What I referred to for years as roast beef with enchilada sauce. All the best bar b q joints in the area use some variation. And for the same reason, that I grew up in NC.But you're right about the native sauce here. 0 %--Fat. And he used shoulders exclusively, but did cater whole pig sometimes. As this Franklin Barbecue A Meat Smoking Manifesto Pdf, it ends going on swine one of the favored books Franklin Barbecue A Meat Smoking Manifesto Pdf collections that we have. Posted Wed, Oct 19 2016 10:19AM, p3orion "Tennessee, what have you done for [Texas] lately? jar pimento, chopped and drained1 pint apple cider vinegar2 cups sugar or sweetener 1/4 cup salt1/4 tsp. Fry until fragrant then add the wine and lemon juice. When you bring the internal temp to 200, it allows the collogen and connective tissue melt down and turn almost sweet. Hence Piedmont style. I ordered bbq pig. Posted Sat, Dec 5 2015 11:41AM, In conclusion Over the many past decades I have heard countless debates about NC barbecue. I recently went looking for that taste. 499. City Barbeque Samplers Judge's Sampler with 2 Individual Sides $41.99 Brisket, pulled pork, 1/4 chicken, half slab of ribs, two pint sides, two cornbreads, Texas toast. Also great with chicken!!!! Tennessee, what have you done for me lately? Place pork in slow cooker. Crushed red pepper is not usually used, the heat (if any) coming from cayenne or Texas Pete.3) South Carolina sauceMustard based. This is some kind of bastard hybrid. I sure miss those BBQ,s with them at the pig cooker.., n this recipe is a dead ringer for theirs! jar pimento, chopped and drained1 pint apple cider vinegar2 cups sugar or sweetener cup salt tsp. It was excellent! $10.79 +. 0.0% fat, With the breadth of comments that post elicited, I've been able to piece together and refine a sauce that I finally feel confident enough is in proper shape to present to the finest smoked swine and the interweb masses at large. I have seen the recipe made in 5 gallow bucket with chicken dipped and the cooked/marinade over block fire pit.Posted Tue, Jun 11 2013 3:02PM, John McClancy As a son of tobacco road and traveling consultant, I visit and write reviews of BBQ houses all the time. 499. Ahhhh!!! Our bread is baked daily, sauce home-made and only the world's finest aromatics are used in our award winning rubs.Then we add our ownAward-Winning Sauces & Dry RubsAs one of the most decorated barbecue champions in the world, Joe Davidson's award winning sauces and dry rubs are the standard in modern day BBQ. You'll just need to scale up your cooking pot as well. Small Party Salad. Being from the Piedmont region just east of Charlotte, I knew the sauce wars were strong but man. Giving My RK the recipe, it's also like giving him enough rope to hang himself. Ingredients 1 - 750 ml bottle Firefly Spirits Strawberry Moonshine 1 - 750 ml bottle sparkling wine 1 2-liter Cheerwine 12 ounces citrus soda 2 oranges, cut into wedges (garnish) Maraschino cherries (garnish) Instructions Add all liquid ingredients to punch bowl with large block of ice. the fat came from a locally made, uncured, heavily peppered bacon. Garner Foods. Great hot sauce with a unique, natural flavor. Looking up the definition of "sauce" #1 says: thick liquid served with food, usually savory dishes, to add moistness and flavor.Now then, adding ketchup (which I have zero problem with) and brown sugar, etccould certainly make this into a BBQ sauce but vinegar, salt, black pepper, and red pepperalone is TECHNICALLY not a sauce.Either way, as someone else mentioned, who cares if it has ketchup or not, if it's Eastern or not.all that matters is that it's good. Keep up the great work here!Posted Wed, Aug 25 2010 10:50AM, jennifer I moved to MD from NC last year and MISS BBQ!!! Many include a mix of ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, chilis, garlic and/or cayenne pepper for heat . "The good folks of eastern NC have centuries of evidence that they make some of the best damn barbecue in the world, a fact of which they are justifiably proud. 1 tbsp : 35: Apple Sauce. Try it, you just might like it. Barbecue Sauce Recipe Easy. To me, it will always be my favorite. Updated Mar 2, 2023. My go to sauce has:1 cup cider vinegar1 cup ketchup3 Tbsp dark brown sugar1 Tbsp molasses1 Tbsp yellow mustard1 tsp salt1 Tbsp crushed red pepper1/4 cup de-fatted pork pan drippingsNo cooking, just mix and throw it on. I am really excited to try a high fructose corn syrup free bbq sauce. I was born in Tarboro, lived most of my life in Durham/Chapel Hill, and am settled in Asheville. I'm a Texas native and I found this sauce to be an amazing compliment to some pulled pork. Thank you, and have a Happy New Year!Posted Sat, Jan 2 2016 11:56AM, ann i broke my arm and have leftover pulled pork. Tabasco? But I doubt I can find Texas Pete in Minnesota. ;-)Posted Sun, May 26 2019 3:39PM, Lina Merlina I turn to a vampire any time i want to. His back glances to me while eating it, I couldn't tell if he hated it or I got it right. More like this. So BBQ sauces can be different but basically it just ain't BBQ to me unless it is cooked on hickory. He was a Pemlico native. Posted Thu, May 2 2013 9:46PM, Al I don't care where the darn sauce is from,if it is goodeat it!Posted Tue, May 7 2013 3:22AM, Cheri Well said AL! He passed on us a while back. 52. You probably are just following the base recipe that everyone knows is good.Great chefs and cooks play with flavor profiles in subtle ways to create their own unique spins. Posted Wed, Feb 4 2015 1:37AM, a This is way too hot!! City Barbecue. I tried Josh's in an emergency and to no surprise it works! She cooked it for hours in sauce and we only had the pork the bun grilled in a sandwhich press. Thanks for sharing.Posted Tue, Sep 12 2017 4:59PM, Lisa If anyone ever figures out the sauce and coleslaw recipe used a College BBQ in Salisbury, NC, you will be my hero forever. When I was in Texas and (ironically) couldn't get Texas Pete, I found that Crystal is a pretty good substitute for it, too. Grew up on Texas Pete, by T.W. and am one of the most dreaded man in my country. Enough spring mix, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, and onions for 10-12 folks. Browse a list of all products from City Barbeque. Not being a North Carolinian though, I still have to ask, "How am I doing? The one thing that does make me want to scream is hearing South Carolina barbecue lumped into the category of mustard based sauces. I've asked my brother who is a great cook to critique to see what he thinks might improve that famous taste. Smoked Chicken Sandwich. Really the Texans should probably stay out of this debate. Try switching to a butt (now called a shoulder-blade roast in some markets) or a picnic, and save the tenderloins for quick cooking.Posted Sun, Jul 19 2015 4:49PM, Fully Alive I was born in Farmville and graduated from ECU (Go Pirates!). They have individual packets at Chik-Filet, I think. I use nothing else since finding this recipe. The pure pepper vinegar sauce you seem to think is the only "real" NC sauce is indigenous to the eastern parts of the state, but once you get to Raleigh, there's still almost 400 miles of North Carolina to go. For the beer drinkers, we tried the Parish Brewing Co. SIPS Pinot Noir Black Currant Sour for $5 for 6 oz. I can't tell you exactly how its made, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have any ketchup in it and probably only a little sugar, if any. But if Vinegar, Red Pepper, Salt, and Texas Pete are the foundation, I think it can pass as NC style Vinegar Sauce. Occasionally, somebody would slip a can of beer in the sauce. I'm making some crock-pot pulled pork right now and I added some Buffalo Salsa Chipotle from Mexico in place of the Texas Pete in my sauce. Share Tweet Pin it Fancy. It's got the spice, sweet, and salt to make some of the best NC BBQ ever in your back yard.Posted Fri, Aug 1 2014 12:47PM, DR LR BARYQUE Pretty good sauce, mine is similar BUT I add A handful of my special rub I save while rubbing pork. The vinegar sauce we almost always used didn't have any ketchup or sugar in it and it was delicious. That was 100 people! Don't use a blending/chopping machine that introduces too much air. All affronts aside - I absolutely love this sauce. Recipes vary but are always tomato-based, according to Botello. 5 stars on this sauce! Too, like todays flavorless chicken, pork that was naturally raised had FAR more flavor. Posted Fri, May 13 2016 6:13AM, p3orion Tom, I like your idea of using this or similar sauces for pickled eggs. This was a simple and great sauce with equal parts tang and sweetness. What's set a few people off is Josh's apparent blasphemy in calling a very good sauce that happens to include a tiny bit of ketchup an "eastern NC sauce." out on the highway. Love Josh B's recipes and wish to hell I could attend one of his Grilling Get-Togethers.Cheri from Treasure Island, Flor'Yda with Tenn and Illinois rootsGo figure on MY taste in great BBQ sauce. Add to Cart. I can't say that I didn't like most of it, some more than others.But the first BBQ I remember is what we used to cook ourselves over open pits. I'm a natural health consultant, so I plan to use unrefined coconut sugar in place of the brown sugar, and I'll make my own ketchup. friends & allies fresh coast ipa. At this booth, wine drinkers can snag the Rombauer Zinfandel for $9.50. Posted Tue, May 7 2013 8:27AM, darren Just made your sauce last nite and added tablespoon of honey deliciousPosted Mon, May 27 2013 9:53AM, Fred NOT an eastern NC BBQ sauce. While visiting two of my most favorite people in world in Eastern North Carolina, it was a given we'd be hitting up some local joints like Allen & Son and Ed Mitchell's The Pit. Many old-timers added a small amount of tomato paste (never ketchup) to darken the sauce a little so it could used on both pigs and chickens. My good friend Adam and I made this the other night and he said "Well, I'll suffer that yankee for this sauce. Thanks, Josh for the light-hearted intro and recipe!Posted Wed, Mar 8 2017 11:49PM, Howard I'm following the great ketchup debate with great interest. You might lose some of the pepper "punch" after a while, but that much acid from the vinegar is going to prevent actual spoiling, especially if kept cold.Posted Fri, Jan 15 2016 10:47AM, tbearsghia Being from the middle section of NC The Piedmont Triad Area(Greensboro High Point Winston Salem). That's the beauty of this sauce and why, after posting a seemingly "wrong" recipe, I took a couple years to refine it to what I now consider its proper state. Spring mix, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, onions, and your choice of smoked turkey, chicken breast, or pulled pork (upgrade to brisket for an additional fee, also available without meat) $10.79 +. He appreciates good barbecue, and that is, of course, the great mediator. Its like most home cooked stuff, dont measure, just keep the proportion of ingredients and taste/add ingredients till its to your liking. Of course everyone is free to make and enjoy whatever sauce they like. Josh's version of Carlolina vinegar sauce, whether it be Eastern, Northern, Western, Southern or his own NY style is truely awesome. Great hot sauce with a unique, natural flavor. 0 %--Protein. I feel like you hit the nail on the head as far as a blending of all takes. The only recipes I've found online all call for "a pig's liver," as if that's a useful measurement in this age of buying it by the pound. "NO KETCHUP!" Hope to be able to join one of your get-to-gethers someday. The sauce was thin but red so there was probably ketchup in it. Sorry!Posted Sun, May 18 2014 2:44PM, protomeat This recipe is pretty much exactly a Piedmont or Lexington style North Carolina barbecue finishing sauce. Then be sure to cook thoroughly and let it set. Then we got transferred to Rhode Island. The big jug of it didn't last long! I never measure a thing and its never the same twice- yet pretty close every time. Great sauce even if a NY'orker developed it. Put the onion and garlic in the bottom of your crockpot and pour in the wine. Ive been using this recipe as my starting point for years. BBQ Chicken: Ros, White Zinfandel, Gewrztraminer, Off-Dry Riesling. Ate lunch at Scott's BBq, supper at Wilbur's BBq and Rolaids all the way home to Wilmington.189, Here is a red slaw recipe from Lexington, NCRed Slaw6 lb. It's so nostalgic to taste it ! (Feeds 2-3). The best place to get a good ole southern dinner, the pork was delish and so was the rest of the chicken, hush puppies and so on and so on. 1 teaspoon salt, to taste. :) The sauce I make for all mine is very similar to the OPs. I use 2 cans of petite diced and squeeze by handPut cabbage, peppers, pimento, and tomatoes in large container. Thank you! Bacon, ribs, and tonight, rump roast. I took him to Tolbert's (they started the Terlingua chili cook off) & told him it was the 2nd best chili I've ever had. Add Liquids: Add ketchup, molasses, apple cider vinegar, and water and bring to a simmer. Pour it into loaf pans lined with foil or wrap. The meat is chapped or pulled and carries plenty of flavor without the sugary, tomato based thick glazes that most have to use because the meat was cooked incorrectly in the first place.Posted Thu, Dec 3 2015 1:07PM, p3orion That's true if you want whole-hog barbecue, but some of us prefer the premium cuts like butts and picnics (and also prefer ending up with less than 50 or 60 pounds of the finished product.) From my original post, where the recipe called for only four ingredientscider vinegar, crushed red pepper, ground black pepper, and saltI've added only three additional. I have been eating carolina sauces all my life and cooking it at firestations all over NC. I'm going to try it, and I hope I don't screw it up. City Barbeque menu Cross the border into 'Bama and it has MAYONNAISE in it (the horror! YUCK.I live in Connecticut now and have my own electric smoker so I can make my TN barbecue and my own vinegar sauce. He started quizzing me on the ingredients, I failed to mention the ketchup part to him in fear it would taint his opinion (based on the comments posted here). Pork was cooked for about 18 hours and the chefs were in the back, chopping it up with cleavers. So little of it makes it to th meat that the flavor needs to be strong. Love this on pork. Share 0 Tweet 0 Pin it 0 Fancy +1. What a waste of a good pig..The vinegar sauce must be cooked, or you don't know what you're doing imho !! LowCo Barbeque Sauce. Our BBQ is the best in the country. 1 Serving : 250: Banana Pudding. $9.59+. For example there are many ingredients that are also tangy besides vinegar. Don't forget the slaw, which is another argument all by itself. . Posted Sat, Oct 7 2017 4:56PM, james taylor 190 In an earlier life, I used to travel to Goldsboro for meetings. It is not spicy so skip the Texas thing for NC authenticity. My husband made me hide some for home it was so good! I've even seen folks get red in the face debating exactly how the meat should be cut, whether to use cider or distilled vinegar and how much water, whether to use red or black pepper, etc.. Then comes the sides and how to prepare them, such as plain white bread on the side or a bun if bread is used as all. It is good but whoa! The only change I make is to add 1 heaping tbs of chili powder. Choose meat style: Pulled Pork, Beef Brisket (+ $5), Pulled Chicken, Turkey Breast, Smoked Sausage. Mine turned out very thin. Ingredients Deselect All 4 medium cloves garlic 1 medium onion 2 cups ketchup 1 cup sour mash whiskey 3/4 cup honey 1/2 cup yellow mustard 1/2 cup white vinegar 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup. They have a lady there who does nothing but cook hushpuppies all day, for goodness sake, and hushpuppies show up on the table when the waitress brings the water. 2023 national.restaurant. Was fabulous, my family enjoyed it immensly even though we usually eat my dad's Tennessee sauce on our pork. I lived in Charlotte years ago, and that sauce has still been on my taste budsthe sauce, pickles, and slaw. Maybe even cut them in half after the soak and make deviled eggs from them to go with the 'cue? Please forgive me for the sin of buying bottled bbq sauce, but I found something called Scott's bbq sauce in Harris Teeter up here in Delaware, it worked wonderfully dressing a slow roasted shredded butt and it appears to be both Eastern NC and red in color enough to require matchup to properly emulate it. City Barbeque is a fast-casual restaurant chain that specializes in competition-level barbeque. Posted Wed, Sep 12 2012 12:35PM, Flip Just got a smoker and a 130 lbs of pork. Also as a marinade!!! I know how it is to get a taste for something & have trouble recreating it. We were on a two week vacation in Florida, and on the way home, stopped at Duke's BBQ, which was in my top 3 favorite restaurants (and we visited some great places) and will be trying to come close to those great, thin, vinegar based sauces. The BBQ Central Show is a weekly internet based show that airs live each Tuesday from 9pm-11pm EST originating from Cleveland, Ohio. ", Published on Tue Aug 3, 2010 by Joshua Bousel, Wilfred Reinke I am slowly learning about the different sauces,styles and their roots. Although the sauce is quite strong on spice and tang on its own, when added to the meat, it feels like the natural pork flavor is only enhanced rather than getting a mouth full of hot vinegar. Mr & Mrs. King were educators that had this restaurant on Phillips Ave. Oh my the ribs cooked and the chopped barbecue with cole slaw made your mouth water just thinking of it. I mopped the meats every hr or so with this carolina sauce. (another shall! To distilled vinegar, Red Swine Wine adds tomato paste, sugar, salt and spices to create their tangy concoction. At home, I braise pork shoulders in a crock pot with milk and garlic cloves. Add the cabbage, carrots, pepper, and onions to the bowl with the dressing. ;)He made the perfect chili, I even let the fact there are beans in it slide (Texas chili (competition) does not allow beans. Top notch, A , 5*! Of course, we slow roasted the entire hog outside for 24 hours. Watch on. )I suppose they have their purposes, the "Bama white sauce is pretty good on chicken, But it just ain't "barbecue. Makes no matter wether you want to bicker where the sauce is famous or what part of which state.FACT IS that Josh's "Carlolina Tang" sauce is an awesome blend for pulled pork! For dinner, split a full slab of pork baby back ribs . Franks hot sauce? This is for those of you that prefer a little drier wine thanmy normal recipe.You asked for a wine less sweet and I listened.You will NOT be disappointed in . The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. The beef was chilled and thin sliced for barbeque, fajitas, philly's, italian(chicargo beef) or stroganoff..kb Posted Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:46PM, Susan Patenaude Lived in the Chapel Hill/Durham area for about twelve years, but wasn't sure where the line of demarcation was for the sauces. I know my way around a kitchen and followed the recipe to the tee despite knowing better than to add this much heat! Tastes mainly of vinegar and brown sugar but there's more in there than that.I do very miss that good old BBQ brisket though. $14.39 +. The difference in the cole slaw is extremely different from the yellow Eastern NC version to the red Lexington style slaw. Thank you, again. Oh, and also that it ain't supposed to have no dang cows in it.Posted Tue, Oct 18 2016 7:43AM, Scott P3orion,Your stance on Texas 'cue is fightn' words, sir. Go to Kings, Wilber's, Parker's or Scott's for real Q and learn.Posted Sun, Jan 11 2015 11:04AM, p3orion Don't look now Cahelie, but there's a lot more to North Carolina than just eastern NC, and their barbecue is as good or better. Cook for another 1-2 minutes on the flesh-side until the salmon is cooked through. I won't eat commercial souse or scrapple as they use the cheapest possible ingredients and I have seen it made in those processing facilities.Posted Sun, Dec 6 2015 12:38PM, p3orion Conclusion, I'd sure like to have your livermush recipe. First is dark brown sugar, adding a nice molasses sweetness that balances out some tartness and also deepens the overall color of the sauce. My sister was married on the beach in NC though she was living in Seattle. Thanks again Josh for sharing your recipe. 404-410 Contact me at sp4369@sccoast.net and I will tell you what I think the secret is. In Texas, I could not find Texas Pete at the store. Welcome to 'the melting pot'. Texas Pete is the best, though. red pepper1 quart tomatoes, mashed. I made this and a South Carolina style for tailgating and the Carolina was a hit! Ive tried this recipe and I like it a lot. She would use whatever pork she had on hand. You can certainly substitute another hot sauce, like Tabasco, but Texas Pete has a flavor and history unique to NC, which is why I used it here.Posted Sun, Aug 8 2010 10:07PM, JoshGrillsItAll Have you tried the mustard/vinegar sauces from South Carolina? 7858 Shoal Creek Blvd. Use Josh's Carolina Tang regularly on pulled pork and other meats. We went to Albemarle, NC to Whispering Pines Restaurant for BBQ. I know that stuff had to have been cooked in smoke and it was delicious but smoke flavor was missing. Had to drive to Hursey's in Burlington NC last month while visiting a friend to bring 5# of it home. She'd attended UNC Chapel Hill and was quite fond of NC 'Q!). Enjoy!Posted Fri, Jul 3 2020 10:41PM, steve After all is said and done, the best damn sause was served to me just outside of Durham at "Turnages." I'm afraid Maurice Bessinger warped their taste buds forever.Posted Sun, Dec 6 2015 1:26PM, p3orion I have to say I like Neese's scrapple too, especially doused with some pepper vinegar. I believe this step ended up being pretty crucial, since the sauces that got the heat treatment ended up tasting a little more vibrant and cohesive in the end. For me, I prefer Thai food as prepared in Thailand; Greek as in Athens; NC bbq as written in Eastern NC--save the ketchup for your steak ; ) **Credentials--Chapel Hill born, Wilmington raised and Jackson's Big Oak BBQ**Posted Mon, Jul 10 2017 2:56AM, p3orion Keep in mind that although eastern North Carolina purists are perfectly within their rights to indulge a fanatical insistence on NO KETCHUP, there's a whole lot of North Carolina that is NOT east of Fayetteville, and where people are perfectly willing to follow a more relevant guideline: what tastes good.Posted Mon, Jul 10 2017 9:11AM, James B Taylor Credentials-Portsmouth, VA born, Wadesboro, NC raised, Time in Raleigh, Fayetteville and Wilmington(43 yrs now) BBQ choice Whispering Pines in Albemarle, NC. Check it out - LinkPosted Thu, Dec 15 2016 8:25AM, James Taylor I live in Wilmington, NC but was raised in Wadesboro, NC.