assembly shops that do make components for most brands). Cub Cadet ZTS (steering wheel ZTR) 50 inch and larger can handle 20-degree slopes because the front steering wheels help to hold the mower on the slope. Thank you very much! I would like a bigger deck, at least a 54inch so I can be donestyle points on grass not important. 3. Im fine with spending up to $4,000. In addition, the easy access deck makes it very easy to clean and allows you to do your own maintenance on the blades. Appreciate the in depth insight on the towing/tongue weight. Thoughts on a JD or Cuba Cadet? It has baffles under the deck for mulching so it will take about 30 minutes to switch from mulch to bag. Probably could pull the cart full of rocks easily for a long time. Looking at either a cub cadet or a another Toro.we have a farm yard ,about 2 acres . Really want a 48 deck min. This Toro Timecutter 75755 zero-turn mower combines comfort with versatility, thanks to its seat suspension system, straightforward controls, and hassle-free maintenance. Hi Dan, I may ramble on a bit because buying a mower from Costco for a commercial application is a bad idea. Whats your take for a small zero turn for my under 1/2 acre yard? They finally realized that their real mission was to make the best mowers for fewer people instead of making mowers for the masses. Considering that I dont seem to need the step-handrail, do you still consider the Boulevard my best option? The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. Instead, they shred the grass into little cotton balls That leave a mess on your lawn. Its the 48 inch Bradley Stand-On. Cub Cadet has put a lot of time into designing a deck that cuts just as well and from what Ive seen so far (on YouTube) it cuts very, very well. Thanks for your time. The Radius X is also rock solid on slopes. In the past week, I have talked to a few local dealers; Cub Cadet, Toro, and Gravley/Ariens. Expect 500-800 hour engine life. My Deere 212 lasted me 25 years and I would like to get the same from this machine. It looked fairly safe and stable to mow this way. Have a 5ft gate (55 inches clear). For that steep spot, Ive been planting ground cover, and only have a small section remaining that can be mowed without needing to make turns on the hill (it bottoms out into a flat section). The bolt-in mulch kit is easy to take in and out for fall cleanup. The Cub utilizes a similar tire setup, with the only difference being the 20 x 8-inch rear tires. Going to demo the Walker very soon and if I can manage to escape the seduction, Ill head down the road and pick up the Clipper saving a few bucks. This in comparison with the ZT1s EZT-2200. Types of Lawn Mowers & Tractors. Both the Toro and Ariens have great cutting fabricated decks. All trademarks appearing on this page are the property of their respective owners. Have you done any testing with the Husqvarna or any other mower manufacturers? I only mulch, and as often the case in the NW , the grass here is damp. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox. 4. Another possibility is to go back to a lawn/garden tractor. I would guess the average engine life to be 500-750 hours maybe 1000 if you change the air filter and oil when required. 3. He spends as much time with his granddaughter as he can. He is a riding mower lover and has been active in the industry for years. cub cadet vs toro zero turn 2020. Would this be enough to see a difference? Thank You in advance! It comes in a 42-inch deck model and a 50-inch deck model. The Cub Cadet Ultima ZT1 42 has a similar build. Keep the ZTR off slopes more than 15 degree and change the air filter every 50 hours or less and it will give you a long life. The other half is generally flat (this is the back, and the lower portion of the front). I would prefer one with mulching capacity that doesnt bog down, create mohawks, or leave grass clumps on my lawn or, worse, my sidewalk and driveway. Can ride or flip up foot stand and convert to walk-behind (NICE) Hey Paul, Very informative article! The Toro TimeCutter ZS 4200S and Cub Cadet Ultima ZT1 42 are often compared, as both residential zero-turn mowers are sold at most big name home improvement stores and advertised regularly. I do like the 42 inch Toro over the 46 inch Cub Cadet. I would need about 20 hours per year out of the machine, at about 45 minutes per cut. Ventracs can handle 30-degree slopes ($25,000) So if you are nervous about the Briggs Intek in the John Deere lets focus on two Toro mowers. agpro of new albany is the premier power equipment in the midwest ----- financing available, we take trades, delivery available -----only 221 hours----- ag pro is your premier equipment . For it being called a commercial mower, it is NOT one!!!!! The Kawasaki option does not seem to be available unless I want to order through a big box store. 1, Stihl iMow RMI 632 P handles up to one acre and is the best for design and installation. The IKON XL and the Toro MyRide are much better choices. A little more than half of it i would consider wooded. Just so you know this is the last year for the M-ZT line. I did mean to say the Ariens XD, whats your take on the Ariens Apex in comparison? 3 Luglio 2022; dekalb regional medical center ceo; when did ojukwu and bianca get married . Also, notice the specs for these heavier grade machines say things like 18,400 fpm blade tip speed, 1 aluminum spindles with sealed ball bearings, caster bearings, and axle bearings but Cub Cadet does not mention these? Build Quality/durability, cut quality including mulching ability, and ability to use for towing small items are my priorities in that order since price is equal. My front yard is fairly steep with an 18 degree grade. My dad runs an old Wheel Horse, never had to rebuild anything on the motor or gear box and its going on 33 years. We can get the veterans discount at Lowes and Home Depot. I know the toro is 708cc and the Kawasaki is 726cc. Thanks! But then again, I might like the lighter Deere better for my lawn. Country Clipper Boulevard (deck tilt) Paul Thanks again for the information! However, the 4WD model is a bit out of my price range, and it now seems that few dealers still carry these mowers in the US. The Ryobi is holding up well and the owners like it a lot. Since the Ariens Apex won the round out of the timecutter and ultima how does it stack up against the mz61. It seems to me Id get a stamped deck, better engine and some comfort things like arm rests if I do upgrade to the 50/52 in either model so the $400 may be very much worth it. (It will be set up and delivered by a local dealer) I checked the Redding, CA website and they can get either one to you in about 2 weeks. Thanks, Hi Pam, They are both very high-quality machines. Yard is level. Here is the Country Clipper website to locate a dealer in New Zealand: Country Clipper. My main wants are dependability, comfort and look of cut. I only want to look at shaft drive, to reduce belts. RYOBI 42 in. I then considered a Hustler Raptor SDX (cost too high) and the MZ54 Husqvarna (user reviews pretty negative). And with my analytical mind, I go back and forth and change my mind on many of these. It is a nice machine. Based on my reading here (and other online platforms), Im pretty much in line with everyone elsereliability, durability, maintainability, reasonable cut (dont need golf course perfection! To get a ZTR heavy enough to hang on that slope you need to be in the $6000 plus range. I always leave my decks at the mowing height. What are your suggestions for my yard .35 acres, flat land, no trees in the back but I do have 3 in the front and on the side. Appreciate it. For comparison, I took the top models of Cub Cadet and Toro to find which is the best. Since then I have went to a local dealer that sells Toro and Cub Cadet. Arent the Toro engines made in China? Hi Charlie, Is the dealer getting some in or will your local Ariens Dealer order the mower? The Toro Titan with MyRide is the best ride on the market right now. Below that list, I discuss the more popular brands and why buying a certain brand may be the best choice for you. Titan IronForged Deck 24.5 HP Commercial V-Twin Gas Dual Hydrostatic Zero-Turn Riding Mower with MyRIDE, Cub Cadet Ultima ZT3 60 in. Its a stand-on mower. It has the heavier duty trannys and really rides nice! The Gravely ZT XL model seems to be a good sweet spot with the 2800 transaxles and well-built machine. The Gravely ZT HD is the same mower as the Apex. Only the Timecutter has it. The Ultima ZT2 will last. I imagine itll see approximately 1 hour of use a week during the mowing season. The Intek is a good motor for someone who has a flat lawn and mows about 1/2 acre a week, but for what you want to mow it will last long enough to just get past the warranty. The seat is thick, padded and has springs to help the ride. I dont think youll be happy with Husqvarna 254 over the years. Hi Laurrelle, There are very few front deck mowers on the market. So, well see if they last. Well see what happens when the owner of the shelter balances longevity and cost. Personally, Id go with the 48 inch but the 54 and 60 inch models will get you done faster. Both have heavy-duty fabricated decks and Kohler/Kawasaki engines. Paul, great article. Consumer Reports agrees with me on this. And I apologize for the somewhat mis-information. I do like the 42 in you sent above. Hi Tawanda, A good 42-inch zero-turn is a good size for your yard. It gives you a slightly more even cut. Im looking at the specs from a booklet recently supplied by the local Cub Cadet dealer, and for the ZT2 50, and it says that the power train is a Dual Hydro-Gear ZT-2800. What are your thoughts about those in comparison to the other. Thanks, Mark. Scag Liberty Z with the Kawasaki engine 48 I easily say that this mower is thru and thru a Walker and will probably be the last mower you ever buy. I have been using a Husqvarna 48 lawn tractor and have been very satisfied with it. Toro TimeCutter MX4200. If you have a very thick lawn you may wish you went with a V-Twin engine. The Cub is designed with a more open engine compartment so maybe the sound will be dispersed outwards better. Do you have a local dealer who can get those parts for a Jonsered? The joystick does seem nice, but I have no idea which one might be better for ride comfort, durability, etc. Any advice you can give on each for a residential lawn? A lot of great reviews online / Pro landscapers rave about build/cut/speed I want to go the mulching route so that I can avoid so many grass clippings. Ill try and stop by to ask them if they are having the frames farmed out. Im now looking to replace that mower with another last mower. The blade speed on zero-turn mowers is faster than on a lawn tractor so you can travel over the lawn faster and still get a great cut. I just noticed that the 48 Accel Deep deck is 10 gauge, that is nice. I compared Toro, Bad Boy, John Deere, Husqvarna and Cub Cadet and based on . I have narrowed my choices down to the Ariens Ikon XL 52 (for its rugged build), the Toro Timecutter with Myride 50 (for the ride) and the Ryobi 100 ah 42 (for the quiet operation and the cost savings over time). He suggested to me a few brands that he thought would fit the bill: kubota, scag, exmark. This simply means you wouldnt need to bend over and grease now and then, and you also wouldnt experience any spindle problems with the Cub Cadet ZT1. 4. Of course, durability is important. Can a person get by with just buying the mulching blades as opposed to the entire mulching kit? Hi Scott, Thank you for your support! Please excuse my novice level lol. On 2.5 acres you may only need to replace the blades every 3-4 years. I firmly believe you get what you pay for. Mower Blades, deck belts, air cleaner, oil filter, etc. I suggest mowing at 4 inches and then mow in the late afternoon. Since the blades spin at over 18,000 fpm, you can cut grass without the dreaded clumping. The small front casters will make it ride rougher than many of the other mowers in that price range. Thanks!! For a rugged mower for two acres, I like the Ariens IKON XL and Ariens APEX at the Home Depot. Thoughts. They make a good flaunt of their 11-gauge fabricated decks, which are highly dependable. 100 Ah Zero-Turn Electric Mower. The deck independently rides over bumps, dips, and follows the contour of your lawn exactly. Which One Is Best For You? I am considering moving on from my 30 Dixon ZTR w/ the B/S 16.5 Intek engine. 1. I can get on and off without the rail, but it involves using the deck as a step, which the dealer says is fine. Heres how operation works: The Toro TimeCutter employs the patented Toros Smart Speed Control System, and this allows the operator to choose a trim speed thats best for the area about to be mowed. The driveshaft is more durable than the Grasshoppers. Guys wear them out by trying to mow on hills greater than 15 degrees, pull carts full of dirt and gravel, mow side hills or ditches over 15 degrees and dont keep the outside free of grass and debris (overheating). I like my Husqvarna tractor, and the Z254F is on lots of recommended lists, but the user reviews concern me. I forgot in my first question to ask you about the Husqvarna MZ61 with the Kawasaki engine. Check it out here: https://homedepot.sjv.io/P00q4N. This was my original choice before researching because well it was the only brand I knew. Good to know. I have around two acres to mow, with a lot of flower beds, a large flower/vegetable garden, two out buildings, two houses, two driveways, quite a few trees, fencing along a cow pasture, and a ditch along the highway. It cuts very well and will last you a long, long time. But, Since you have a very rough lawn I recommend that you buy the Titan series with MyRide. You get a great mower at an honest price. Hi Jake, I like the Ariens better. 5. 679 cc Fuel Injected (EFI) V-Twin Engine Dual Hydro Gas ZeroTurn Riding Mower with Steering Wheel Control. I just had a ..make my day Clint Eastwood moment but in a good way (smile). At the end of the day, your priority is the winner of this long but worthy battle! One, Keep the mowing speed to no more than 5-6 mph. The Ultra-Cut decks cant be beaten. fuel type: gas. One significant difference between the two mowers is that the Cub employs an open-frame and hinged floor pan. Owners need to know this! The back third is one long, flat, but fairly steep hillside, with a uniform slope at around 14-15 degrees, with one small section or dip that reaches 20 degrees. Zero turns are excellent at maneuvering and at cutting laws efficiently. (same mower ones red the other is orange) The larger 20 inch rear tires really make a difference for traction on slopes. My initial thought on an attached bagger is that it wont hold the volume that the DR will (which has a 27 or 43 cu ft capacity) and you will be constantly emptying it. The 50-inch model is over your budget. Plus I just really like it over anything else under $3000. Yes, the cart will hold 1000lbs. This makes for less mowing time depending on the size of your yard. I have some areas where Its nearly a football field long! The only real difference is the Toro has a slightly thicker deck, the automatic parking brake, and the smart speed control. I went and looked at it last Saturday and got to drive it around the parking lot. I appreciate any suggestions that you can offer. Its engine offers more power than the Cub Cadet mower and its fuel tank is larger than its competitor. The 3100 trannys are nice but the mower is Kubotas entry model. A Cub Cadet owner can also purchase armrests for their mower, whereas the Toro doesnt accommodate this extra convenience. The Toro is the highest-rated. I wanted to have beefier Transaxles. LapBars can really put a strain on your shoulders after a while. There are a lot of parts to install and youll need a helper to get all the bolts installed and tightened. I own a summer camp with 3 large sport fields. Its very similar to the ZT X but has the stronger ZT2800 drives. I am considering a Kubota z231 BR-48 and a John Deere Z530M-48. I would also want to avoid overly sensitive control bars. There is a low, medium, and high trim speed. Thats well worth the extra money. A zero-turn is the same way, Too much weight on the rear hitch will cause the front end to be light and even lift off the ground going up a hill. Also do i need 2 worry about popping one of those front tires with the small stumps i have around? Hi Paul, To compare apples to apples (by price) my first choice is the Gravely ZT HD/Ariens APEX. Hello and thank you for all of the information that you have enlightened all of us with in reference to ztr mowers. Thank you so much! The mulch kit is also semi-permanent. Ive heard good and bad things about both brands. But, since Im a big guy the handle does dig into my thigh when Im mowing. Decent engine, decent transmissions and built well. Commercial ZTRs 60 inches or wider are also rated for 15 degrees but because of the weight, a few can run on 20-degree slopes. It will last for you if you do two things. I will check out the dealer and go from there. Gravely ZT HD 52: $5100 It should be durable while providing maximum comfort during mowing. 2022 The Best Residential Zero Turn Mowers, 2022 The Thirteen Best 42-46 Inch Zero Turn Mowers, 2022 The Sixteen Best 48-52 Inch Zero Turn Mowers, 2021 The Sixteen Best 54-72 Inch Residential Zero Turn Mowers. The models I list here cut great, bag well and have great parts and service networks. Hi Paulwhat is your opinion on the Walker ZTRs vs the Exmark ZTRs? The hauler is rated to carry up to 1,000 pounds. Your review the other day was spot on. Gravely ZT XL 52: $4200 Headlights are the kinds of features that you either get on commercial zero turns or you get installed, but the Cub Cadet has them fixed for you at the get-go! Thoughts? Robotic Mowers. Its just about commercial grade and only about $800 more. Heavy 7 gauge deck (apparently the same deck/frame as Bobcat). The idler bracket has a habit of wearing out the pivot hole. Was more of a general question. never go flat front tires !!! Electric Riding Mower Lithium-Ion and Lead Acid Battery- 10 Best Tips. Hi Bill, Dixie Chopper is under new ownership again. Ill be mowing my 1 acre, flat-to-mildly sloping residential lawn with minimal trees. If you dont have the experience get a 36-44 inch walk-behind and use that until you get the experience. Any thoughts on that machine? Centipede grass needs to be cut at 1 1/2 inches, requires more power to cut and can quickly wear out cheap residential mower blades. So inclined to think the Cub might be better overall for towing. Hi Joe, I want to start off and say Im not picking on you this comment has to do with the industry as a whole. What would you suggest to best meet my needs? I have two in mind. Id go visit each dealer and buy from the one you trust the most. Would the HG-2800 hydros on the toro be any concern for longevity going up my hilly terrain. Those 700-1500 hour machines can nickel and dime you to bankruptcy. I do like the ZT1 by Cub Cadet as well and the Z335E by John Derek. Thanks again. I strongly suggest going to a dealer and talk them into demoing the mower on your lawn before you buy. I reached out to you before on some suggestions. Hi JD, You will be a lot happier with the cut of the Toro than the Simplicity. Oh, Im 62, in reasonable shape, dont mind the exercisein fact, kinda keeps the joints lubricated (smile). It helps a lot to help you out. In the questions and answers, Toro says that they recommend 85 lb pulling. Even the new MyRide MX5075 uses the 2200. Dave. I do have a fence, trees and a few other yard obstacles. I actually would prefer the Exmark or Toro. i just need help deciding which mower to go for, i run my own gardening business of three years and its now time to upgrade to a ZT, I do a few commercial jobs which are about 1 acre in size and alot of smaller residencial properties with small gate access around 1/2 acre. Because of that brand recognition today the dealer can charge more (and make more profit.) recommendedNo-Spill 1450 5-Gallon Poly Gas Can (CARB Compliant)This one has a second handle in the back so it is very easy to use and hang onto when pouring into your fuel tank. The smaller ones are top-heavy, wobble around on rough ground, can be very tippy and dont have good traction on rough ground or slopes. Ive been tasked with researching the options. This peculiarity is very beneficial to the cutting deck of the machine. Thanks for your help! Lets see if we can sort them all out. If you have to sit on the seat to start the mower there is an electrical pressure switch inside the seat. That mower should be in the $2700 range and the fact you have to spend an EXTRA $160 for a hitch is ridiculous. We are compensated for referring traffic and business to Amazon and other companies linked to on this site. He can get parts for the Jonsered and many of the parts he has on the shelf for the Husqvarna tractors and ZTRs will fit. The Ultima deck is a good deck but residential mowers, in general, dont like to mulch when cutting the grass at 2 3/4 inches or less. For fall cleanup, Ill either bag or mulch and sweep. I am looking at zero turns and I feel like I can spend $3,000 or less and get a great mower. Hi Paul, Im looking at zero turns for hilly and bumpy terrain. Then decide the best mower for you based on the features you like and how well you like the dealer. Ive never been a Cub Cadet fan, however, their new Ultimata series seems pretty legit after research. I have been going through drive belts at a rate of 1 per season. Your thoughts please. Im thinking a 50 to 54-inch cut would be good, with a quality engine and transmission. My boss stumbled across the Jonsered 54 ZT Commercial Riding Mower at Costco, and she recently ordered the Jonsered 46 Tractor Mower. If I recall correctly, Bradley actually had a stand-on before Bob Cat. Thank you for what you do. Who Makes The Best Lawn Tractor or Zero Turn For You? Hi Trent, It will finish mow at 8 mph and if you dont need a perfect cut it will mow at 10 mph. Keep it in a shed, out of the weather and you wont have to buy another mower, ever! You didnt say how much you are mowing but for example, 10 acres 25 times a year is only 60-75 hours a year. I am in search of zero turn to run the fence line, pond and camp area on 22 acres. Hi Rob, Lets start with the Toro. I am considering an after-market DonBar to help me get on and off. Let me start with the cart. Hi Dick, The Toro TimeCutter and Cub Cadet XT1 will give you about the same life expectancy as your old Toro. For example, I like my local Toro Dealer a lot. In addition, ANY ZTR under 48 inches will have traction issues like sliding even on dry ground. What are your thoughts. Now I am contemplating having them rebuild transmission which I believe will cost me about $1500 or maybe just get a good used or new zero turn. But the real market is Europe so not everyone is selling here yet.