Burtons Grill Drink Menu, All Of The Following Would Be Considered Rebating Except, Ava's Possessions Ending Explained, Charles Lee Blair, Articles L

One of the labels first signings was the Gap Band, who Simmons met through soul singer DJ Rogers (known for his 1975 smash, Say You Love Me). Super producer Lonnie Simmons.. Do your research!! Lonnie Johnson. Back up your claim with facts and then we can talk, Burt. Get peer reviews and client ratings averaging 3.9 of 5.0. The latter album went gold, while the former went platinum, selling over a million copies. 2 soul, 2 weeks; No. Heres a ranking of the biggest hits of Lonnie Simmons career as producer, writer, or label owner, based on the songs performances on the Billboard Hot Soul Singles chart (now called the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart): Also, please see this touching personal tribute by the man who created the Total Experience logo, Mohammed Mubarak. Thanks for reading and providing comments. Gap Band IV was released in May 1982 and contained three major smash hits, Early In The Morning, You Dropped A Bomb On Me and Outstanding, all co-written and/or produced by Simmons. It originally began in 1977 as a production company whose albums were released by Mercury Records before becoming a label in 1981. Shake was the first of many smashes that the Gap Band recorded for Simmons label; in 1979 and the early- to mid-80s, the trio was huge thanks to a string of major hits that also included I Dont Believe You Want to Get Up and Dance (Oops), Steppin Out, Burn Rubber, Humpin, You Dropped a Bomb on Me, Early in the Morning, Outstanding, and Party Train.. The album went platinum within a year. 4 soul, No. Gap Band Recordings Baby Baba Boogie (Lonnie . 19) on the Billboard pop chart, while selling a million copies in the process. He was founder and president of the now-defunct Total Experience Records. One of the labels first signings was the Gap Band, who Simmons met through soul singer DJ Rogers (known for his 1975 smash, Say You Love Me). While Total Experiences songs were clearly still radio hits in the mid-to-late 80s, the sales picture wasnt as pretty. He was founder and president of the now-defunct Total Experience Records. When they released The Gap Band II late in 1979, a song Simmons co-wrote with the Wilson brothers, "Oops Up Side Your Head", not only matched the success of "Shake" on the R&B charts, reaching #4 also, but exceeded it by propelling the album to over half-a-million in sales. Smh. After signing the Gap Band to Total Experience Productions, and securing the production company a label deal with Mercury Records in late 1978, Simmons himself personally produced the Gap Band's albums during their tenure, and co-wrote their breakthrough song, "Oops Up Side Your Head". 2 soul, 1 wk), Going In Circles Gap Band (1986); (No. Experience in NYC (PICS), Strategic Solutions Research Presents Nielsen Audio January '23 Ratings Today. Unfortunately, we dont have any specific information, but what do know is that he passed away earlier today (02-06-19) in his sleep. The band, consisting of twelve members, was reduced officially to the three Wilson brothers. Questions Post Question There are no questions yet for this company. For more than twenty years, Lonnie C. Simmons has fought on behalf of the little guys, ensuring they get their day in court. Simmons' nightclub booked R&B-oriented musical acts, and Simmons' interest in music led him to buy a recording studio. . Gap Band IV, released in early 1982, was the first Total Experience album release. SoulTracks is a registered trademark of SoulTracks, LLC. One of their 1984 singles, "Be a Winner", topped the R&B charts. We are continuously working to improve the accessibility of our web experience for everyone, and we welcome feedback and . InLos Angelesin the 1970s he had a club called the Total Experience which staged performances of bands who had a smaller following. Gap Band IV was released in early 1982 and spawned three singles, which all peaked in the top-40 on the dance charts and top-2 on the R&B songs: #1 "Early in the Morning", #2 "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" (both of which Simmons helped write), and #1 "Outstanding", the first two of which Simmons wrote. He started his legal career as a writ clerk at the West Virginia Supreme Court in 1982, before spending five years as a personal clerk for West Virginia Supreme Court Justice Thomas B. Miller. Total Experience Records was a record label founded by Lonnie Simmons. The album went platinum within a year. Career. Its two major acts were The Gap Band and Yarbrough & Peoples. MAX 151, Lonnie Simmons has laid the foundation for what he sees as an independent, black owned and operated record label and film company complex. Naast de single release, werd het nummer vermeld op het album Gap Band IV van de band uit 1982 . After a brief audition, Simmons exchanged contact information with them. Lonnie Simmons A tribute to the music pioneer behind the Gap Band who put the Fun in Funk, Quick reaction: Maroon 5s Super Bowl LIII Halftime Show, Dont Stop The Music Yarbrough and Peoples (1981); (No. Discover today's celebrity birthdays and explore famous people who share your birthday. Attorney. One of the label's first signings was the Gap Band, who Simmons met through soul singer DJ Rogers (known for his 1975 smash, "Say You Love Me"). Not a single one of the newcomers released more than one album with Total Experience (two of them only produced one song) and none of them scored any hits. 1290 Finnie Simmons Rd, Woodbury, TN 37190. well it may be true but after 1974/1977 Lonnie brought my IDOL FAVORITE PERSON CHARLIE WILSON and THE GAP BAND from 1977-1988 and I applaud and respect Lonnie for that .When they went to capitol they lost their FUNK roots . While in Texas in 1977, Gap Band leader Charlie Wilson discovered Alisa Peoples & Calvin Yarbrough, who were performing as part of the band, Grand Theft. Read Full Biography. Texas Reality Check - College for All Texans - Generation TX - Apply Texas - Financial Aid. 24 pop), Burn Rubber Gap Band (1981); (No. by Ed Hogan Billy Paul's sole effort for Lonnie Simmons ' Total Experience records (the Gap Band, Yarbrough and Peoples) saw the jazzy Philly soul singer slide smoothly from a live band/orchestra backing as on his sides for Gamble & Huff 's Philadelphia International Records to a synth/keyboard-based musical backdrop. One of the. At this point, we dont have any details regarding his health before his death, but Simmons was said to be in his mid -70s. forever GAPPER 1974-1988. It included Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me), another funk anthem Simmons co-wrote that would become their first No. Early In The Morning, with its famous rooster-crowing intro, was essentially a continuation of Burn Rubber, with the lyrics lamenting the jilted guy from a year earlier now having to pick up the pieces, get a fresh start and find himself another lover. Parte fundamental de Total Experience. Simmons was reportedly in his mid-70s when he passed. The latter album went gold, while the former went platinum, selling over a million copies. Its follow-up single, the funk ballad Yearning For Your Love, contributed to the growing success, peaking at No. Lonnie Simmons (December 12, 1944 - February 6, 2019) was an American record producer from Los Angeles, California. 101 pop), Shake Gap Band (1979); (No. Later in 1982, he signed Robert "Goodie" Whitfield to the label. 60 pop), I Wouldnt Lie Yarbrough and Peoples (1986); (No. #livinglegendsfoundation #BlackHistoryMonth #BlackMusic365 #BlackNightclubs #TotalExperience. COPYRIGHT 2022 EURweb.com/Rabercom Enterprises, SINQUA WALLS, KELLY PRICE SHARE SOUL TRAIN MEMORIES AT THE PREMIERE OF AMERICAN SOUL, Do You Lego?? One of the label's first signings was the Gap Band, who Simmons met through soul singer DJ Rogers (known for his 1975 smash, "Say You Love Me"). ADDITIONAL LINKS Robert was just 14 when the band gained acclaim in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The Gap Band's final hurrah with Total Experience, Straight from the Heart, got a top-40 song from the title track but failed to sell, causing the Gap Band to leave for Capitol Records. #crenshaw. The first three Simmons-produced Gap Band albums, as well as Yarbrough and Peoples debut album The Two of Us were successful enough to give Simmons credibility to establish the production company as a full label, and he officially launched Total Experience Records in 1981. 5 soul; No. He was founder and president of the now-defunct Total Experience Records. Vegas Total: 228.5 Vegas Spread: Bos -11.0 Starting with the Nets, Ben Simmons will be out in this one, but he's essentially their third-string center right now, so I don't think it entirely matters. Not to be confused with jazz saxophonist Lonnie Simmons (who played with well-known improvisers like Fats Waller and Ella Fitzgerald), the Lonnie Simmons profiled here is a funk/soul/urban contemporary The arc of Simmons success turned in the late 80s, as other Total Experience signings were less successful and as The Gap Band hits slowed down. Simmons also owned a recording studio in the '70s, and by the end of the decade, he founded Total Experience Records (which landed a distribution deal with Mercury/Polygram). However, Total Experience Records didn't have as large a roster as Motown, Philly International, or Solar, and Simmons didn't oversee a stable of multi-platinum stars -- the Gap Band was the only Total Experience act that had at least ten major hits. Lonnie Simmons and The Total Experience This mural on Crenshaw and 43rd included positive affirmations and listed natural herbs and plants used to heal the body. That year, Simmons co-wrote two songs which peaked on the R&B charts at #1 back-to-back: "Burn Rubber on Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)", which was released on The Gap Band III, and "Don't Stop the Music", which was released on Yarbrough & Peoples' debut album, The Two of Us. P. Simmons . Looking for Lonnie Simmons online? From its inception in 1981 to late 1983, Total Experience was a subsidiary label of Mercury's parent company, PolyGram. Who did you see there? Robert n Charlie was Funky!!! From 1983-1988, he served as a personal clerk for West Virginia Supreme Court Justice Thomas B. Miller. It originally began in 1977 as a production company whose albums were released by Mercury Records before becoming a label in 1981. Lonnie Simmons, Jonah Ellis: Rate: Comments and Reviews Add a Comment or Review about this item. Lonnie Simmons first came up in the industry in the early 1970s by way of his South Central L.A. nightclub that bore the Total Experience moniker that would later become the name of his production company, recording studio and record label. Lonnie will be forever cherished by: two sons, Ervin and Calvin Simmons; Grandchildren; Great-Grandchildren; Great-Great . RealTracs MLS as distributed by MLS GRID. Welcome Guest! Last edited on 17 September 2022, at 03:58, Learn how and when to remove this template message, Burn Rubber on Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me), "Lonnie Simmons: The Man Who Discovered The Gap Band Has Died", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Lonnie_Simmons&oldid=1110720171, This page was last edited on 17 September 2022, at 03:58. 1 soul, 1 week; No. Random stat: out of the top 50 players in total points all-time, Stephen Curry is the only player with a career TS% greater than 62%. 5 soul) and opening up the Gap Band to an ever-widening audience who could appreciate both their harder funk and their slow jams. But thanks to Simmons, the Gap Bands fortunes improved considerably in 1979, when Total Experience Records put out the groups third album. Total Experience Records was a record label founded by Lonnie Simmons. Lonnie Simmons (December 12, 1944 - February 6, 2019) was an American record producer from Los Angeles, California. Total Experience Records was a record label founded by Lonnie Simmons. Find Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and TikTok profiles, images and more on IDCrawl - free people search website. With No. Not to be confused with jazz saxophonist Lonnie Simmons (who played with well-known improvisers like Fats Waller and Ella Fitzgerald), the Lonnie Simmons profiled here is a funk/soul/urban contemporary. Kodak Black Caught Having Sex in White Teacher Hits The Jerk as Students Go Wild Are AKAs Too Insecure? The band, consisting of twelve members, was reduced officially to the three Wilson brothers. Baby Baba Boogie(Lonnie Simmons/CharlieWilson) Oceanography great Walter Munk; producer and songwriter Lonnie Simmons; journalist and writer - 4 years ago Lonnie Simmons operated an LA nightclub in the mid-1970s called The Total Experience. His debut album, Call Me Goodie, peaked at #31 R&B. One of the label's first signings was the Gap Band, who Simmons met through soul singer DJ Rogers (known for his 1975 smash, "Say You Love Me"). Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, What Happens Now? Career [ edit] . By the end of the decade, Total Experience shut down, but not before staking its claim as one of the truly great funk labels of the 80s. 06/24/22--8454 Jim Cummings Hwy, Bradyville, TN. Southern California Institute Of Technology. Lonnie Simmons (December 12, 1944 - February 6, 2019) was an American record producer from Los Angeles, California. Their first Total Experience-produced single, 1979's "Shake", went to #4 on the R&B charts. Simmons came to Hollywood in the late '60s after graduating from North Texas State University. The arc of Simmons success turned in the late 80s, as other Total Experience signings were less successful and as The Gap Band hits slowed down. Hollywood Beauty Awards Announce Viola Davis, Carey Mulligan, Jenny Cho Joe Manganiello & Sonequa Martin-Green To Join Presenter Lineup, Get Ariana DeBose SAG Glam Look by Andra Tiller and Takisha Sturdivant-Drew, Watch SAG Awards: Jamie Lee Curtis, Michelle Yeoh and More Win Big, VitakraftLick n Lap Cat Treats Get Four Paws Up, Wanda Sykes Comedy Special Premieres This May on Netflix, Listen To Jonas Brothers New Single Wings, Pedro Pascal and Jon Favreau Pose At The Forge: Inspired by The Mandalorian Exhibit, Watch: Robert De Niro and Sebastian Maniscalco Star In ABOUT MY FATHER, 2023 EE BAFTA Film Awards Winners Include Elvis and The Banshees of Inisherin, Law & Order TV Detective and Comedian Richard Belzer Dies At Age 78, Ryan Seacrest Is Leaving Live With Kelly and Ryan. Boasting the smash hit Shake, that self-titled LP made the Gap Band superstars. Total Experience Records was a record label founded by Lonnie Simmons.Its two major acts were The Gap Band and Yarbrough & Peoples.It originally began in 1977 as a production company whose albums were released by Mercury Records before becoming a label in 1981. 31 pop), Beep A Freak Gap Band (1985); (No. Heres what his friend, singer Howard Huntsberry, posted onFacebook: My heart is heavy right now. Simmons also owned a recording studio in the '70s, and by the end of the decade, he founded Total Experience Records (which landed a distribution deal with Mercury/Polygram). As a composer, he co-wrote several #1 R&B songs for his label's major acts, The Gap Band and Yarbrough and Peoples. 1 song of 2015, Uptown Funk, by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars. Lonnie Simmons, who remained in the entertainment industry by doing motion picture and video production, continued to reap the rewards of his earlier successes from his songs being sampled on hundreds of future R&B and hip-hop songs. The duo Yarborough & Peoples were also produced by Lonnie Simmons and recorded his songs on the Total Experience label. 1 on the soul singles chart (exactly 38 years ago this week; February 14, 1981). Party Train, one of only two Gap Band V tracks actually produced by Simmons, peaked at No. Died on February 6, 2019. As a composer, he co-wrote several #1 R&B songs for his label's major acts, The Gap Band and Yarbrough and Peoples. But thanks to Simmons, the Gap Band's fortunes improved considerably in 1979, when Total Experience Records put out the group's third album. The Pulse of Entertainment: Jazz Pianist Melvin Johnson Debuts with Little Chris Rock Jokes Enjoying Watching Will Smith Get Whipped in Emancipation Chris Rock Jokes Enjoying Watching Will Smith Get Whipped in Emancipation + Nivea, Tamar Braxton, Evelyn Lozada & More | PicsVideos, The Moment Tamar & Toni Learn Chaka Khan Sings Reading Rainbow Theme Yung Miami is About Self-love in 2023 & More | PicsVideos, Tatyana Ali Says New Bel-Air Role is Full Circle Moment Adrienne Bailon Covers Harpers Bazaar & More | PicsVideos, CeCe Winans Says Whitney Houstons Im Every Woman is Demonic + Joe Bully Budden Talks BS About Michael B. Jordan & More | PicsVideos, Travis Scott WANTED by NYPD Drew Sidora (RHOA) & Hubby File Divorce Papers on Each Other + More | PicsVideos, City of Houston, Residents Honored for National Water Challenge. , money, salary, income, and assets. Lonnie Simmons background Via AllMusic.com: The Los Angeles resident started making a name for himself in the R&B world in the 70s, when he operated a South Central L.A. nightclub called the Total Experience (which was located on Crenshaw Boulevard, one of the most famous thoroughfares in L.A.s African-American community). A year later, Yarbrough and Peoples would match Beep with Guilty, a song they took to No. Music written by Lonnie Simmons has been sampled heavily in contemporary R&B and hip hop music. 1 single, All Of My Love, in 1989. They featured Cuba Gooding, The Dramatics, Side Effect, The Young Hearts, The Stylistics, The Delfonics, The Gap Band, DJ Rogers, and many more. It became the Gap Bands biggest hit by spending three weeks at No. Lonnie Simmons, a pioneer of funk and a legend who helped transform the black music scene in the 1980s during its post-disco doldrums. Later in 1982, he signed Robert "Goodie" Whitfield to the label. Heres what his friend, singer Howard Huntsberry, posted on Facebook: My heart is heavy right now. During this year's WVU visit, Attorney Lonnie C. Simmons argued a case before the West Virginia Supreme Court. after they did IM GONNA GIT YOU SUCKA SDK in 1988 it wasnt the same so yeah DJ Rob I agree with to have more evidence for backup but in my opinion CHARLIE WILSON was TOTAL EXPERIENCES ultimate star and breadwinner and Lonnie Simmons CREATED THE GAP BAND into the FUNKIEST R&B Stars of the 80s HUMPIN is what got me into the The Gap band at 8 years old with Lonnie taking producing credit partially . And Burn Rubber, Simmons most sampled tune, appears in 118 different songs, including classics by NWA, Dr. Dre, Public Enemy and 2Pac. A p indicates a writer/producer who also performed at least one song on the label. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Lonnie Simmons operated an LA nightclub in the mid-1970s called The Total Experience. Impressed with their talents, Simmons signed them to his production company and had them record their first hit, which he co-wrote a funky mid-tempo groove entitled Dont Stop The Music (how many readers remember that inescapable chorus sung by a nasally Cavin Yarbrough dont you stop it, dont you stop, dont stop the music?). Lonnie Simmons died February 6, 2019, from undisclosed causes, leaving behind a funk music legacy that rivaled any of his peers during the post-disco era of the early 1980s sales-wise one of the lowest periods in black music history. Simmons also owned a recording studio in the 70s, and by the end of the decade, he founded Total Experience Records (which landed a distribution deal with Mercury/Polygram). 0: 0-Private player. From its inception in 1981 to late 1983, Total Experience was a subsidiary label of Mercury's parent company, PolyGram. Thank you for a great first year! Lonnie Simmonss income source is mostly from being a successful Soundtrack. Simmons had co-written only one song on The Gap Band but co-wrote six of The Gap Band II's seven tracks. Lonnie Simmons first came up in the industry in the early 1970s by way of his South Central L.A. nightclub that bore the Total Experience moniker that would later become the name of his production company, recording studio and record label. He then transferred the Gap Band and Yarbrough & Peoples (who were already signed to his production company) to the Total Experience label. My friend for over 40 years has passed away. I dare say that without Lonnies influence, whatever that may be, we wouldnt have heard of the Gap Band. Later in 1984, the Gap Band released Gap Band VI, which included Simmons co-penned hit Beep A Freak, another gimmick-filled song (with lots of beeps) that peaked at No. All rights reserved. By the end of the decade, Total Experience shut down, but not before staking its claim as one of the truly great funk labels of the 80s. Lonnie had a recording studio in the building and produced hits on The Gap Band, Yarbrough and Peoples, Switch and more. In 1978, he signed a little-known R&B act, the Greenwood, Archer and Pine Street Band, (shortened in 1973 by a typo to the Gap Band) to his production company, and secured a record deal with Mercury Records. My friends and I would skateboard to the arcade, eat Chili-Fritos and The album went gold, headlined by the only Simmons co-penned single, "Party Train", which went to #3 on the R&B charts. 2 soul, 4 weeks; No. WHO WE AREThe news you want unfiltered.The Electronic Urban Report/EUR puts the most buzz worthy African American news at your fingertips. DJd at Total Experience. RIP brother. 1 and crossing over to the top 20 (No. Its two major acts were The Gap Band and Yarbrough & Peoples. In the 1970s, Lonnie Simmons operated a club on Crenshaw Boulvevard in South Central Los Angeles called The Total Experience, similar to the West-Hollywood Roxy Theatre. Boasting the smash hit Shake, that self-titled LP made the Gap Band superstars. 181 satisfied customers. Nonetheless, his contributions to R&B in the '70s and '80s were impressive -- and in the early 2000s, hip-hop producers were continuing to sample his work with the Gap Band and, to a lesser degree, Yarbrough & Peoples. Omg you give Lonnie too much credit! While we share the sadness of many in hearing of his death, we also celebrate a decade of incredible music that Simmons helped give to music fans around the world. well CHARLIE WILSON often said his producer was bankrolling him and his brothers during his solo career and said Charlie was nothing without him .and drove him poor. Lonnie helped a lot of people quietly and that is a fact!. $1,766,152. 1 singles by different artists on the soul chart. View popular celebrities life details, birth signs and real ages. "Party Train" Charlie Wilson, Lonnie Simmons, Rudy Taylor, Ronnie Wilson: Gap Band V: Jammin' (1983) 5:42: Total length: 1:17:26: References This page was last edited on 2 March 2023, at 05:16 (UTC). 9.97 ACRES. In 1984, it was Yarbrough and Peoples who would return to the top of the charts. The label's post 1984 holdings now belong to Minder Music, while its PolyGram-distributed holdings, and the complete catalogues of Yarbrough & Peoples and the Gap Band belong to Universal Music Enterprises. But two things would happen later that year that would propel Simmons and his top group to higher heights than even they couldve imagined. His debut album, Call Me Goodie, peaked at #31 R&B. One of their 1984 singles, "Be a Winner", topped the R&B charts. Lonnie Simmons (December 12, 1944 - February 6, 2019) was an American record producer from Los Angeles, California. That formula had worked for Total Experience and the Gap Band for three years and wasnt about to end now. The Gap Band's 1983 release, Gap Band V: Jammin' (#2 R&B, #28 Billboard 200), saw Simmons take a reduced writing/producing role; he co-wrote only one song. See and be there, from here. 1 on the soul chart in February 1983 between the No. In the late 1970s he founded Total Experience Records, which got a distribution deal with Mercury/Polygram, and he signed up the Gap Band who he had met through DJ Rogers. It was the first album producer Lonnie Simmons released directly on his label, Total Experience Records. Simmons also owned a recording studio in the '70s, and by the end of the decade, he founded Total Experience Records (which landed a distribution deal with Mercury/Polygram). Ud over singleudgivelsen blev sangen omtalt p bandets album fra 1982 Gap Band IV. Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution . . Unfortunately, after being closed for years, the club burned to the ground on January 20, 2021, 2 years after Lonnies death. Lonnie Simmons (December 12, 1944 - February 6, 2019) was an American record producer from Los Angeles, California. (The club made several appearances in movies like Dolemite and Black Fist. (1983) " You Dropped a Bomb on Me" er en sang fremfrt af Gap Band, udgivet i 1982 p producer Lonnie Simmons 'label, Total Experience Records.