Elta Md Pm Therapy Vs Cerave Pm, Most Valuable Baseball Cards 1993, Which Is Better Croma Or Reliance Digital, Polk County Sheriff Shooting 68 Times, North Lincolnshire Council Planning, Articles S

It originates in Igbo and means child of the supreme God. 2022 Sandbox Networks Inc. All rights reserved. Fuli (Swahili origin) means very fast. Abebe: The genesis of this Ethiopian name is Amharic, and it means 'flower' or 'blossom'. Osei (Ghanaian origin) means "noble person" or "royalty," and is common among the Akan people. It would be great if you could help me out. Ghanas founding father Kwame Nkrumah chose to name his two sons after fellow African leaders. You cant find them anywhere else. You can find some beautiful and popular African last names from countries in eastern Africa. Negga (Ethiopian origin) means "the night has passed". Here is a list of common South African names that have a rich history and lineage. 81. I suppose it depends what you mean by most common . 89. 65. Abuchi, USA, I have a western surname, presumably that of the slavemaster of my forebears. Its other variants are Wonai and Vonai. hausas are the most populous group in nigeria. 44. Abioye (Yoruba origin) meaning "son of royalty". Having its roots in Ibibio, the surname or nickname Etienam means a doer of good or benevolent. Botha Southern African, Afrikaans. Axmed (Somali origin) the variant for Ahmed. Miriam Makeba was a civil rights activist, United Nations goodwill ambassador, singer and actress. Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, Abara is a common last name in the Igbo community. If you enjoy this article are interested in finding more naming information, take a look at these Peruvian last names and these Czech last names, but for now enjoy this list of African surnames with their origins and meanings. 15. 23. Here is a list of the best and most common African last names from South Africa along with their meaning. This list may not reflect recent changes. So Ndubueze means that life is king to live is to be a king. It has its roots in Yoruba and it means a lot of wealth. Okoro (Igbo origin) meaning "greatness". The name can be translated as fullness of power. Anyone using the information provided by Kidadl does so at their own risk and we can not accept liability if things go wrong. It is generally considered to be a masculine name. It is an aspirational surname with Igbo origin, which means to be higher or to be better. 75. 28. Keita It is a Malian surname, which means blessing. A popular surname among the Yoruba people from different countries of West Africa, Abimbola means born with wealth. Hassan Origin: An Arabic name found throughout Morocco. Paul Gisemba, Kenya, Given the importance of names in my social background (among the Dinka people), I am proud to be one of those named after the famous legendary ancestor of the Dinka people of Sudan, Deng, who was believed to be the direct decendant of Adam (Garang) and Eve (Abuk). Nnadi -This name from the Igbo tribes means my God is alive or my father lives. Zodwa Dlamini is the Vice Chancellor for Research at the MUT (Mangosuthu University of Technology), a residential university located in Durban, South Africa. Eesuola It has its roots in Yoruba and it means a lot of wealth. Juma (Swahili origin) means Friday born. Your partner in parenting from baby name inspiration to college planning. It is a conventional surname across various African people and means one who is born on orie market day. Alaneme (Igbo origin) meaning "the land is active". 35. Olanrewaju (Yoruba origin) meaning "my prosperity is moving forward". 71. We hope you liked our selection. It has its origin in the Tiv language, and means fathers love. Apply this search to the user-submitted names. They speak Afrikaans and generally worship in Reformed Christian churches, but exhibit discernible non-European ancestry, in particular African ancestry. 7. Ababio Origin: Ghanaian. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. 3. Magombo Swahili, African, Swazi (Rare) Meaning unknown, possibly related from the fore name of the same name. 100. Oyinlola It is a conventional female name among the Yoruba groups and means wealth is sweet. It is suitable for boys and girls. The name list is disproportionately nigerian . More News. 70. Discover your DNA story and unlock the secrets of your ancestry and genealogy with our DNA kits for ancestry and the world's most comprehensive DNA database. Gavin Wood and Felix February shares more about the idea behind the Slave Calendar that explores the history of surnames of Capetonians. Their names are based on male lineage. Among the Igbo groups, Igwe means heaven, which is considered the highest realm of existence. South african last names starting with M We also also Afrikaan. 79. 29. West Africa is home to some of the most popular African last names. South African names are derived from a variety of African dialects and regional languages. 81. When I was born, she gave me this name NOXOLO because she wanted peace. The Akan name is widely used among the girls. The infographic below includes some popular ones from the African continent and of African descent. Back to top? Abimbola (Nigerian origin) meaning "born into wealth," the name is specific to the Yoruba people of western Nigeria. This name is primarily masculine. Names such as Mwanajuma Friday, Esi Sunday, Khamisi Thursday, and Wekesa harvest time refer to the time or day when the child was born. Madia South African. Another conventional name that praises physical strength is Orji. Interesting article, where did you source the data this research is based on. Aguta (Igbo origin) meaning "to have many". 27. Fundamental All languages Afrikaans Terms by semantic function Names Surnames. 53. Olowe -It shows the unity of the families in the Yoruba groups. Subscribe for virtual tools, STEM-inspired play, Popularized by former US president Barack Obama, the name has its origin in the Luo dialect, and means to lean or bend. 69. 82. Ameziane (Tamazight origin) means little or young, this last name is from a language that is mainly spoken in Algeria. 99. Abara is a common last name in the Igbo community. Buhle is a common surname among people who's identity is attached to the Xhosa clan. 37. This name is primarily masculine. Bongani (South African origin) means thankful or grateful in Zulu. 79. A little under 10% of South Africa's population are Cape Coloureds. Keita (Malian origin) means "blessing," found among the people of Mali. 69. 53. In Igbo, this surname means the Lord perfects all or the God repairs. 2023 Wording Vibes - WordPress Theme by Kadence WP, Classic French Boy Names that Exudes Essence and Masculinity, Best Out of Waste Ideas to Make Kids Smart and Skillful, Hippie Names that are Quite Lighthearted for Innocent Kids, A Broad Collection of Names that Mean Wind, Storm or Air, Most Modern Tamil Baby Names Popularly Used for Kids, Royal Family Last Names Globally Recognized with Regality, Ageless Aztec Names that have Transcended Time and Generations, 160+ Best Unique Names for Grandma Grandmother Nicknames. 86. Izem (Berber origin) from the Tamazight word which means lion. 37. Mandela (Xhosa origin) meaning "gift of God". 73. Information on our advertising guidelines can be found. Unlike some places, African surnames dont really follow trends or have common features or patterns. 16. 91. 5. From the first tribes on the earth to modern-day societies, African names represent ancestral meanings. Meaning: Earnest provider.. Having its origin in the Shona group of Zimbabwe, the name means a call to observe or to see that which has happened. It is primarily masculine in essence. 97. This is why many last names technically have different origins. Ihejirika -It is an Igbo surname and nickname, which conveys pride. It means descendant of the lion clan, and is suitable for both genders. There are 54 countries, between 900 and 1,500 languages, and several thousand ethnic groups in Africa, according to Britannica. 96. Thebe Medupe is an African Astrophysicist recognized for his work on a project called 'Cosmic Africa'. As Sudan is filled with many different tribes and ethnicities. It is suitable for both boys and girls. Mwanajuma -This surname has its ancestral roots in Swahili, and means born on Friday. This article contains incorrect information, This article doesnt have the information Im looking for, 100 Top South African Last Names With Meanings, 60+ Funny Orc Names That Are Perfect For Your Next Campaign, All Of The Pillar Men Names From JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, 100+ Ice Hockey, Roller Hockey, And Hockey Team Names From Past And Present, 80+ Beaver Names From Fiction, Plus Cute And Funny Ideas For Names. My name is Kwena and it means crocodile. South African (Anglicized, Archaic, Expatriate), Apply this search to the main name collection, the letters in the pattern are compared to the letters in the name, search for an exact phrase by surrounding it with double quotes, this field understands simple boolean logic, force a term to be included by preceding it with a, force a term to be excluded by preceding it with a, sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations, syllables can only be counted in names that have been assigned pronunciations, names without pronunciations are excluded from results. Dlamini is also the surname of the reigning royal family of eSwatini. An optimistic surname and first name that hopes for prosperity, Adebisi means the king/crown/royalty produced more. It is usually given to boys. It means the strong one has returned. 71. Rajnandini is an art lover and enthusiastically likes to spread her knowledge. It is typically a male name. 26. Find out how surnames are ranked in popularity, how many people in the United States of America bear a particular name, and how the statistics change between 1990 and 2000 US Censuses. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Afrikaans-language_surnames&oldid=1108286178, Template Category TOC via CatAutoTOC on category with 101200 pages, CatAutoTOC generates standard Category TOC, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 3 September 2022, at 15:23. Die Afrikaner-familienaamboek : sketse en besonderhede omtrent die voorgeslagte van bekende Afrikanerfamilies An alphabetical list of South African surnames and early genealogy connected therewith. 87. For example Gebre-Egziabher in the Ethiopian/Eritrean languages of Amharic/Tigrinya means Servant of God and those are Christian names. Obi -A mainstream name among the Igbo surnames in Nigeria, Obi means heart. This list contains Ethiopian last names, Sudanese last names and many more. 68. 50. It means sturdy or mighty tree. A well-liked Yoruba male name, Abioye means born into royalty or the son of royalty. The main difference is that African parents will not just put a label on their progeny without finding out what the label is saying about their hopes and aspirations, beliefs and culture and life experiences. 100 Unique and Most Common African Last Names (Surnames), While doing our research for African Names we found these interesting aricle parts and we feel like sharing them with you, My name (Noxolo) means peace in Xhosa. Luthuli (Zulu origin) meaning "the month of dust". We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents. Buhari meaning "is a man". It is important to know that there are over 10 official languages in South Africa. It is a conventional female name among the Yoruba groups and means wealth is sweet. Without any more delays, let's get to the good part and get to know more about some West African last names. Jlassi (Tunisian origin) means loyalty or sincerity. Eke Eke means superstructure of the roof. There are 54 countries on the African continent, and each is made up of unique people from different ethnic groups which provides a rich variety to the range of different surnames found across the continent. Okoro - Origin: Nigerian (Urhobo). From lino cutting to surfing to childrens mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. Typically found in the Akan group of Ghania, it means royalty or noble person. 77. 20. 75. 93. Eze (Igbo origin) meaning "king". Among the Hausa tribes of Nigeria, Babangida means the master of the house. One of such names is a Yoruba surname Falade, which means god of divination has intermingled with royalty. It is considered to be primarily male. Toure -This surname is possibly derived from the Sonink word tr, which means elephant. Widely used among the Yoruba families, it means help build our house or build my house for me. Zulu (Zulu origin) meaning "heaven". The following 67 pages are in this category, out of 67 total. 48. Usually found among the male population of Nigeria, this name means honor surrounds him. 10. Abioye (Nigerian origin) means "born into royalty," from the Yoruba ethnic group. It also means once or one time in the Nguni languages such as Ndebele, Xhosa, and Zulu. The following two tabs change content below. 2022 Sandbox Networks Inc. All rights reserved. Sekou Nkrumah was named after Guineas first President Sekou Toure, while Gamal Nkrumah got his name from Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser. Agu (Nigerian origin) means "tiger" and is a popular Igbo name. It means supreme or a great warrior and is usually given to boys. In the 1700s some Portuguese sailors were s. 63. Meaning: Spirit. Odili meaning "peace". In the Igbo language, Aguta means to have plenty or to have plenty/many. 90. Last name Onwuachimba means Death could never wipe out a community. 1. Afumba (Lozi origin) meaning "when they plan". 85. Sekou Nkrumah was named after Guinea's first President Sekou Toure, while Gamal Nkrumah got his name from Egyptian President Gamal . Acheampong (Ashanti origin) this last names means "destined for greatness," found among the Ashanti people of Ghana. Adisa (Yoruba origin) meaning "one who is clear". 47. 82. Third item on the film. 50. 80. I think my name shows more the hope and wish of my parents than mine (given that I am on the atheistic side of things). Mokrani (Berber origin) refers to a town in Algeria. Information on our advertising guidelines can be found. It is a Dutch/Flemish variant on the word Lowe, meaning Lion. More so, African surnames are plainly out of this world. Igwe (Igbo origin) meaning "sky". Akinyemi (Yoruba origin) meaning "destined to be a warrior". I am certain that many other cultures equally create such names. Last names or family names are surnames that identify a person's family, community, tribe, or village. Toure (Soninke origin) meaning "elephant". Meaning: Unknown. 1. Meaning: Mercy. 66. Dogo It is one of the most widely used Hausa nicknames which means little. Quansah (Ghanaian origin) meaning "God is watching". Ahishakiye (Rwandan origin) meaning "whenever God wants". 26. 59. Having its roots in Yoruba, the name means my wealth is moving forward or my wealth is the future, and it is mostly given to boys. Agwuegbo (Nigerian origin) means "the hardship is over," found among the Igbo people. Copyright 2011 - 2023 MomJunction Private Limited. I maintain the list. Our recommended activities are based on age but these are a guide. In many languages of Ethiopia for example, typical names are compounded of the divinity and some aspect of it. 56. Agrinya (Nigerian origin) means "warrior," found amongst the Ogoja people of Nigeria. It is usually given to boys. De Beer Afrikaans. This surname shows the devout nature of the people towards religion and belief in God. Mbatha meaning "protector". Meaning: The son of royalty. 22. Each last name has an origin and a meaning, and we have also included any additional information or history behind some names. What I like about this name is it reflects which tribal group of South Africa I come from. Nkosi (Nguni origin) meaning "king". Afrikaans names shared by family members. It means valor is the worth of wealth or being brave, usually given to boys. The native African surnames and last names are unique, reflective, and meaningful. Akpabio -Originating from the Ibibio group, Akpabio means leader, noble or prime. It is suitable for both boys and girls. 12. 41. Much like Scotland, most last names can date back to a particular patriarch within the tribe that which the name was based. 17. Whilst this is a list of last names, many of the last names on this list have also been used as first names too. Deressa (Ethiopian origin) the meaning of this name isnt quite clear. Please note: prices are correct and items are available at the time the article was published. It is generally regarded as suitable for boys. Okoye -It is a conventional surname across various African people and means one who is born on orie market day. Onai (Shona origin) meaning "call to observe". Kidadl is independent and to make our service free to you the reader we are supported by advertising. 38. Bankole -Widely used among the Yoruba families, it means help build our house or build my house for me. Taleb A devoted student or a seeker of knowledge, 92. Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary, Afrikaans surnames from Germanic languages, Afrikaans surnames from Indo-European languages, Afrikaans surnames from Romance languages, https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Afrikaans_surnames&oldid=67421191, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. Abimbola Origin: West African (Yoruba). 38. Conteh is a common last name adopted throughout the African mainland. Particularly, the African people dont toy with their surnames. Ray Phiri was a Malawian immigrant who went on to become one of South Africa's most renowned Jazz musicians. Nnamani -Mostly given to the men as a surname or a given name, it means my fathers land or my ancestral home. Africas different groups and tribes represent its cultural diversity and rich tradition. Mlambo (Xhosa origin) meaning "river". 45. Etienam Having its roots in Ibibio, the surname or nickname Etienam means a doer of good or benevolent. Umburter Derived from the Tiv language, it means remember the father. It is considered to be primarily male. It is suitable for boys and girls. Afumba (Zambian origin) meaning "when they plan". 77. 18. Albaz (Jewish origin) means falconer and originates from Morocco and Algeria. So I would say that perhaps one would find God in a lot more African names than one would suspect. Zammit (Tunisian origin) means servant of. Abiodun Origin: Yoruba. 77. It has its origin in the Shona groups of Zimbabwe. Uduike Udu means a clay pot to fill water, and Ike means strength. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability. 84. Chidozie (Igbo origin) meaning "God repairs". 55. Kidadl provides inspiration to entertain and educate your children. De Bruyn Afrikaans. Chidiozie is a long-established surname in many African communities. The above list includes all the meaningful surnames with their unique meanings. 45. Mensah (Akan origin) means "third child," found among the people of Ghana. Banchiamalck Dessalegn, Ethiopian in U.S. My name Derefaka figuratively means: Continuing the heritage of our fathers. Chidubem (Igbo origin) meaning "guided by God". 78. Derefaka Gogo, Canada, In Most West African countries (Togo, Benin, Ghana, Cote dIvoire), the majority of Southern people name their children based on their day of birth. Amani (Ethiopian origin) means faith. Aguta is included in the list of conservative surnames found in the African mainland. 25. 34. But by the grace of God, my first and middle names are not only African but reflect the ethnic origin of where I know my maternal ancestors come from, the Mandinka people. Malan. 31. Igwe is an extremely popular surname used by various religious subsects. Meaning: The night has passed.. Get in touch! 86. It is an Igbo surname and nickname, which conveys pride. 16. Bankole (Nigerian origin) means "help me build my house," from the Yoruba ethnic group. 55. Franklin Ayodele is a famous Nigerian footballer who has this common surname. As Africa is made up of 54 countries (making it the second-largest continent in the world), its naming systems are diverse. Badu Origin: Ghanaian. I am trying to find out if the sir name(last name) can indicate what part of Africa a person is from. 64. 76. Do you know what region or tribe that that would be from? It is usually given to boys. Mafanela South African. Obi -A mainstream name among the Igbo surnames in Nigeria, Obi means 'heart'. Farouq The redeemer, one who differentiates between the right and wrong. My name is meaningful (in your Gods name Im happy is the direct translation of my first and last names taken together). Among the Shona people of Zimbabwe, Anotidaishe means the Lord loves us. 19. Abara (Igbo origin) meaning "spirit". 62. 78. Masoja Msiza is a South African artist known for appearing in the hit telenovela 'Uzalo'. SOUTH AFRICAN SURNAMES - P PLEASE NOTE: This is ONLY a listing of who is interested in which South African families. 83. Ait (Berber origin) means son, and is found among people from Morocco. 35. 83. Cisse (Madinka origin) meaning "professor". African last names are a reflection of their customs and peculiar naming traditions. 79. Furaha It originates from the Swahili culture and means delight or happiness. Themba Ndaba is a renowned South African director who selected the cast of 'Zone 14' and 'Machine Gun Preacher'. 9. Ele It is common both as a surname and a nickname. Abara Origin: West African (Igbo). It also means the next to be crowned among the Yoruba speaking groups. Abimbola (Yoruba origin) meaning "born with wealth". Here is a list of popular South African last names. Discover the ethnic origin and meaning of last names. The rare surname means he says and does as he said he would do, and is considered to be a masculine name. 23. If you have a South African last name, you may find it in one of the categories below. Mines Margaret, or Latin for some Catholics. Elya (Ethiopian origin) meaning my God is Yahweh. Kenyatta -A common name among the Kenyan people, Kenyatta means musician. Chidubem is one of the many surnames that calls for a higher power. 99. Derived from the Tiv language, it means remember the father. It is usually considered a male name. 30. Last names come from indigenous, colonialist, and diasporic roots. 26. Pages in category "Afrikaans-language surnames" The following 148 pages are in this category, out of 148 total. 17. Okeke is an Igbo last name common in many ethnoreligious communities in South Africa. Nnadi is an extremely common surname used in much African community. Meaning: Lion., 3. Her love for content creation made her pivot her career from science to writing. The following 148 pages are in this category, out of 148 total. It means peace, suitable for a boy or a girl. Abiodun (Nigerian origin) meaning "born during festivities," and is from the Yoruba ethnic group. Oliver Tambo was a South African revolutionary and head of the ANC (African National Congress) for 24 years. 3. Name and surname: NE NTULI STUDENT NUMBER: 60283858 UNIQUE NUMBER: 888570 MODULE: PVL 2601 ASSINGMENT 1 SEMESTER 2 2020 Question 1 a. In the Wolof language, Alioune means lofty or sublime. Nkrumah is not alone in fostering the identity of Africanism the late President Mobutu Sese Seko dropped his own Christian name and even renamed his country the then Belgian Congo which became Zaire. Zadzisai -It has its roots in the Shona group of Zimbabwe, and means fulfilment of a pledge or a promise. 47. 32. If anything the french names have remained the same and are quite common in South Africa. 93. If you liked our suggestions for African Last Names then why not take a look at Scottish last names, or for more last names take a look at these Croatian surnames. It originates in Igbo and means child of the supreme God. Fungai (South African origin) means think. Haliche (Berber origin) the meaning of this name isnt quite certain. Akinyemi is a surname found mostly in descendants of the Yoruba people. Oluwusi It means kingship has increased. We will always aim to give you accurate information at the date of publication - however, information does change, so its important you do your own research, double-check and make the decision that is right for your family. They are rich in culture and have versatile meanings and pronunciations. Its variant is Chike, which means Gods power. This is why many last names technically have different origins. 87. Dive into this post for some amazing and interesting African surnames. 81. Meaning: Unknown. 60. We recommend that these ideas are used as inspiration, that ideas are undertaken with appropriate adult supervision, and that each adult uses their own discretion and knowledge of their children to consider the safety and suitability. Albert Luthuli was an African Nobel Peace Prize winner, teacher, and anti-apartheid activist. It is also a display of honor for the eze or king in some parts of Igboland. Omenma It is a nickname which also functions as the last name. Stephen Biko was an African nationalist who was at the forefront of the internal resistance to the apartheid movement. 72. Owusu meaning "strong-minded and determined". Your use of the site indicates your agreement to be bound by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. This information is for educational purposes only and not a substitution for professional health services. The Ashanti or Asante people anticipate a good future for their children by giving the name Acheampong, which means destined for greatness. The surname with Yoruba origin means god has rewarded me for my sufferings. Because I am a petite and sweet-looking woman, I find myself often underestimated and underminded.