Susan Venables Pictures, Se7en How Was Sloth Alive, Articles S

In order to bridge this gap, you would need to go through a 1GB switch. Make implementing good file and folder naming conventions a part of your business and your life. You access this OS via its web interface the way you do a router , but DSM behaves like any other desktop OS within the web page. I figured that writing down my experience would not only help me make the best decisions but hopefully help others who experienced my same helplessness. 1. You can sync or backup data across multiple (hundreds of) devices in real time. Dependent on the number of drives they can house, their hardware specs, and release year, youll see names like DS1621+, RS1619xs, FS1018, and so on. We already know the size of the hard drives we want so all that is left is to choose the brand. Hi Dong: I hear you, Aaron. It simply means the capabilities are less than the series above them. I generally use WD Red and Seagate IronWolf HDDs, Andy. WS2016FS_SMB_HDD_01. You can turn on this feature for all the user accounts on the server, and each account will have its own private sync/backup space. Note: If your image have more than one HDD, then HDD's name last letter will change in alphabetic sequence: hda, hdb, hdc., virtioa, virtiob,virtioc Thank you for the great reviews! Using latest Chrome on latest Windows build. You cant stop others from attacking your server, Mike. Whether you are an existing Synology NAS drive owner, hoping to migrate from a particularly old system or just keeping an eye on the changing tides of tech at the big brand in network-attached storage, the periodic refresh of the Synology hardware portfolio is generally something that is much anticipated. I just bought the DX517, because my DS920+ is almost full. You are incredibly nice to answer so quickly. (Advanced Option) This is where you will set the naming convention for the folder that contains the video file. Synology do what they do very well and on the large scale of things is worth it (I havent had to splash out for upgrades). For consumers, this is excellent news when it comes to ease of buying. The drawer below will give you a list of servers and their supported volume sizes. There are three parts to the names, the leading letters, the numbers, and the ending letter(s)/characters. JavaScript is disabled. The naming of your TV Show folder is critical to ensure the scrapers can correctly identify the TV Show and its episodes.. TV Show Name (Year) - This is the correct naming format for the TV Show folder The TV Show folders are saved inside the Source folder; Adding the (Year) makes scraping more accurate and differentiates between . May be unrelated but when i try to configure the external access, the RT-AX89X is not listed in the list of routers for automatic configuration. Id stick with ready-made servers, building a customized NAS is fun but troubleshooting can be daunting. Subscribe! In a NAS this is very important because it helps reduce the possible errors that could be getting injected into your data. A neat way to visualise this is to use the tool on Synologys website, which will also explain what will happen if you use a different RAID type from SHR, such as RAID0 or 5. Processor speeds have increased through the generations, so the latest DS216 is far faster than the DS212, leading to an increase in interface smoothness, transfer speeds and video-transcoding performance. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. But I keep an open mind on the matter. Heres my questions We had a ds414j running 3x3TB disks as one SHR volume. The purpose was as the main storage for my wifes business files, mostly word and excel docs and massive outlook psts. Movies are by far the easiest filename to format because they are generally a single file. This feature also means you can have an advanced network setup without getting additional hardware. Is there a delay to the database update? (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Synology VideoStation Movie & TV Folder Naming Conventions. Make sure you confirm via the link in the email. This function works within the local network or over the Internet (via QuickConnect or a Dynamic DNS connection). Good article, I am a Synology fan. It seems simple, but to me its confusing. My original plan was to expand volumes across the two units and switch from SHR to SHR2, but now I am reading a lot about spanning volumes across two units being a bad idea. The move means the servers are now much more powerful for general tasks. All I can do is give you two pieces of advice that I think will help. Another question I have a group of animations in the default Movies folder and the titles are NOT alphabetized. Before you can pick a Synology NAS you must be able to break down their model names. One big issue is encryption of the backups. Let's look at an example to try to make things a bit clearer. But it never hurts to have a server with more bays. Commentdocument.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a07c348ca7236340828e8a0b5b359006" );document.getElementById("e141a2b30a").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Sign me up for Dong Knows Tech's newsletter. 1. So my question to you paraphrasing Mr. W.C. Fields apocryphal epitaph: All things being equal between a DIY Rackmount with up to 36 Bays and your Synology solutions, which would you choose? That leaves us with the sweet spot of 4 to 8 drive bays. I cut my NAS teeth on a DS1512+ at work several years ago. Available in all server that supports the new Btrfs file system most Synology server released in the past decade do the Snapshot Replication is an excellent add-on security feature. DS1821+ and a guide to hardware upgrades on Synology NAS servers. Thank you for all the great reviews. Synology NAS and Hard Drive Compatibility in 2022 Should I Be Worried? Standard mid-range model, more powerful than j range, Powerful processor, hardware encryption for video transcoding, Super-budget model, single-core processor, small amount of RAM, Intel-powered NAS. You connect your NAS to an expansion unit with a single cable which is a large point of failure. All you need to do is register a unique name. What Is a Naming Convention? Any help would be great. So it seems some of my older units are from 2013 and 2015and you know what, theyre still awesome on dsm 6 for just being storage, easily maxing out gigabit even with a single drive. Im in the process of upgrading and again are assessing the two companies. Plex media naming conventions There is a specific format that you must use to arrange your media in order to have Plex identify it. , It is still a huge issue, having your NAS constantly attacked. All Synology servers released in the past few years share a similar design. Would the 923+ and 1522+ be about the same except for capacity (Figure I would eventually upgrade memory, so Im not worried about the difference in out-of-box memory)? The runner-up is TerraMaster, of which the TNAS OS is leaner (than QTS) but still years behind Synologys DSM in functionality. These are the most powerful devices Synology has to offer. Most available (and realistically priced) generations of enterprise hardware can be had for bargain basement prices (given normal caveats on purchasing from vendors you trust and knowing what you are actually purchasing) on etailers like Ebay. On the Synology side, i just have to enable LA by creating a Bond in the Network Interface section. But you cant have everything! Having some weird issues with the scroll bar disappearing and my mouse up/down buttons not scrolliing the page either. Generally, each tray can house either a 3.5-inch (desktop) or a 2.5-inch (laptop) drive. The price jump from the Plus to the XS+/XS is quite large and anyone reading this article is probably not going to be doing enough heavy work that they need the extra horsepower. It required MUCH more care and feeding than the Synology, and Im regretting recommending QNAP to one of my clients. Using multiple volumes can be a good practice since it gives you more options for backup and replication. I have a DS1512+ that seems a bit slow with things like NABnzdb, Radarr, etc., and Im thinking of upgrading. You use QuickConnect or DDNS to access your server via the web interface or the DS Cam mobile app. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Standardized CNAME Structure Start with your registered domain, and segment each piece of additional information as a proper subdomain going down from there. I will note one major change to Synology products that may have taken effect since the original publishing date of this article Synology no longer universally works with all make of drives. I use Artist- TrackNum - Song Title.mp3 as my naming convention for my personal library, and it appears that YTM just stripped off the "Artist - " part of the equation. The website is an easy part as long as you know how to do it. You don't want to wake up one morning and find out that one of your hard drives failed and now you've lost all the photos of your child's first year. With heavy use of the ip camera recording. After reading your article I am wondering if we are using the server best. And make sure you read my post on the Surveillance Station. July 4, 2022 synology naming conventionbritish white cattle for sale in washingtonbritish white cattle for sale in washington The unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts. I've tried going through and giving things consistent naming conventions for both files and folders, but generally only the first season registers, and the other seasons don't show up anywhere. Buy Western Digital Red Plus hard drives. Sure it's not the coolest looking car and doesn't have flashy gimmicks inside but it is a car that will get you from point A to point B. If youre tech-savvy, you can figure things out quite quickly. Accessing the server directly means you wont need to store data on the computer, which is great if you want to share the same data with others in the network or your computer has limited space. One thing kept me up at night trying to figure out why, was it never put the disks to sleep and even after disabling everything but the absolute minimum features/software, it still had a process (to do with RAID) doing a tiny write every few seconds. Ive been using this for years and once you get used to it, its very powerful you can even rename multiple folders full of filenames at once, trim white space, search/replace and if youre really hardcore, use Regular Expressions. This works for models such as the DS116 (one drive bay) and DS216 and DS416 but youll occasionally come across a model that doesnt fit this format the DS1515, for example, has five bays. Do I assume 5 bays at 2TB gives me a total of 10TB of storage with 5TB mirrored? If you anticipate wanting to find a file by date, then put the date first. And yes, if you have a 2-bay server, RAID 1 is a must as I explained in the SHR section. Is that a possible issue? Hi Dong, Im very curious why you did not comment on the usefulness of Photo Station / Moments. We have seen in the past where a third-party drive maker has validated drives and then later updates their firmware without telling us so that their drives are no longer compatible. I was curious about your explanation of RAID 1. But thanks to the stellar DSM operating system, you still pay for what you get in most cases. Very interested in this topic. Install the WordPress package, and you can make your server host any site, including one like the one youre reading, locally or worldwide. http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php, https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/VideoStation/category, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/weemple-video-tools/9njrdv6jzn76, https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/DSM/tutorial/How_to_apply_for_a_personal_API_key_to_get_video_info. It is but unfortunately the maximum number of hard drives supported does not always equal the number of drive bays your NAS will have. The number of drive bays spans the entire game of series. Well, thats true for all servers none can handle unlimited storage space. I was one of the smart ones who had unattached backups and didnt lose anything. i have this labeling issue with bunch of TV Shows. Its safe to say it wont be my last. ago. Hello. Thanks. need to expand your storage), you'd buy the respective DX or RX model. Of the many Synology NAS servers Ive used, I had issues with just one, the DS1515+, which died after almost four years of non-stop operation. naming-authority is the reverse syntax of the Internet domain name of the naming authority. To ensure this is possible, every member of the editorial staff follows a clear code of conduct. Slide to complete the puzzle * Use 8 or more characters. So if you're looking for a model that sits on top of a desk (as most home users would), then you want a DS model. It could well be that the parser has improved/changed since I wrote that though so I still appreciate the post! I would rather not go through and individually edit the information in Video Station, especially as this would do nothing for those files that don't show up anywhere. In addition, it has only a USB 2 rather than USB 3 port for an external storage device so appears to be a false-economy overall. The unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts. There are options to have both with Synology right now but youll have to pay for their enterprise servers which are a lot more expensive. My first personal server, the DS410, released in 2010, as the name suggests, still works. I dont know anyone that watches based on alphabetical order of the titles, however I would like to either start at the beginning of the series or watch the 5th episode. The aim is to have a single point of storage (the Synology DiskStation NAS), but two separate libraries - one one the Vero 4K with Kodi/thetvdb.com scraper, and one on . It will leave you with no room for expansion and barely let you take advantage of the benefits of a Synology NAS. Designed to fill a niche between DS216 and expensive business models, Same as above, with newer processor (as previous processor discontinued). Groundhog Day.mp4. Furthermore, generally, Synology servers require Synology-approved hardware RAM, network cards, hard drives, SSDs, etc. We manage almost 30 Synology NAS servers. mean. are literally 3-4 pages long, and there is also a view of this video. Another common method is simply using series folders, especially for shows that are organized by air date and those without seasons. Beyond that are xs and xs+ models. Also while we are on the topic of RAM, increasing your RAM is the easiest way to increase the performance of your NAS. The last two digits are the model year. https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/VideoStation/category. So, 5-bay is the sweet spot. After years of experience with all different NAS brands, since 2020, I have decided to no longer actively seek to try any NAS server but those from Synology. And theres one more thing. Undo the bond and try again, this time with a bit of attention. Or you can get the same model from two years ago that maybe doesn't have everything but it'll suit you just fine. I just remember I felt in control of DSM and any of the synology apps I tried worked perfectly, whereas QTS has a few issues, including thumbnail generation that did all images on volume not just chosen folders and it did this in an endless loop even as far as ver 5.0.1 if I remember correctly. This is accomplished easily with MakeMKV and using the following steps: Place the Blu-ray disc in the reader, and then open MakeMKV. But yes, its quite an excellent app to use. Not sure if the J support it, but generally, using the NAS is a great way to keep your data safe from ransomware/virus via the Backup and Replicator app which shadow-copies your data. I have been putting my Inspector Montalbano/Commissario Montalbano TV series in a /video/Italian TV/ folder identified in VS as Italian TV library with Italiano as the language. At the time that I bought my Synology (a DS1513+), I wasn't looking in the 2-4 bay versions where you find most of those suffixes to the model, so I didn't worry much about figuring out what they mean. Thanks. How do I make the first Doc West movie have the correct information? If the NAS could function as a Time Machine(s) for incremental backups that would be fantastic. probably by giving the list of best 2 bay NAS from top to bottom. I do know that the play versions have a hardware chip for transcoding video on the fly when using the DS Video app on your Synology box for streaming media to your other devices. There are many ways for that, too, depending on what you want to do. Its a shadow copy feature that automatically saves a version of the servers data, by shared folder, on a schedule. Synology typically upgrades their models every two years so a DS1819+ is really only one release behind the DS1821+. Ive worked on most Synology home and SMB servers, starting with the first servers released over a decade ago. On these hardware restrictions, a representative from Synology recently told me: [] We continue to want to raise the standard for validating compatibility between drives and our units to ensure consistent and reliable operation for our solutions. The added power consumption of course is a factor as is the space necessary to set up a rack (but that can be done in a closet or basement often as not) and of course they are noisy. For more information about the use of the Synology logo, please contact [email protected]. Synology NAS And Hard Drive Compatibility In 2022 Should I Be Worried? There are several series of products: j for junior (DS215j, but SE, air and slim are also here), these are for beginners and home users. Maybe a period or an underscore. You express a preference several times for 4-6 bay systems, I assume that is because that many drives gives you the flexibility to choose whatever RAID fits your needs best. There are three volume size limits, 16TB, 108TB, and 200TB. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The former wont require an adapter, not even screws in newer servers. My statement above used to be true almost exclusively. Just didnt want to scare anyone away from RAID 1, its perfect for someone using an entry level Synology with 2 bays that is upgrading from an external USB hard drive. I understand that DS 2** is 2 bay and 4** is bay(then there is 2 bay which is 7** which I guess ara expandable with 5 bay unit hence 7**) but what with +, Play, J, SE. Question about the NAS servers. People should know if youre going to run one with external internet access they need to only allow it via a VPN connection. To sign in using Video Station login portal: Make sure your computer and Synology NAS are on the same local network. it makes it difficult to deal with files when there are spaces in the directories and names. I admit to feeling frustrated that Synology still doesnt put 10Gbit on the motherboard and requires add in cards to get NVMe caching nor puts USB-C gen2 onboard, but I hope that the market will pull them that way. We were able to access files from any of the laptops around our home office as well as her desktop, which was right next to the synology box. Your email address will not be published. Every Synology NAS follows the same naming convention: Starts with two letters representing the form factor. TV Show - It should follow the format: TV show name.SXX.EYY.ext. RAID 1 of two hard drives can be quite slow. Thank you Dong! Many Synology NAS applications have their own mobile versions. This is a huge deal, as Synology previously allowed these slotted SSD drives for cache purposes only, limiting their utility. Whats cool is that you can manage your download remotely via the DS Get mobile app. But they are all unreliable, at least mine was. I didnt mean to scare folks from any RAID, just wanted to set the expectations straight. The former has a faster CPU, more RAM, and two 2.5GbE Multi-Gig ports, which help deliver significantly faster raw throughput speed than the latter. The last two numbers represent the model range. This should be descriptive and consistent throughout the organization. This URL maps to the Synology IP on the LAN, so it means that you may use for example DHCP on your Synology. How do you Label episode extras and by that i mean there was an episode video but there was a interview video on the Episode. Dong, you helped me upgrade my Wi-Fi router so now Im thinking about an NAS. Also love the built in NVMe slots. The DS15xx would have 5 bays in the unit, with the option to add up to 2 expansion units that each have 5 bays, for a total of 15 bays. Weve found that theres little difference in price between buying a NAS with preinstalled disks and buying the NAS and disks separately, so if you can find a model with the right capacity disks already installed, then that would be the best option to buy.