How Is The Mediterranean Sea Helpful To Archaeologists?, Articles W

Jesus referred to sinners as a brood of vipers to remind people that sin can be deceptive and hard to recognize, and that they should strive for righteousness if they want to avoid Gods punishment. Dont take any minister, pastor or friends word for truth. Matthew 5:11-12 Why is the belief of atheism so dangerous for the atheist? Many dangerous theological errors are found throughout the GNT, including distortions of the divinity of Christ, removing references to Jesus blood, misrepresentations of Jesus virgin birth, removing references to hell, salvation being distorted, etc. Jesus promises his disciples a reward in heaven for being persecuted and falsely accused in his name. Blessings my brothers n sisters stay in prayer n God Bless you all. It seems the phrases You are in charge, you can do anything you want, you are ablaze in beauty is meant to replace for thine is the kingdom the power and the glory and the yes yes yes is meant to be a translation for amen. ", The Messagereads: "Don't have sex with a man as one does with a woman. Gossip always distorts and exaggerates, and is never a reliable source of truth. Copies of it appeared on the bookshelf as people chucked it in. In this section of the sermon, Jesus uses the example of wildflowers to illustrate how God provides for all creatures. It's called " The Passion Translation, " written by Brian Simmons of Stairway Ministries. They attempt to validate their erroneous theological claims by editing the Bible as they see fit. Death Valley, I was appalled and immediately went home and read A LOT . (For the record, Paul was not saying here that homosexual couples are incapable of love or that all homosexuals are sex fiends. One person stormed up to me and demanded that I send her no more emails. I also showed church leaders other occult words in The Message such as Light-bearers and Divine Guardians. Do you believe that the KJV did not paraphrase. So, The Messagedoes speak about those who "use and abuse each other, use and abuse sex," but what in the world does that mean? Ephesians 2:2 serves as a reminder that although it may seem like a distant memory, there was once a time when we walked according to the way of this world but now, thanks be to God, we are free! Often when Im studying the scriptures, I will read 3 or 4 versions (and I use the word version: to include Versions, Translations and Paraphrases or Commentaries). The Passion Translation (TPT): proclaim the Word of God and stand upon it no matter what! One need only look at how the cultural mindset of those who use the Message tends towards a theologically liberal or completely postmodern way of looking at things. Jesus is warning the people that they must repent and turn away from their sins if they want to be saved from Gods judgement. Song of Solomon: Most Amazing . Instead of using any of these misleading translations, we would do much better to quote the Word of God faithfully, which is perfect and God-breathed, instead of rewording Gods message to include our biases and personal opinions and beliefs. when you walk at my side. I wish you all the best! (23 October 2018). Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible, extols the Word of God. Reveal who you are. https://www.ebay.com/itm/115037693742 Bible translations will vary between these three categories and it is important to know which translation falls into which category, along with other attributes that will make the translation either a faithful representation of the original, infallible, and inerrant Word of God or a misleading book posing as a Bible. Sometimes we are ignorant because we did not know there was a need to learn something. Daily Christian Prayers reference. The biblical position on controversial social and cultural issues is not immoral, it's not harmful, and it's not unloving. Those who use and abuse each other, use and abuse sex, use and abuse the earth and everything in it, don't qualify as citizens in God's kingdom.". This was the only Bible they could get. The Message translation adds an extra layer of meaning by suggesting that having a generous eye is a way of showing respect for Gods truth. I I still get what The Holy Spirit is teaching me and have benefited Spiritually by it.. He is asking them who directed them to flee from the wrath that is coming. In sum, my view today of The Messageis the same as it has been for years, unchanged by the controversial events of this week. So every version that we read from is a translated interpretation. And the word "abhorrent" is as good a rendering of the Hebrew as is "abomination. Even the publisher of The Message realizes this paraphrase cannot replace a faithful Bible translation, and I would argue further that it has the potential to ultimately mislead. Jonathan Kotyk Cults therefore suppress personal opinion, critical thinking and free exchange of ideas. The Bible, and His word, are not evolving, they are static. Dont let your guard down or forget that at any moment you can be deceived. The Passion is the work of sole translator, Brian Simmons, whose work has been heavily critiqued by the scholarly world. Evangelical Christian Publishers Association, "Introduction to the New Testament, from The Message", "2006 Christian Book Awards Winners - Bibles category", Eugene Peterson interview at a U2 fansite, The Holy Bible from Ancient Eastern Manuscripts, Jewish Publication Society of America Version, New Jewish Publication Society of America Tanakh, New English Translation of the Septuagint, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Message_(Bible)&oldid=1142387790, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Robert L. Hubbard Jr., North Park Theological Seminary (chair), Richard E. Averbeck, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Bryan E. Beyer, Columbia International University, Duane A. Garrett, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Donald R. Glenn, Dallas Theological Seminary, Paul R. House, Beeson Divinity School, Samford University, John N. Oswalt, Asbury Theological Seminary, Prescott H. Williams Jr., Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, William W. Klein, Denver Seminary (chair), Moises Silva, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Rodney A. Whitacre, Trinity School of Ministry. I got some belated support and encouragement. Here are a few really good reasons to be a little bit less confident in your ability to see the clear, intended meaning when you read the Bible: 1. Faith There were phone calls and emails to the minister, as well as people appearing at the church office to complain about me to him in person. He instead uses the 1901 American Standard Version as his foundation. Jesus Embodied God's Grace. And why are they persecuted? Like you, I too have had a past of far left and far right exposure politically and spiritually but these days I am where Jesus was Render unto Caesar what is Caesars and unto God what us Gods Follow the Great Commission. Even in moderation, alcohol use causes significant problemsphysically, mentally, and spiritually. The Message is generally avoided but there is no hard and fast rule. You committed to reading x amount of chapters or studying God's Word for x amount of minutes each day. When bestows glory on anything, its beautiful. Preach in the full expression of the Holy Spiritwith wisdom and patience as you instruct and teach the people. I would challenge you not to believe what I say but to look it up for yourself. " MARGARET FEINBERG, AUTHOR OF FIGHT BACK WITH JOY "The Message is original and refreshing. ", In TheMessagethis becomes, "Don't you realize that this is not the way to live? 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. I just recently found your article that was written in 2017 as I was searching for errors in the Message. How hard are you working at understanding the scriptures? Some simply cut out sections of the Bible altogether or add ideas that were never in the original manuscripts. Be as shrewd as a snake, inoffensive as a dove. Keep us alive with three square meals. The last words in the MESSage are enough to convince me this book is not for me. hallowed be your name, IE. However, as a very free paraphrase, it is sometimes powerful and brilliant while at other times it is seriously off target. Indeed, a day of judgment is coming (2:12-22, 24:1-23), so let all the nations of the earth take heed. Bibles are banned and those found in possession of one face imprisonment, torture and even death - as do up to three generations of their family. The Message (MSG): Don't you realize that this is not the way to live? But use it with caution: It is, by design, a very free paraphrase. This one comes from the New Apostolic Reformation ( NAR) camp, from the brain of one man, a human-appointed "Apostle.". 1:28-32). Clean Up Your Email. ", Dr. Peterson's paraphrase here is vivid and powerful, with nothing watered down or weakened, describing the most debased aspects of homosexual practice in stark, clear terms. Tyndale got a Bible into the hands of the common person. Did the Bible copy other religious myths, legends, and traditions? Speakers were lacking in integrity to feed people from this book without first explaining the many problems with it. That's because by itself, the Bible is not a history book. Related articles What Must Someone Believe in Order to Be Saved? 1. It's been the case from the beginning that Christians are slandered, and one of the worst slanders is to consider our love dangerous. Only the Bible is authoritative and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, as made clear in 2 Timothy 3:16. Would I use it as my only version? Translation is from one language to another. Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil. North Korea - In this totalitarian state, the only thing that North Koreans are permitted to worship is the nation's leader, Kim Jong-un. 2) When pastors preach from it, it encourages people to use it, this is dangerous because the Message is full of errors, false doctrine, and occult philosophy. Learn why this "gospel lite" illusion is such a seductive, powerful delusion for Christians and how you can avoid it in your walk of faith. Ephesians 2:2 reminds us of a time when we were walking according to the way of this world. The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language ( MSG) is a paraphrase of the Bible in contemporary English. Keep that in mind constantly and before searching for the truth, every single time dont forget You reject me therefore I will reject you, not only does satan deceive but also its God that blinds unbelievers, but will unblind if he chooses, so desire, ask Yahweh ( God) to remove your veil and guide you on your search for the truth and for the protection from satanic deception so youll not be deceived. His interpretation provides us with a deeper understanding of Jesus message, and can be applied to our lives today. your will be done, Gossip often thrives upon secrecy. Your email address will not be published. Hostility to it is hostility to the. There was no malice in eating and therefore not offensive. The Sabbath day is Saturday. Youre ablaze in beauty! He guides me along the right paths Rooted in his "translation" philosophy, Peterson has produced a "Message" which is nothing more than a commentary published as a translation. Pastors should not be encouraging people to us such a book, since it fills peoples heads with error. The Message promotes the mystical New Age message with a boldness never seen in a mainstream Bible. I have enjoyed listening to Peter Hobbs reading message audio on youtube. Michael Brown holds a Ph.D. in Near Eastern Languages and Literatures from New York University and has served as a professor at a number of seminaries. I ended up hearing The Message defined as all kinds of things to try to dismiss the problem that it tampered with scripture a practice which the Bible itself condemns. The Message Bible translation by Eugene H. Peterson is a paraphrase of the scriptures using modern English, the author claims he is trying to make the Bible understandable to the average person. Your email address will not be published. Jews believed the temple in Jerusalem was the only proper place to worship God. Other translations have just one translator, thereby single-handedly taking on a role that is meant for a diverse team of renowned biblical translators of various denominations. We have to read them for what they say, not for what we want them to say. If the Bible is the truth, then ignoring it is ignoring the truth. Former Pastor: If there is a God, does he even make a difference? Tyndale was killed by the Catholic Church because the Catholic Church did not want the common person to have a Bible. First, the Bible is dangerous to ignore. How is the Bible inspired? Contempt for it is contempt for the truth. Smoking cigarettes is a sin. Jesus saying about having a generous eye probably refers to Gods blessing on those who are generous with their resources and time. Lets all be careful and remember William Tyndale who first translated the bible to English but encountered fierce opposition and was killed(burnt at stake) but his work has a very large impact on the King James Version (the most accepted version of the bible) The scene in Oslo after Christian terrorist, Anders Breivik, struck. God's cautions are for our good, and ignoring His guidance and commands opens us up to being misled. "The Message offers vibrant language that awakens my heart to the wonders of God's Word again and again. 9 Pray along these lines: Our Father in heaven, we honor your holy name. Unjust people who don't care about God will not be joining in his kingdom. I continued my protest. Remember almost the entire word is deceived. 713 I remember complaining that if the church hall was hired for a function, as it often was, a member of the local community could come in, pick up the copy of The Message from the bookshelf and read a false gospel in it. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. However, I found that often The Message is a wonderful commentary as it helps gel the other versions in a better light for me. Some people explode when they cannot have it. The purpose of the Bible What is it? They read a passage of The Message that theyve written down or read it from an app on their cell phone. 5) Contemporary English Version (CEV) - This translation is another work by the American Bible Society, commonly referred to as the Bible for Today's Family. Many believers enjoy reading The Message because of its modern appeal; however, it is important to recognize . This premise, however, is dangerous and has been the cause of much bigotry, intolerance, injustice and pain.The truth is that there is no proof that this collection of books is the Word of God. 9 "This, then, is how you should pray: Doing so would be like saying that the fire used in the sacrifice is also evil. Look for Part 2 of this article, where we will review the top 5 Bible translations to use. Favorites and Bookmarks for your favorite bible verses. He did not say Peterson did not speak Gods Attributes in his rendition of Lords Prayer, he said the original text did not so there-for Peterson should not have added it to the prayer. Help keep The Christian Post free for everyone by making a one-time donation today. In my opinion, The Message is a bit like the ring in Lord of the Rings: theres always someone who thinks it will be all right to use it and who doesnt want to let go of it. The Message Bible has become a field manual for false teachers. Garbage. . And so I tell you, Peter: you are a rock, and on this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it. ", In fact, you might even turn to your partner as you read the verses together and say, "That doesn't describe us! Copyright 2023, The Bottom Line Ministries. ", The Message reads: "Worse followed. It is specifically targeted toward U.S. English . It depends, largely, on how you read it with what prejudices and with what intellectual background. And light appeared. Not the first. Yes. Rather than allowing the Bible to expand his understanding, Peterson has often contracted the Bible to fit his own ideas, omitting those bits that he cannot fit, and adding his own material in far too many places. Its always better to refer to Scripture than to quote any pastor, preacher, biblical scholar, theological professor, etc., no matter where they are in their walk with Christ. Instead, he became way too cute with words in general, taking away from the clarity of the original and even introducing some foreign concepts. 4) Good News Translation (GNT) - Also known as the Good News Bible (GNB), the GNT was created by the American Bible Society as a translation that would be simple enough for anyone to easily pick up and understand, including individuals learning the English language and children. as we also have forgiven our debtors. (To get more detail on The Living Bible, see Michael Marlowes detailed review here on bible-researcher.com). The abandonment of the King James Bible by our churches has not been a good thing. For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. In this powerful message, Pastor Doug investigates a very real threat facing the church in the last days: Satan's plan to neutralize the transforming power of the gospel. Abortion isnt a sin if you cant hear a heartbeat or if the BABY was conceived via rape or incest. The simplicity of the English used in this translation has made it a popular choice for evangelists; it was even used at Billy Graham crusades. The message of the book of Isaiah to the world begins with warning. I always have my NKJV Bible with me and when I saw what was on the screen it did appear correct from what I read in the NKJV. You are really understanding mans word, not Gods by using this commentary/paraphrase. However, he has noticed that some portions of The Message cannot be linked to anything in the Greek text, indicating that additional meaning was added. It's no wonder the Bible consistently warns against it. Verse Concepts. 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. The Message is not only a poor paraphrase, but it is, in fact,heretical. So notice: The Bible is not meant to be placed on a shelf, but to be in your hands, to read oftenevery day, both on your own and together with others.". Other times, we are ignorant because we have chosen not to learn something we need to know. It is specifically targeted toward U.S. English speakers with its use of American contemporary slang. Im not afraid Witnesses, who also changed the Bible around to fit what they wanted to say, they created the NWT Bible. As translated in the ESV, Paul wrote, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? The New International Looking back to past success can be very dangerous to our progress, and might hinder us from living out a life that grows more abundant with each coming day. We love each other, and we're not using or abusing each other.". I just read your comments on the message bible and I agree that it is dangerous for Christians who are not seasoned in the word. Heather, theres more to it than that. When studying the Word of God, one needs an authentic representation of the original autographs (the original manuscript of each of the 66 books of the Bible) while avoiding sources that would distort the original message from God. and send me in the right direction. Your worldview is different. Authored by Eugene H. Peterson and published in segments from 1993 to 2002, [2] the MSG falls on the extreme dynamic end of the dynamic and formal equivalence spectrum. He helps me do what honors him the most. They would just avoid the passages that had those words in them. Later, when I started dating a woman (now my wife) at the church, she was warned that I was at the centre of controversy. I told the minister that if they kept on reading passages from this book over me, I would stand up in the service and expose it. Keep pressing into the Lord!