Hays County Noise Ordinance, Opryland Hotel Nashville Indoor Pool, The Greatest Of All Time Soccer Webnovel, Low Income Senior Housing Helena, Mt, Satnam Singh Net Worth 2021, Articles B

Bobby Mathews is a contributor for Pro Wrestling Stories as well as a veteran journalist whose byline has appeared in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The Birmingham News, The Denver Post, as well as other newspapers around the country. All Rights Reserved, Follow Us on Snapchat for All Our Breaking News. Thesz came in, he was about 55 years old and I was in my prime and I said, Lou, do you want me to slow down a little bit? That was the biggest mistake I ever made. And listen Jay, Fla., is not even on the map. Translation on Find a Grave is an ongoing project. For his part, Armstrong often credited his beloved wife, Gail, as the secret to his success. He has three brothers who also entered the wrestling business: Scott, Brad (who died in 2012) and Brian. It is with a very heavy heart we . Following the death of Gail, Armstrong moved into the home of one of his sons, Brian, to spend his final days. Bob Armstrong continued working in the territories into the 1980s, feuding with some of the biggest stars in wrestling including Rowdy Roddy Piper,Ted DiBiase, and Ric Flair. The Armstrong Family (real surname James, Armstrong is a ring name) is originally from Georgia, but a couple members, including Bullet, have found home in the Pensacola and Gulf Breeze areas. They went back to Continental Championship Wrestling (formerly SCW) and feuded with Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden over the Tag Team Titles. (Use code PWS for a nice surprise). So sorry to hear about the passing of WWE Hall of Famer Bullet Bob Armstrong. Joseph Melton James (October 3, 1939 August 27, 2020) was an American professional wrestler, better known by his ring name, "Bullet" Bob Armstrong. Armstrong trained each of his sons to wrestle, and formed tag teams with them in the 1980s and 1990s. Continuing with this request will add an alert to the cemetery page and any new volunteers will have the opportunity to fulfill your request. Feuded for years but will love each other forever, said Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller (Welch). Bullet Bob Armstrong (left) with son and tag team partner, Brad Armstrong. Bob went in there with her. Armstrongs mix of brawling and martial arts moves gave him an eclectic style and fans cheered when he talked of jacking opponents jaws.. Thank you for fulfilling this photo request. Taping Mar 28th 2006: Konnan: draw (NC) Bob Armstrong: arm wrestling: TNA Destination X '06 Mar . WWE Hall of Famer and legend "Bullet" Bob Armstrong has died at 80, his sons announced on Thursday night. They were great for the show, great in the locker room.. Steve Armstrong started wrestling in 1983 in the Alabama-based Southeast Championship Wrestling. Synnm. That was Bullet.. ). The Bullet last stepped into the ring in 2019 when he was 79 58 years after his very first match. "Bullet" Bob, the patriarch of one of pro wrestling's most beloved families, passed away on August 27 at the age of 80. I thought you might like to see a memorial for Bob Bullet Armstrong I found on Findagrave.com. It was only cancer, so he was still working out, said Cornette. Armstrong wrestled his last match on May 11, 2019, for Continental Championship Wrestling in Dothan, Alabama, where he defeated The Assassin. In both respects, he has been revered as a man of honor. Dusty Rhodes and Tully Blanchard Attempted Murder on Live TV, Dale Pierce Remembered Wrestling Manager Extraordinaire, Larry Sweeney: A Tragedy of a Man Who Had It All, Mad Maxine: Mohawks, Moolah, and Her Surprising Story, Chief Don Eagle: Native American Wrestling Pioneer, Lou Thesz The Side Business Hustles of a Champion Wrestler, Ric Flair and Terry Funk: A Feud to Remember, Ann Gunkel and the NWAs Heated Battle for Atlanta, Brickhouse Brown Passes Away After Initially Kicking Out From Death, Roddy Piper and Ric Flair A Less Familiar Story, Bobby Eaton: Secret History of a Beautiful Wrestler, Ron Simmons: Untold Tale Behind Becoming WCW Champion. Upon being inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2011, the . From a Marine as a young man, a great athlete and legitimate tough guy, a role model for wrestlers, and an icon to fans and the common man, he will never be forgotten! Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. I wanted Brad Armstrong (one of Bobs four sons) as my first champion, and I didnt get him because he was under contract, said Cornette. I also learned the art of cutting a promo from him. We went 45 minutes and I dont think he drew a tired breath.. Armstrong, who had lived in the Pensacola area for years, had moved into an assisted living facility to be with his wife, who was suffering from Alzheimers disease. High 79F. The Genius Cast with Lanny Poffo (2018-19), HOMAGE.com Our favorite in retro wrestling attire! After his run with WCW he made a few appearances for the resurrected Continental Championship Wrestling from 2002 to 2005. Bob Armstrong, who passed away Aug. 27 at the age of 80, was widely known as the patriarch of one of the most legendary families of Southern wrestling. Provided, Bob Armstrong was one of the giants of Southern wrestling. He worked exactly like you would have expected this guy to work. Bob just happened to call me the next day, and my son answered the phone and told him that they were waiting to take me in for surgery when my body got better. On August 27, 2020, Bob Armstrong died at the age of 80. During the 60s it wasnt uncommon to see the Fighting Fireman rush to the Channel 11 studio in Atlanta after finishing a shift as a Cobb County fireman, only to put out another fire, this time inside a wrestling ring during the weekly TV tapings. Bob Armstrong squares off with the Mongolian Stomper. Gimmick: Year: Youll never tire of him as a face because he was every single man out there. He frequently wrestled for affiliates of the National Wrestling Alliance, and on October 9, 1974, in Miami Beach, Florida, Armstrong unsuccessfully challenged Jack Brisco for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. He was proud as hell of his boys, Brad, Scott, Steve, and Brian, and they loved their father just as fiercely. They would go on to face The Amazing French Canadians and The Faces of Fear during the remainder of 1996. Even at age 80, with cancer having spread into his bones throughout much of his once chiseled body, Armstrong was battling like he had all those years inside a wrestling ring. Brian G. James (@WWERoadDogg) August 28, 2020. In Georgia Championship Wrestling, Bob once told Roddy Piper that the Rowdy Scotsman wasnt in his league, because jackasses dont run with racehorses. Bob's health has deteriorated rapidly.. Below is a tweet from his son as well as WWE's announcement: It is with a very heavy heart we announce the passing of our Father and @WWE Hall of Famer "Bullet" Bob Armstrong. James (The James Gang) faced the Latin American Exchange, with B.G. Success continued for The Armstrong Brothers in 1999. No BS. Armstrong wrestled alongside each of them in tag team matches throughout the 90s and 2000s. Provided/Chris Swisher Collection. And it was him. But that was just him., His son Brian shared a tribute on Twitter, writing, Today I pray that I keep my head up, celebrating the life and legacy of my hero, my father. This led to a rematch at Lockdown on April 23, in which Armstrong scored the pin. August 27, 2020) was an American professional wrestler, better known by his ring name, "Bullet" Bob Armstrong. Platt said the funeral in Jay, Fla., was well attended despite the pandemic and Labor Day weekend. This relationship is not possible based on lifespan dates. Sadly he was recently widowed after his wife of 60 years had passed away two months ago. If you notice a problem with the translation, please send a message to [emailprotected] and include a link to the page and details about the problem. Armstrong's wife of 42 years, Miranna, died in 2008, the statement said. Learn about how to make the most of a memorial. The WWE Hall Of Famer took to the squared circle for one final time as he competed in his last match at the . For his part, Armstrong often credited his beloved wife, Gail, as the secret to his success. He was at the gym doing pullovers when the bench, which wasnt properly bolted down, came apart and broke, bringing down a 185-pound barbell on his face, breaking a number of bones and tearing off part of his nose. Armstrong suffered severe injuries in a mid-80s weightlifting accident that nearly cut his wrestling career short. Joseph James!, Platt shared the story at his friends service. Outside of it, he raised four boys who would proudly carry on his legacy. He chose not to seek treatment for the cancer, even as it swept through the rest of his body. cemeteries found within kilometers of your location will be saved to your photo volunteer list. Bob Armstrong served his country in the Marines and returned to Marietta, Ga., to work as a fireman and become a pro wrestler. For whatever reason, because the business has changed, you cant find guys like this anymore that have everything. ternary operator with multiple conditions in angular. Failed to remove flower. However, there was , Weve profiled 40 wrestlers who sadly, didnt make it to see age 40, including many enhancement talent names of the , Heart Attack / Heart Failure / Heart Disease, Comprehensive Deceased Wrestlers List (text-only), Comprehensive Deceased Managers List (text-only), 8 Things You May Not Have Known About Rick Rude. This helps us provide free content for you to enjoy! Well I came through the other side after seven days on the ventilator. I also pray to remain thankful to my Heavenly Father for the gift of being born to my mom and dad!. [2][1] When he was a child, Joseph James's father took him to see Gorgeous George wrestle. Born Joseph Melton James on Oct. 3, 1939, on a farm near Marietta, Ga., Bob Armstrong would leave his indelible mark on the wrestling business through a six-decade career in the ring and four sons who would carry on his legacy and family tradition. Bob Armstrong: Bio In the ring, "Bullet" Bob Armstrong carved out distinction as a tough, working-class hero who would never back down from a fight. He could move. Cart; vw t2 electric conversion kit "It is with a very heavy heart we announce the passing of our Father and @WWE Hall of Famer 'Bullet' Bob Armstrong. For his part, Armstrong often credited his beloved wife, Gail, as the secret to his success. We are so thankful that our Father was able to be at her side until the very end. May 26, 2009. Everyone here at CAC is deeply saddened to hear that wrestling Legend and WWE Hall of Famer "Bullet" Bob Armstrong has passed away at the age of 80. . May he rest in peace with his lovely bride! Ron Fuller (Welch) posted on social media. Ronda Rousey Injury Update: WrestleMania 39 Appearance at Risk? He was more concerned about me than him, said Platt. He was 80. Armstrong's eldest son Scott - best known for being a WWE referee - posted the news online, with a picture of his dad on a weight machine. In June 1996 they were defeated by Public Enemy, and on the July 1 edition they were defeated again by Arn Anderson and Ric Flair. In 1990, The Southern Boys went to World Championship Wrestling and feuded with The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes and Jimmy Garvin). He could cut that promo not just a drab babyface promo. After this they moved on to a brief series of matches with Harlem Heat, and in May 1997 defeated the new duo of Jim Powers and Bobby Walker, the latter put together by Teddy Long. An ex-Marine and firefighter, the charismatic Armstrong was a superhero to an audience that believed in him. Years later at a dance, after he had become a regional artist, this guy tried to jump him because his girlfriend was taking a liking to Billy Joe. The Armstrong boys often found themselves in their dad's corner, as "Bullet" Bob partnered with each of his sons at various points in a competitive career which spanned over six decades. "Bullet" Bob Armstrong Highlight Video. [4] He died from complications of bone cancer on August 27, 2020, at the age of 80.[5]. Footage from Armstrong's knee surgery earlier that month aired on iMPACT! I'm an old guy and have been a wrestling fan since I was young. Admittedly, he and his wife were tough . Armstrong required extensive plastic surgery, but like any true professional wrestler, he incorporated the injury into a storyline, donning a mask and claiming an opponent had injured him. On December 12, 2001, he teamed with Dusty Rhodes and Larry Zbyszko to defeat Barry Windham, Ron Reis and Steve Lawler at Turnbuckle Championship Wrestling. Bob's four sons would eventually follow in their father's footsteps, with Brian going on to compete in WWE as "Road Dogg" Jesse James. The big arms. 148 Williman Street In his emotional tribute, Scott Armstrong revealed that their father "Bullet" Bob Armstrong was by her side until the end. Ten years. James" in TNA. In July he began teaming with his brother Scott as The James Boys. Ive told you about the performer, but I also want to tell you a little bit about the man. Found more than one record for entered Email, You need to confirm this account before you can sign in. Not only was Bob Armstrong a great wrestler and the head of a great wrestling family and a great person in general, but he was special to me in several different parts of my life, specifically in Smoky Mountain Wrestling, where he made the company. WWE Hall of Famer, Bullet Bob Armstrong has died after a bout with bone cancer. The last time I saw him, Pep was in a lot of pain, and that was pretty evident by the way he carried himself. The mornings can be particularly painful for legendary pro wrestler Bob Armstrong, who at 69 continues to climb into the ring to . We took Billy Joe to the Redhouse Caf. WWE issued the following statement on Armstrong's passing: WWE Hall of Famer 'Bullet' Bob Armstrong passes away