Stabbing In Northampton Today, Modern Adaptations Of Taming Of The Shrew, Articles R

Husband and wife Steven and Michelle Chambers, whose conspicuous consumption of a luxury home, a BMW convertible, breast implants and a $600 wooden Indian, among other purchases, helped the FBI solve the crime, were assessed $3.81 million and $4.8 million, respectively. As with many recent historic events, this one had been caught on videotape, a fact that a few dozen Charlotte FBI agents would learn in a hastily organized Sunday morning meeting. Kelly says she underestimated the value of her life before the heist. You have to remember that it's Hollywood and they'll take what was a minor event and they'll blow it up and make it as funny as they can.". "He was speechless," said Sandra Floyd. Should David be killed after he gave them the money? "I" has one letter. David told her he'd need help moving the money, getting a new ID and leaving the country. To protect themselves, David and Steve didn't meet or talk. "I thought he was goofing around.". The FBI now knew Chambers had Loomis cash. ". Its kind of like that. . Keep supporting great journalism by turning off your ad blocker. I hear her typing. The FBI's final challenge is finding the remaining $2 million. I wanted to make a drastic change and I went for it," Ghantt said. Restitution is a familiar part of sentencing in federal court. Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. 1997 Harley-Davidson Road King motorcycle for sale at auction of items bought after Loomis, Fargo armored car facility heist by Steven Chambers, wife Michele, Kelly Jane Campbell & David Scott Ghanntt (Photo by Will And Deni McIntyre/Getty Images) So he convinced a local hoodlum in Mexico to try to kill Ghantt. In one case, the restitution for a Loomis defendant may be a moving target. They didn't know it, but they were leaving $3.3 million behind. Ghantt pulled out $50,000 from the back of the unmarked Loomis Fargo van. He couldn't even bear to stick around for the final tally--though when he left he didn't forget to take $6,000, the first cut of his expected $100,000 share. It wouldn't work, Kelly told him. Ghantt was already married when he took part in the heist, to a woman named Tammy who author Diamant described as very nice. It is true, however, that she had no idea about the plot and that he fled to Mexico without telling her. They cursed. Basic and voluntary life insurance plan. I flew from Atlanta to New Orleans. . That sounds like a lot of money until its compared to the $18,930,201.26 the group was ordered to pay. I don't want to be mean, but that's probably the dumbest thing they could do. That time in prison was actually good for me. Ghantt was the vault manager and was surrounded. I missed my wife. Together, they drove in a convoy to an industrial warehouse eight miles away, where Eric Payne, a fourth accomplice was. Now that Kelly believes she has found Jesus, she has become more analytical about her past. Kelly, using David's cell phone, kept beeping him. Back then, it was one of the hotspots for hiding money. Ghantt planned to live off the interest for the rest of his life. 1-4-3 is 'I love you.' Looking for Kelly Loomis? . See all of the stories here. Not a documentary. No dry runs, no rehearsals. Depression had led to smoking a lot of marijuana and taking Prozac, a combination she figures affected her judgment. David was sentenced to 7 1/2 years. Ghantt says he operates a bulldozer for a small company. At that same time, Steve was growing sick of the calls to send more money to Ghantt, and was looking for a way to end that issue. Jim Gronquist, Campbells defense attorney during the Loomis case, says the financial penalties levied against his client and her co-defendants are grossly excessive and unjust, particularly since most of the stolen Loomis money was actually recovered. His new life in Mexico had begun. Its hilarious. Given his position at the bank, hed be the one to pull off the robbery, and he intended to be ready. The agents tapped the phone, and it didnt take long to locate Ghantt after that. Steve told her to send David to Atlanta on a bus and drive back to the trailer. Nah, it was always about the money, he told the agents. As soon as Corey left, I pretended like I was leaving. Hes going to start bringing you money. Alright. Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand. In the dark, Scott inserted one key into the back door slot. At the Halloween party, though, Kelly gave in to Steve, and agreed it had to be done. Because surprise! Copyright 2022 TheAssociated Press. Not Ghantt. I just had to call you., Today, Ghantt cant look back on the whole ordeal without some degree of pride. Few who were living in the area at the time can forget the "Velvet Elvis" painting Chambers had hanging in his mansion or the tales of cosmetic surgery, BMW convertibles and other signs of excess. Ghantt was scheduled to work a shift at the armored car company Oct. 4. real kelly campbell loomis fargo heist. "I said, 'Yeah, sure.' Truth was, David wanted more than help leaving, he wanted company. She'd heard his stories of other successful schemes, like getting refunds on phony tax returns, or operating a loan shark business. But it didnt really hit me until later., On March 2nd, when the FBI agents walked up to Ghantt in Playa del Carmen and told him he was under arrest, Ghantt was relieved. There, Scott and Eric paced the floor as Steve tried to calm them down. Kelly relayed his message to Steve. He had an endearing smile, a beautiful wife and two children. And robbing a truck was dangerous. All the while, Ghantt prepared himself for the task at hand. Theres less security. The theft at the time the second-largest cash robbery in U.S. history has been the brunt of mocking movies and books, mostly on how the thieves, who had little money to begin with, could not control their spending habits once they did. A woman by the name of Kelly Campbell had worked there in 1996, and she and Ghantt had become friends in that time. He pocketed the money and told Chambers and Campbell to send him his cut in Mexico. But he tried to keep his face averted, so David wouldn't be able to ID him. Exhibit A was that Steve had no steady job but plenty of cash. Did you get paid? Kelly's company. "Think of how many women would have stood by. Why fans love it. And that's OK with Ghantt, who's just a few weeks shy of his 47th birthday, out of federal prison for more than a decade, married with a 9-year-old daughter and happy. The FBI, in fact, obtained the evidence they needed to bring down the major players, including Chambers, after catching them talking about the murder plot on the telephone via wiretap. By the time the month concluded, the couple had purchased a 7,000-square-foot stone mansion in a gated country club community. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. This real-life crime is the core of "Untitled Armored Car Project," which stars Zach Galifianakis, Owen Wilson and Kristen Wiig. I did every touristy thing you could possibly do while I was down there. how to match 8 hypercubes in bejeweled. These days, the 52-year-old husband and father lives in Jacksonville, Florida, where he works at a heavy equipment rental agency. Ghantt started at Loomis Fargo in 1994, and soon worked his way up from an armored car driver to a vault supervisor. About 200 keys dangled from it. Eventually, Steve made Kelly believe they could steal from Loomis and get away with it, she said. Working together, they got the gate open, then drove in a caravan to the Reynolds & Reynolds parking lot. One number is working in Campbells favor. David, the international fugitive, lived it up, too--for a while. Purchases included a pool table, jewelry (including a $43,000 diamond ring), a minivan, $20,000 worth of cigars, and the 7,000-square-foot home on the side of Cramer. ", "I wouldn't do it. Everybody seemed stunned. Question: How much of 'Masterminds' is true? For her part, Kelly Campbell spent six years in federal prison. Twenty-five years ago, a small group of rural North Carolinian amateur bank robbers pulled off the second-largest heist in American history. Ghantt simply got ready for work one morning knowing it would be his last day on the job. They placed a bust of Caesar in the dining room. But the idea of all that money pulled at her. . Steve told Scott to ignore the remaining stacks, which were mostly ones and fives. . The plan was to split the money three ways: Chambers, Campbell and Ghantt would each walk away with what Ghantt estimated to be $5 million a piece the kind of money that changes lives forever. First, in January, he tried to get someone to take some millions down to Mexico. Best States is an interactive platform developed by U.S. News for ranking the 50 U.S. states, alongside news analysis and daily reporting. Before long, the FBI had wiretaps on the ringleader, Steve Chambers, and then they waited for the right time to make their arrests. That October, the Chamberses' bank accounts ballooned. Campbell, a mother of two, was in the process of divorcing her. Zaron Burnett is an investigative journalist and longform features writer based in Los Angeles. When she realized Ghantt never came home from work the night before, she contacted the police and filed a missing persons report. In real life: False. "It wasn't me, it was Steve," she says she told him. Its a yes: Clover teen shakes off nerves to earn American Idol golden ticket, Mail carrier cant believe his eyes after seeing NC lottery win. Is he telling the truth? At the time, it was the largest cash heist in history. So the last third of the movie is almost entirely fiction. They ditched the Loomis van, then drove the cash-heavy Budget van to Steve's mobile home in Lincoln County, where his wife, Michele, waited with a calculator and rubber bands. For reasons that remain obscure, Robert spilled the beans to David. shes now Miss USA. She could spend time with her children and parents. He longed for the middle-class lifestyle of his childhood, with its private religious-school education and Disney World vacations. Question: Do you ever think you could have been killed? At one point, the hoodlum shows up and Ghantt is wearing a Jerome Bettis Pittsburgh Steelers jersey; the hoodlums favorite team is the Steelers, and he caves and tells Ghantt that McKinney wants him dead. That week, the FBI designated the theft its 142nd "major case," putting it on a list--begun in the 1970s--that includes such other infamous crimes as the World Trade Center bombing. Next month, Payne will back in the Charlotte federal courthouse, this time to be sentenced from weapons and methamphetamine trafficking charges. One day, the two employees were in the break room and got to talking about the news of the day a massive bank heist that just occurred in Florida by someone at their company. He says the Loomis case shows how the criminal justice system and the courts treat lower-income people differently. "That would be living on the run, and I didn't want my kids to live that way. ". If you want to go ahead and go, I got it. . He told Steve he hadn't been able to find David. By March, Steve Chambers decided he needed to do something more drastic about Ghantt, making plans to send a hitman to Mexico to silence him for good. ". But few could have guessed how spectacularly the heist would go wrong after the criminals initially got away with it. Im on the phone with Kelly [Campbell], and Im like, Hey, I really was expecting a package to arrive. At first, I just blended in with the tourists and picked up a few translation books, Ghantt explains. Steve was sentenced to 11 years 3 months in prison. Ultimately, though, the heist wasnt Ghantts idea, which meant he didnt decide who else was involved. "I was thinking, 'They aren't paying me enough,' " McKinney recalled. Michele told her mother she and Steve had been saving gambling winnings for the down payment. They entered their dogs in fights and watched them die. Thats pretty standard in restitution matters. The top-ranked pie in North Carolina doesnt look like pie at all. "I've moved on with my life," he said Tuesday. Ghantt would go on to spend six and a half years in federal prison. Then Steve pushed Scott inside, and he began throwing plastic-wrapped bundles of tens, twenties, fifties and hundreds to Eric and Steve, who placed them in three blue 55-gallon barrels. Ghantt:I've always known that story had potential to be a comedy or a drama. I mean, it was dark, Ghantt explains. But Ghantt, who served as an unpaid consultant to the movie and attended the big Los Angeles premiere earlier in the week, has no such reservations. I thought, Okay, if I get out of that bubble because the cops depend on that, even the feds my chances to get away go way up.. She didn't plan to move to Mexico. [Kelly] told me, 'Just think about it.' Sandra Floyd, Michele Chambers's mother, remembers the first time she saw the house. The bigger the amount, however, the bigger the damages to victims that likely will never be repaid: Amy Paynes collection account was closed in 2020 with her having paid $53,000 of the $274,000 she owed. You see, there's a reason Loomis Fargo used armored cars to move large amounts of cash. He had stolen $17 million from Loomis Fargo. Almost 19 years after Ghantt and a group of friends from Gaston County pulled off one of the largest cash heists in U.S. history, the movie "Masterminds" will play up the caper for laughs. Thats where they feel comfortable., This piece of information would become critical to his getaway plan. Though David had said earlier he thought there was $15 million in the vault, the sight of that much cash held them spellbound. and "I love money!" "Every time my conscience would start bothering me," Kelly recalled, "I'd smoke another joint and forget about it.". real kelly campbell loomis fargo heist. Many of the lesser players in the conspiracy have been the most effective in paying their debts. Posted on . He had just returned to his home in Jacksonville, Fla., when he agreed to talk about the heist, his life now and what went wrong when a group of friends who thought they could get away with stealing $17 million cash. There were times when I drank really heavily.". In March 1997, after Loomis Fargo & Company has been robbed of $18.8 million in Jacksonville by company security guard Philip Noel Johnson, Steve Eugene Chambers and Kelly Campbell, a former employee of Loomis, decides to rob the company. Scott Grant and Steve pulled up next to her in a Mazda. It's about the 1997 Loomis Fargo robbery also known as the "hillbillly heist" the second largest cash robbery in the history of the United States. >> PHOTOS: The Loomis Fargo heist, 25 years later Ghantt, his former co-worker Kelly Campbell and her friends Steve and Michelle Chambers, carried out the Loomis Fargo heist on Oct. 4,. He told her he wanted more of "his" cash. But after she left, she reached back out to Ghantt and brought up what theyd talked about that day in the break room. He didn't want to abandon his parents. Then, I started loading the van., Money, when bound in bulk and stacked in canvas bags, is heavier than you might expect. On the evening of October 4, 1997, one man loaded $17.3 million in cash from the vaults of Loomis, Fargo & Co. into the back of a van. If you want me to leave, Ill leave. Then, Ghantt went into another room. He then began loading $17 million in unmarked bills inside a company van before driving away. He was an old friend from East Gaston High School, tough and sure of himself. This story was originally published October 3, 2016, 9:12 PM. All rights reserved. 2500 City West Blvd., Suite 2300 Houston, TX 77042. Criminals dont usually get high-paying jobs after leaving prison. Where I was going was right there near the Cayman Islands. In hindsight, it doesnt surprise me a bit, Ghantt says, a bitter laugh catching in his throat. Once I start something, Im going to the end., As for how he felt in the moment, he says, Imagine me and you went on an airplane. Steve tried keys on a side door. . It wasn't known whether anyone would receive it. Agents began picking up signs that David definitely had help: The abandoned Loomis van with $3.3 million in small bills still inside, and phone records showing that somebody beeped him while he stole the money, using David's own cell phone. You can seize property. In real life: True. There was a little voice in my head that said, 'Don't do it. That day, FBI agents also would arrest Scott Grant and Eric Payne, who had spent his share of the money on a motorcycle and breast implants for his wife and two sisters. At 7:45, David had finished loading. The authorities didn't know yet how much was missing from the armored-car company, but Steve did. Too many questions remained: Where was the cash? Chambers did hire McKinney to kill Ghantt, but initially McKinney was making personal cash deliveries to Ghantt in Mexico on behalf of Chambers. Not until David was gone did Scott realize he didn't know which key to use. Butcher says the federal courts in the Western District of North Carolina have never handled a case quite like Loomis. . So I was glad it was over. Ghantt:I hate to say it, but I had six years of sitting in a box to think about my life. CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Kelly Campbell, the woman who helped plan the $17 million robbery of armored-car company Loomis, Fargo was sentenced yesterday to nearly six years in prison and ordered to pay back more than $4 million. About 20 ago, Campbell sent him a letter of apology, but he never responded. Just under $14 million sat in an outbuilding behind his home, inside blue steel barrels. David was excited, jabbering about their future together. Burks was also ordered to serve 15 years in prison, limiting his ability to balance his books. In real life: False. This is the person I counted as my friend. Kelly was lying. Kelly Campbell, 29, a former company employee, entered guilty pleas earlier to bank larceny, money laundering and conspiracy to commit murder charges. He hadnt checked ahead of time if the airport had any available flights, let alone if it would even be open. Loomis Armored Shreveport, LA, 1124 Forum Dr, Shreveport, LA, USA Shreveport, LA, USA Req #1990. He didnt even really question me. Thatd be the time to do it, Ghantt recalls. Theres no way to get it back, Butcher told The Charlotte Observer. Will Vin Sant Leave You Jacked or Scammed? ". Industry leading Training and Development. David said he realized then, for the first time, he might not see the millions he thought he had coming to him. Now, I kind of know something is fishy., Alone in Mexico with limited cash, Ghantt thought about turning himself in. In real life: True. My love for my family is by far the most important thing in my life. "He said, 'Yeah, right,' and turned his head. FILE - Kelly Campbell, one of the 21 people convicted for their involvement in the $17 million Loomis Fargo heist, awaits sentencing for her part in the theft at her mobile home near Mount. Three weeks after the theft, Steve and Michele moved from their Lincoln County mobile home to a $635,000 house in a gated Cramerton, N.C., neighborhood. More than 20 people ended up in the FBI's dragnet. The movie was overly silly and, based on a post-screening conversation with former Observer reporter Jeff Diamant who wrote a detailed 279-page book about the occasionally funny but mostly just-plain fascinating crime, titled Heist much of what wound up in the film is fiction. One day, the two employees were in the break room and got to talking about the news of the day a massive bank heist that just occurred in Florida by someone at their company. You cannot fine low-income people millions of dollars. . Here's what Floyd recalls: After two games of pool, Steve told him, "You know, we do a lot of gambling. "We're not the type that questions everything people tell us," Floyd said. . The bash had a Cinderella theme, with a three-tiered cake that looked like a castle. I loved it. Soon thereafter, he met Kelly Campbell, a co-worker at Loomis Fargo. Then another. He said every year he files his taxes and the IRS takes all of his tax return. Charlotte hotel chef who serves with a smile recognized as outstanding ambassador, Eritrean, Ethiopian restaurant owner was a big brother and father to many in Charlotte, Home tours: This wired-up Weddington smart home has a pool big enough for the neighborhood. The first weekday after the heist, Michele Chambers, co-conspirator Steve's wife, walked into a NationsBank branch with a briefcase containing $5,000. But it wasnt. It was one of those things everyone (at Loomis Fargo) joked about, but in time, it became serious. I knew that the news wouldnt break until later that morning. When he walked onto the plane, he was wearing big, tall cowboy boots, where hed stuffed a majority of the smuggled cash. Turns out, most of the thieves and their accomplices have been about as effective coming up with their court-ordered restitution as they were hiding their original crimes. Gaston County residents remember how that worked out. He had even scheduled a follow-up appointment at the dentist. Things went from bad to worse when, in November, Michelle strolled into a bank with a briefcase filled with 200 grand and asked the manager, How much can I deposit without the bank reporting the transaction? When she showed the bank manager that she really had the money to invest, the cash was still bound in Loomis Fargo wrappers. The plan called for David to leave the vault door ajar, then maneuver a few minutes alone at the end of his shift, long enough to loot the cash, then pass it to Kelly and Steve. One thing about teammates, in David's view: You could always trust them. In real life: True. She declined to take a lie-detector test. Steve told me to tell [David] whatever was necessary to keep him happy.". About 10 frantic minutes later, Scott found the right key. His wife, Tammy, was as shocked as Loomis officials. Scott Grant said he hesitated, but agreed if no guns would be involved. (John D. Simmons/The Charlotte Observer via AP), Police: Officer Who Shot Black Man Retired 'In Bad Standing', 3 Kansas City Officers Who Were Shot Released From Hospital, 1 Killed When Business Jet Encounters Severe Turbulence. I would call us friends. Ghantt was missing and no one, not even his wife, knew where he was. Steve also offered $100,000 to his 26-year-old cousin. . Two more defendants in the $17 million Loomis Fargo & Co. robbery last year have agreed to plead guilty, and a third person entered a formal plea in court. They picked me, he says with a rueful tone. When I call Ghantt to discuss his involvement in the Loomis Fargo heist, he confesses that hes feeling a bit tired from a day of honest labor. So yeah, Im kind of proud of it.. . There was in fact a basically similar conversation involving Chambers and Campbell that took place during a barbecue the Campbells were hosting. In real life: Mostly true. Some of the biggest numbers remaining on the Loomis collection board, as is the case with Campbell, belong to those who played the biggest role in the crime: David Ghantt, the Loomis employee who loaded all that money 2,800 pounds in all into the back of a company van before escaping to Mexico, has paid just under $50,000 of the $3.81 million he was assessed. By . I knew it was just a matter of time. Thanksgiving and Christmas were difficult. Ghantt was in fact hiding out in Mexico using McKinneys I.D., which had been sold to Chambers months earlier. On March 1, David Ghantt left his hotel to do some laundry. He was also a former FBI informant who had tipped the bureau off to a planned robbery of a Loomis Fargo armored truck that never came to fruition. Its everything thats coming north.. As with Kelly, the worst blotch on 29-year-old Eric's record until now was a driving-while-intoxicated conviction. (The conversation was depicted as 100 percent private on screen). A few of the Loomis restitution cases have already been closed either because the amount was paid in full or because the 20-year clock wound down. And I was thinking about just showing up there. . They obviously werent trying to get it right they were putting together what they believe is a better story, said Diamant. "You" has three. Campbell was released from federal custody in 2004 after serving five years, meaning her collection case will age out in December 2024. An officer rang the doorbell. Before David left for the airport, he had handed Scott an eight-inch key ring. Our success depends on our team members, and that's why it's important for us to offer an employee benefits program that is not only extremely comprehensive but also one of the best in the industry. They sweated, though the night was cool. Records show the government has garnished his Social Security checks. He partied, met women, drank, skied and hung out at the beach. Now two NC men face prison. The cash was covered with dog food. We spoke to the FBI agents who investigated the case who say the real-life. Besides her prison sentence . Health savings account and flexible spending account. He figured Tammy wouldn't go for it, and though his marriage had been troubled, he wasn't certain he wanted to leave her. So he got in a cab and went to a mall. You're an idiot.'". October was "a blast," he said. The money was heavy. Time passed, and Campbell eventually quit her job at Loomis Fargo. Hes very articulate. Steve led the planning. Things started to go south the night of the robbery. I said, It comes down to picking the right day, and the right time of the month, and all that good stuff. I even told her, It wouldnt be all that difficult. The number of people involved had ballooned after Steve started asking friends and family to help him launder the stolen cash. And I said, Hey, man, I got this. Military + Veterans. Ghantt didn't actually meet Chambers until the night of the heist, though, according to Diamant, who would go on to write a book about it.The . At 6-1 and 220 pounds, Steve was stocky and imposing, a fast talker with a brown goatee. "I was trying to figure out a way to [leave my husband] and take care of my kids without having to depend on him or any other man," Kelly said. So Im like, Can you get a move on with my money? After a couple of weeks passed, I get a phone call from Kelly: Okay, Brunos coming to you, blah, blah, blah. So I get a phone call from this guy, and I tell him where to meet me. His name was Corey. Though David had no criminal experience, he felt he could offer expert advice: He'd just finished reading a book on the FBI. The audacity of the act was breathtaking. One day, Campbell was speaking to an old friend named Steve Chambers. But you cant get blood from a stone, Johns said. I couldn't understand why I hadn't been more successful," David said. On the radio, the "John Boy and Billy" show played the song "Take the Money and Run. Guller was the attorney for Steven Chambers, who came up with the original idea for the Loomis theft. And to me, if it pisses them off, Im all for it.. Ive never taken offense to anything like that, he tells me. Anybody who gets caught up in the system is getting chewed up by it, the now-retired Gronquist told the Observer. Kelly drove her pickup to a lot across the street from the Loomis building, on Suttle Avenue in Charlotte. That was the most painful truth to come to. They set the date, Oct. 4, a Saturday when David knew he could be alone in the building after his shift. Explain? Two days after theyd robbed the Loomis Fargo truck the very same day the police found the abandoned van in the woods Steve and Michelle Chambers walked into a bank and deposited their cut of the stolen money into their account. Tags: Associated Press, courts, crime, North Carolina. Her marriage--at which she was making another ambivalent effort after multiple separations--and even the jobs she'd been able to get with a diploma couldn't come close to providing the kind of life she dreamed about, the life she felt she deserved: a house in the country, a swimming pool, and enough cash so she didn't need to rely on men. She was devastated, Diamant said. We got to the end of the day, and he was acting like he wanted to linger. He kept looking over his shoulder. When October 1997 began, Steve and Michelle Chambers lived in a double-wide trailer. Kelly would only discover later that leading up to the heist, Steve had been writing bad checks, $17,000 worth, for which he would later be convicted. Federal law stops government collection efforts 20 years after a defendant leaves prison. He hated the sweet smell of the green ink, and the $8.15-an-hour salary. ". Question: You were a consultant? 27 febrero, 2023 . ". "I felt that if I didn't do something, I was going to snap," David said. The figures can be astounding. About the same time, Kelly and McKinney received phone calls from agents who told them to open their doors. One of them tapped him on the back. In real life: Yes and no. He and co-worker Kelly Campbell, 27, had developed a close relationship and were spending time together outside of work. Ghantt was working as a vault supervisor for Loomis Fargo in Charlotte in 1997, earning about $8 an hour and tired of his humdrum life. Just head on out. And so, he did. It wasnt a big hit, but Ghantt, who was played by Galifianakis, gives it a rave review. Although David was in on most of the planning, one discussion between Steve and Kelly was kept a secret. When Ghantt was on the plane home from Mexico with the FBI, he admitted to the agents that while Campbell had been integral to why hed done it and that he did indeed have a crush on her it was never his true motivation. "We had David Ghantt and Kelly Campbell tied together, and we had Steven Chambers and Eric Payne with unexplained wealth, but we didn't have a tie between them," Agent John Wydra said. It's one of the biggest jokes at the place. Meanwhile, back in North Carolina, Ghantts wife woke up to find her husband missing.