How Long Do Baby Crayfish Stay With Their Mother, Articles W

This anger is often directed at the medical system that is making you wait for your diagnosis. We hope that you have found the information about What To Say To Someone Waiting For Medical Results that interests you. Cut out caffeine as it overstimulates the nervous system and can increase panic, nutritionist Rosie Mansfield says. Verywell Health uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Waiting for the results of a medical test, or for a diagnosis, can be agonizing. Our website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. And be thankful. Lord, I ask that you take absolute control as I undergo a crucial medical test today. They can do so as long they verify it's you. A 14bn plan to reduce NHS backlogs caused by Covid is failing to meet targets, with cancer waiting times at their worst-ever levels, parliament's spending watchdog . But think about ways you might cope to help yourself achieve some degree of comfort and peace of mind while you're waiting. What do you say to someone who is nervous about surgery? You held me close throughout the period of waiting for my test results. If you're taking medications for chronic conditions, regular in-person appointments can help you stick to the treatment regimen. The anxiety of not knowing can be all-consuming. So your main task during this waiting period is to manage your anxiety. If you're tested during or after your appointment, ask: You can then contact your insurance provider to get a clearer understanding of their policies. Show the doctors what they need to see on my x-ray. ~Psalm 94:19. How do you stay calm when waiting for medical results? Sympathy is a turn off for me; I'm not dead, just scared! What do you say to someone awaiting cancer results? We did manage a toast to health, and once again cursed the evil bastards who, in my cynical mind, think nothing of taunting those of us challenged by cancer with our very survivorship. 6. If he has to make a choice, may he make it now. You may feel shocked, scared, concerned or uncertain on behalf of your loved one, said Anne Moyer, an associate professor of psychology at Stony Brook University. Above all, please guide my doctors while they look over my test results and give them the insight they need to interpret them correctly. You may feel impatient with your spouse or friends. Even before the pandemic, plenty of studies have found that waiting for medical test results can cause . One of the best things you can say is, Just tell me if you want me to leave or stop askingyou cant offend me! Winawer suggested. Verywell Health uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. This will make them less anxious. Breast cancer survivor Elissa Ashwood coped with her diagnosis by breaking it down into chapters. There are many online communities dedicated to family caregivers, and this might be helpful for your loved ones. As you may have guessed Im extremely enthusiastic about prayer. Also, stay with me as I await the results, which I do not doubt will be good ones. I pray that my results will be normal so I can glorify you with a healthy body. If this includes you, then you may enjoy some of the memes about waiting for test results weve gathered below. If you're struggling to find the right words, here are 12 kind things to say to someone with cancer: 1. However, sometimes the angry feelings burst out inappropriately, like on the lab technician whos trying to take your blood sample for a test. A 2013 US study found that Googling symptoms can trigger worries about medical bills, job loss and disability before a diagnosis is even made. Higher levels of cortisol would indicate higher levels of stress. You're the bravest person I know, and you will get through this. What to say to a friend who has received bad news? Yes, it does! Nancy Irwin, a therapist and clinical hypnotist, has six suggestions for people who are waiting for test results to come back. Here are 13 words of encouragement for sick person who just got diagnosed with a terrible illness: 01 "I know you are worried about this diagnosis, but you've always been a fighter. Sending you lots of feel-better hugs. I hate it when my favorite people get hurt. And if you say these words, make sure you mean them, and support them through thick and thin. Feel the feelings Let them out, give your anxiety, your worry your darkest fears a voice. Stress and anxiety may also prevent you from focusing on routine activities such as cooking, studying, and reading. If youre stuck in a hospital waiting room, it can be tempting to indulge in junk food from the vending machine, but a healthy diet can lower anxiety levels. It's bad enough that it took forever to schedule an appointment that started an hour late, but now all you can do is go home and stare at your phone, waiting for it to ring. Yet when the danger we are considering comes from our thoughts, rather than an acute and readily apparent danger in our midst (such as a lion attacking) the reaction can lead to further anxiety and stress, causing physical responses such as increased heart rate, rapid breathing, and more. So, instead of allowing anxiety to get the best of you, you should channel your energy into praying for good results when you are awaiting a test outcome. 5. , You Choose When to Talk about Your Cancer. J | I hope you're feeling better now, and I can't wait to see you get back to your normal routine. K | Whatsoever illness is hiding in my body, turn it around in my favor and return full movement back in my bones. Sometimes you need to know more than just "positive" or "negative.". God uses waiting to change us. Precious Holy Spirit, I declare that this test result I am currently expecting will not be an introduction to ill health in my life. Let us know in the comments below. Quotations About Waiting For Someone. what to say to someone waiting for medical results. Thank you, Most Loving God, because you are the one who specializes in turning bad reports into good ones. Dont ask what you can do to help or say, Let me know if you need anything. Many people will never ask for help even though they need it. Youve waited long enough, and today is finally the day you get your results. Isaiah 12:2 NIV Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust and will not be afraid. I am grateful that you allowed me to lean on you when I was most vulnerable and anxious. Then I will either wait for him or forget him." Paulo Coelho, By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept American Psychological Association. Were looking to feature moments in which someone interrupted their busy life to lend a hand to someone they didnt know. Ultimately, underneath it all, when you're waiting for that scary results (potential bad news), you're wondering if you're going to die. And you might have to deal with symptomssuch as dizziness, nausea, or painwhile you're waiting for an answer. It can divinely turn around the outcome of any medical test when waiting for the result. Thank you for being with me during my biopsy. Often, just being able to hear from someone who has felt the same things is an enormous help, reminding you that you are not alone. When You Need an Appointment Healthcare providers order lab tests for four main reasons: To diagnose a condition To see if a treatment is effective To track the progression of a chronic illness To check for a recurrence of a treated condition The test results may be simple and straightforwardsay, positive or negative. Waiting for test results. Please heal my bones where I need healing, so I can ease moving henceforth. It is always okay to ask your healthcare provider about treatment guidelines or why a test or appointment is being recommended. There was a strange silence between us as if the celebration of life had been rained on by the unnecessary struggle with uncertainty over the last four days. You may feel tense and your mind may be troubled with how this diagnosis may affect you and your loved ones. they changed their minds and began to say that he was a god. 7. Thank you, Loving God, because I know you will spare my family and me the stress of a severe diagnosis. Dont tell the person it will be okay because in reality no one really knows if it will or not, Sanders said. Remind your friend to take slow, deep breaths and breathe with them. Pray for peace so that the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard both your heart and mind. Activities that are immersive and require your complete focus . Most of all, I ask that you give me the grace to always maintain a healthy lifestyle and good food diet from now on so that I will always be well nourished. Remember that your feelings are normal. W | In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What were they not telling me? Please show the doctors what they need to see and give them the ability to fix my bones in the proper position so that I will be relieved of this pain. An appointment gives you an opportunity to talk about: It can also help avoid confusion over what the results mean. Trisha Torrey is a patient empowerment and advocacy consultant. Ideally this person is someone who can also remind you of God's love and continuous care. Consider talking to someone who is willing to listen and to be compassionate, like a friend, counselor, a clergyperson, or a peer in a support group. Mentally, I had prepared for the event of having the blood drawn, but it caught me off guard how quickly anxiety crept into my mind about the actual results of the test that we had to wait for. All rights reserved. Heres how it can feel to be at home, waiting for the phone call. Please be with him at this crucial time. Family Practice. Nationwide News Pty Ltd 2023. 2. Nurses often say that they've witnessed many patients and families yelling at medical staffand at each other. I can hear it has been really hard for you to share, thank you for sharing. My husband was very adept at helping my friends navigate my ego.. Father God, I come before you asking for good results for the urinalysis I had undergone. Dear Lord, thank you also because I will enjoy many more years in good health. Christina Pandapas, who was diagnosed with stage 3 colorectal cancer at age 46, agreed that simple gestures often go a long way. When you're waiting for medical test results or a potential diagnosis for yourself or your baby, time seems to come to a grinding halt. Test result communication in primary care: clinical and office staff perspectives. They had an uncanny sense of timing. Offer to spend time with them and keep them busy. One of the best things you can say is, "Just tell me if you want me to leave or stop askingyou can't offend me!". Dont Stop planning for the future, including what youre going to have for dinner. Think about practical strategies to simplify your life. Ask what kind of friend the person needs you to be. May your divine presence be with me as always and bless me with good results in this routine procedure. Psalm 56:3 NIV When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. I need strength as I head to the hospital today. - Jayden Hayes. Mary Kugler, RN, is a pediatric nurse whose specialty is caring for children with long-term or severe medical problems. The longer you have to wait, the more you may have ups and downs, and the more intense your feelings may become. Some people find it helpful to connect with a support group (or an online community, especially with rare diseases) which offers the opportunity for you to talk with others who have experienced the same situation that you are going through. But now youre at work, and its still difficult to be productive when the results are looming in the back of your head. G | P | Before visiting, giving advice, and asking questions, ask if it is welcome. Waiting a long time for a diagnosis that has serious implications can lead to feelings of having no control over things or being overwhelmed. | This article will look at when it's needed, when it's not, and how to set expectations with your healthcare provider. Colossians 3:15 NIV Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body, you were called to peace. Each person can experience some or all of them, and you might experience some at different times than others. Abba Father, peradventure, it turns out unfavorable; I ask that you take me toward the path of healing. Waiting for THE CALL got me like #justkeepwaiting #lularoequeueclub #lularoe, A post shared by LuLaRoe Danielle Meek (@lularoedaniellemeek) on Jul 1, 2016 at 9:13am PDT. All rights reserved. Whatever youre feeling is okay. Check her story out in the book, A Letter to My Mom.. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Immediately upon leaving the mobile scan machine, it was once again 2009 and I was walking out of my first CT scan trying to read the faces of the technicians who had monitored the process. It can help to learn about the condition you might be facingbut don't rush that processyou will be ready to know more when the time is right for you. We have collected a lot of medical information. Dear Father, though this is a routine check I must have, there is always a possibility that a serious medical condition may be discovered. Now youre sitting in the waiting room, surrounded by other people who are just as nervous as you are. Remember when you went in for a biopsy, CT scan or blood work a few days ago, and your doctor said shed call back with the test results, but she didnt? Matthew 11:28-30 NIV Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Engage in Relaxing and Joyful Activities Feelings of stress and anxiety while waiting for the test results can make you become restless and fidget with objects around you. 10 Things to say to someone with a chronic illness. Make a follow-up appointment beforehand if the results might be something you need to discuss. 1. Mark 4:40 NIV He said to them, Why are you so afraid? She faced 33 rounds of radiotherapy and decided to wear a different dress to each one, then documented it on a blog (33dresses.com). It might be natural to offer to help by saying, Let me know if you need anything at all. However, that can put a person dealing with an illness in an awkward position of having to think of a way for you to assist them, said Nick Arquette, founder and CEO of Walk With Sally, a nonprofit that provides services to families impacted by cancer. Sitting in silence may just be what the other person needs. If youve ever been sent home from the doctors clinic with the words Well have your results in a week, youll know the next seven days can feel like an eternity. "There is actually something happening while nothing is happening. Were told that at this present moment, it is the focus at the heart of the meditation/mindfulness movement that promises to end mental anguish. Our website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. By Mary Kugler, RN 2014;31(5):592-597. doi:10.1093%2Ffampra%2Fcmu041. If you do want to ask about their treatment or how they are feeling, try What is the latest?. Lastly, Alison and Brian urge you: dont over-promise! 3. If you decide to use the healthcare provider, be sure to review the Terms of Agreement included in any intake documents you sign. You should pray miracle prayers for healing for a divine intervention concerning whatever the doctors have discovered through your tests. It seems reasonable to me to be feeling sad. Remove all your fears and have faith . I wish I knew exactly what to say, but I dont. We asked the CaringBridge community, many of whom have experienced this exact situation, their thoughts on what to say during these hard times. Waiting for test results related to your cancer, chronic illness or other condition can be nerve-wracking (to say the least). Try viewing your time waiting for results as an exercise to practice being patient. This Waiting for Medical Test Results Prayer can help lower your stress level and rely on God as you wait. Waiting for test results can be a nerve-wracking experience. Here's what they had to say: 1. Please surround me with your grace today as I await favorable test results. Amen. In the morning, as soon as . This article describes the common emotions you might face when waiting for a diagnosis and provides some suggestions for coping with these feelings. Posted on May 28, 2021 by May 28, 2021 by ~ Isaiah 26:3. Litchfield IJ, Bentham LM, Lilford RJ, Greenfield SM. All it really means, though, is that the test didn't detect the virus. A recent study by Harvard University found the limbo period of waiting for test results can elevate stress levels as much as finding out you have a life-threatening illness. Increased optimism while we are waiting for important news can decrease our stress. . "Things will be better after your surgery." Sign up for our Premium service. They have a tough job. Psalms 84:11 NIV For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. In addition, may my blood count come out normal or be in a range with a straightforward course of action. Her work has been published in medical journals in the field of surgery, and she has received numerous awards for publication in education. May the MRI be successful. Spending time with them doing normal activities watching TV shows, taking a yoga class, walking the dog and having conversations that dont involve their condition can be a much-needed respite. . A note to remind you that I love youand I hate that you're sick. Photo: Yulia Reznikov/Getty Images. 2023 Dotdash Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Follow-up labs can tell you whether your strategies are working. The phone rings and you pick up. Second, mistakes happen. Pray effective prayers for good medical tests and favorable results. It allows us to deal with situations out of our control with more grace and less stress, which is good for our mental health as well as our physical health. It may be better to wait until a diagnosis is made before looking for more information. Lord Jesus, may the x-ray be clear and easy to read and understand. Its either because of their insecure nature or their fear of rejection. Or simply offer to go for a walk in the fresh air, so that he or she can open up and vent if need be. Send them soothing Scriptures to alleviate their anxious feelings and replace them with peace and calmness. Sanders, who wasnt able to leave her house due to her accident, said that her relationships and social life suffered. E | I receive grace to remain steadfast and patient as I expect the test results in the mighty name of Jesus Christ. In some cases, testing once or twice a year may be enough. Merciful God, thank you for providing the doctors who treat and heal illnesses and diseases. You are also agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. I also request that you guide my radiologist to make wise and knowledgeable suggestions to my doctors afterward. We have strong faith in you. Also, provide my doctors with all the information they need to resolve every issue I complained about finally. May they discover what is really going on with my health. Thank you, {{form.email}}, for signing up. Unfortunately, its also inevitable that well all deal with this kind of situation in life.